Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S station wagon design, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the rear of the MS is more horizontal than vertical, which is more 'liftback' territory that 'hatchback'.

Think Toyota Celica/Supra versus something like a Honda Fit or Subaru.

</splitting hairs>

I think the term "liftback" was coined mainly because "hatchback" seems to have a kind of "econobox" connotation. Back in the '80s I had a Chrysler Lebaron GTS which was also a 4-door hatchback, and it had the same kind of contour as the Model S with the flat deck behind the rear window.

I never hear the Model S ever referred to as a "Hatchback" or "Liftback" and always as a "Sedan". Even the area I would call the "hatch" is referred to as the "trunk". I assume this is just spin due to the associations with certain labels.

EDIT: I actually prefer the hatchback body style myself. Much more cargo-friendly compared to a traditional trunk.

I never hear the Model S ever referred to as a "Hatchback" or "Liftback" and always as a "Sedan". Even the area I would call the "hatch" is referred to as the "trunk". I assume this is just spin due to the associations with certain labels.

EDIT: I actually prefer the hatchback body style myself. Much more cargo-friendly compared to a traditional trunk.

Totally agree!

I think the market for a wagon would not provide an adequate ROI for Tesla. And what's the need? The space capacity of the Model S is already nearly the equivalent of many conventional wagons.

It won't happen -- not consistent with Tesla's strategy going forward.

Rear seat headroom for people over 5' 10" tall. More room for stuff behind the passenger compartment. Possibly, true 7 passenger S...

Shared album - Ted Kidd - Google Photos
Shared album - Ted Kidd - Google Photos

I'm a wagon lover and love this one that's been around for a while, just gives a bit more
room in the back, shame the model X wasn't this shape.

model-s-wagon.jpg

The issue I see with that design is that the minimal added cargo capacity would not be worth the loss of the sheer beauty of the design for me. And I actually love wagons for their utility, since I have two big dogs.

But they aren't allowed in the car anyway. As a matter of fact, they aren't even allowed to look at it!

Crazy mongrels.

I think this is stunning. Better looking than the current sedan.

+1. Not sure how Europe avoided cultural brainwashing into disliking wagons.

The fact I can't sit comfortably in the back of a car of this size seems a big design flaw. Non pano very uncomfortable. Pano a little better, but my head is pressing the glass. Design compromise bothers me even more than the armrests, and lack of rear armrests.

wagons are still popular in Europe because very few can afford to gas up an SUV when gas is around $8 a gallon.

I don't think that's the reason. SUVs are rather popular in Europe as well.

There are just more people around here who think that wagons actually look nice. Myself included. More cargo volume and passenger comfort on back seats is cool, but I actually prefer wagons because of their looks. Audi Avant, BMW Touring, VW Variant… very good-looking cars (car variants), especially in recent years.

It's not that I dislike sedans or SUVs. I just prefer wagons. :D

Never understood why American's don't like wagons. They make the most sense. It could be that most American's are quite daft. You've already cut through the air, so you may as well take the vehicle height all the way to the back adding tons of space instead of a traditional sedan. I'd buy a wagon Tesla in a heartbeat. I think they missed it with the X. Quite ugly.