Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Supercar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are probably other threads on this but I haven't seen them.

Im wondering how adaptable the Model S platform is to pushing performance beyond the current top specs as a high end sort of Nurburgring edition.

Clearly the platform can have AWD with a second motor as for the Model X. Does that imply a Model S with two 416 hp motors...832 hp is achievable without lots of expensive reengineering of basic systems? Obviously running at peak performance it wouldn't have much range but an 800 hp 150 mph nurburgring competitor would be quite a halo vehicle even at twice the price of the current performance S.

I agree that half of that is already outrageous, but they've done it, and the motor is clearly possible based on Model X designs so I'm wondering if the power can be supplied in some way short of doubling up on the battery pack and adding 1500 lbs.

I like your thinking but the Model S would be a dog around the Nurburgring. In it's current form with a single motor, the motor gets hot and limits power after a few km of track driving. Some upgrades to cooling would be needed. Also I suspect (based on an e-mail conversation with JB) that the battery isn't designed to supply the high current levels needed for any length of time either, and that is with a single motor. I suppose they could remove these firmware limits, but longevity would be greatly shortened for both the motor and battery pack.

The other problem is the single speed gearbox, the car is limited to 133mph.

However if they beefed up cooling, tweaked the firmware and added a 2nd motor they could have something extra special on their hands. Others have mentioned before that a 2nd motor could be geared differently to enable a higher top speed, or they could use both motors and gear both taller to maintain current accelerations levels with a higher top speed...

All that said I'm very interested to see what Tesla does with future iterations of Model S and future cars. The AWD P++ Model S might be worth upgrading for. :)

Tesla's stated goals are much more important and more difficiult than making a handful of supercars. Instead they are growing a brand new auto manufacturing company with enough scale to compete with the entrenched big players, and to bring EV technology up to were it can compete, and beat, ICE tech.

No small job as either goal would have been considered impossible, before Tesla started to show the world how it can be done.

GSP

I don't think Tesla has any interest in supercars. The Roadster was part of a plan to eventually make a mass-market car and it wasn't a supercar. I don't see you will ever see anything more than a sportscar at the high end from Tesla. Elon has other things to do than make toys for the elite of the elite. His stated goals are a mass market EV that is equal to or better than the ICE cars we live with today. The Roadster advanced that goal, at this time a supercar would just be a distraction. Plus the level of white glove service a supercar would demand would be a major distraction and impede other projects.

Ok, here is what we think we know-
There is a difference in SuperCharging capability between the first cars and subsequent production. The charge path related wiring appears to be the same so I'm guessing the chemistry changed. My RC experience tells me that, if you can charge faster, you can discharge faster.
MX will have all wheel drive and will be based on the MS skateboard.

If I were a Tesla geek, I'd want to play with that all wheel drive system a bit before committing to building it in MX numbers. A limited edition MS with AWD would allow for a 420ish hp motor in the rear and a 200ish hp motor in the front. If the battery can take higher charge currents than it is not unreasonable to think that it can source larger currents for short periods of time. To me, it makes perfect sense.

WRT the whole super car idea, I simply can not place a 4700lb car in the same continent as a carbon tubbed V12 ICE. They are too completely different animals. Most do not take their V12 twin turbo AMG S Classes out to the NR. I see a 600 hp AWD MS in the same light.

Just a guess but I hope I'm correct. If I am, anyone want a slightly used P+????