Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When in the Portland Oregon area the first week of June we had to take our S into service to replace a tire pressure sensor. Our S was delivered in 2012 so it has original versions of the sensors. Just this week it is happening again. Now we are scheduled for a visit to the Palo Alto service center in early September. I'm planning to ask them if they could just replace them all at that visit.

The annoying thing is that we will have to deal with an alert on the console for the whole month of August...

It is interesting that a scheduled apt is now a month out in Palo Alto.

What is the meaning of this?

peili.jpg
peili3.jpg

It is soft fabric glued between mirror and its mounting. What is its purpose? I had to cut some of it off.

What is the meaning of this?

It is soft fabric glued between mirror and its mounting. What is its purpose? I had to cut some of it off.
I just checked my car and it's felt on the bottom there, so not like something accidentally left there from the factory. Judging from Wikipedia, it would appear in this case that it reduces noise from vibrations or rubbing. I would suggest having service fix it when convenient or if it starts bothering you.

I was searching about a shuddering at very low speed on google and found that there were a couple of users experiencing this on the tesla motors forums. My 70D is experiencing this and it feels like the motors don't know whether to regen or freely coast. I noticed it at around 5 mph coming to a stop and on a slight decline. Thoughts?
I notice this in my less-than-a-month old 70D. However, I had a P85+ loaner when they fixed a paint blob, and noticed a similar shudder with that, just not as noticeable because it was only coming from the back end.

I notice this in my less-than-a-month old 70D. However, I had a P85+ loaner when they fixed a paint blob, and noticed a similar shudder with that, just not as noticeable because it was only coming from the back end.

Yah mine still does it when I let it coast all the way down to 0 mph. Right around 4 mph it shudders hard. It isn't every time but enough times to notice.

Hi,
I also have the shudder on my 70D. It's about 2 months old. It only started after the last software update (about 1 week ago). As with the previous posts, the shudder is pretty noticeable when i coast. It doesn't do it all the time but about 90% of the time. I'm thinking it will go away at the next update.
I used to have a high pitched whine coming from the front left of the car after that previous update. Went away with the last update... They should test these a bit more.
Still love the car and think it is the best, by far, car I have owned. Now, if they could make them smaller, I'd be in heaven.
Thanks.
Bertrand

Front wheels inner brake pads jammed - on both wheels!

I had a indication that I had a brake problem when I noticed some brake dust buildup in my front wheels.
That dust buildup was not much on the rear wheels. So, I jacked the car, and tried to spin my front wheel by hand.
I got some resistance.
Here are the picture of one my wheel taken off and shows before and after cleaning it.
Tesla_wheel_1.jpg
Tesla_wheel_2.jpg

So I unbolted the caliper, and tried to move the pads - one pad (the outer) was slightly jammed, the other (the inner one)
was solidly jammed by galvanic corrosion.
The pad is made of a steel plate that rubs with the aluminum caliper body. In the presence of salt water, this spells for galvanic corrosion.
The inner side pads of both front calipers were highly jammed on my 2013 S.

I had to use a hammer and strike repeateadly with a wood block the inner pad to succeed to remove it.
Following pictures shows the whitish aluminum oxide on the caliper mixed with rust from the pad.
Tesla_pad_1.jpg
Tesla_pad_2.jpg

I did pass the pads on a bench grinder with a wire wheel to remove the rust on the sides of the pads.
Then I applied some paint (to prevent more rusting) and let dry while I cleaned the calipers.

The brakes now work and brake much better. No parts were replaced. Just a cleanup and reinstall.
All details were published by me on Lentretien préventif des freins avant de Tesla S | Roulez Electrique

Hope this helps,

Francois
2013 S P85 21in, Pano roof, tech package, Green metallic paint with tan leather interior with alcantara.

Front wheels inner brake pads jammed - on both wheels!

I had a indication that I had a brake problem when I noticed some brake dust buildup in my front wheels.
That dust buildup was not much on the rear wheels. So, I jacked the car, and tried to spin my front wheel by hand.
I got some resistance.
Here are the picture of one my wheel taken off and shows before and after cleaning it.
View attachment 92286View attachment 92287

So I unbolted the caliper, and tried to move the pads - one pad (the outer) was slightly jammed, the other (the inner one)
was solidly jammed by galvanic corrosion.
The pad is made of a steel plate that rubs with the aluminum caliper body. In the presence of salt water, this spells for galvanic corrosion.
The inner side pads of both front calipers were highly jammed on my 2013 S.

I had to use a hammer and strike repeateadly with a wood block the inner pad to succeed to remove it.
Following pictures shows the whitish aluminum oxide on the caliper mixed with rust from the pad.
View attachment 92294View attachment 92295

I did pass the pads on a bench grinder with a wire wheel to remove the rust on the sides of the pads.
Then I applied some paint (to prevent more rusting) and let dry while I cleaned the calipers.

The brakes now work and brake much better. No parts were replaced. Just a cleanup and reinstall.
All details were published by me on Lentretien préventif des freins avant de Tesla S | Roulez Electrique

Hope this helps,

Francois
2013 S P85 21in, Pano roof, tech package, Green metallic paint with tan leather interior with alcantara.

maybe not enough caliper grease was used. That is supposed to help with that issue

My January 2013 S60's front passenger door handle gave up the ghost on Friday. E-mailed service and set up an appointment already. I was hoping it wouldn't happen as I liked the original handles, but alas, such is life. In all likelihood they'll switch to the new design that doesn't extend completely--I wonder if they fixed the puddle light issue, guess I'll find out.

I will say, I have been very impressed with this car. Apart from the issue with creaking from the sunroof that was fixed early on, and a proactive replacement of my 12v battery (Service e-mailed me about logs) I have had no major problems with the car.

In fact, the only thing that keeps recurring is the alignment tends to drift right too much, even on level roads, and hey, if that is the only recurring issue I have, I don't mind having an occasional realignment.

Hoping for some guidance/someone to talk me off the ledge here...

We took delivery of our 70D on 7/17 and it worked flawlessly for about the first 6 weeks (including a road trip from Colorado Springs, CO to Park City, UT). Since that time, I've experienced some significant technical issues that I will outline here, but the car has been operable:

1. LTE connectivity - this was the first thing I noticed. Car would come off WiFi at home and then just go to nothing. Seemed odd considering the fact that I had great signal strength for the previous 6 weeks, including some fairly surprising spots while on said road trip. I believe this was related to the software update around he same time that seemed to cause shuddering and LTE issues for some. I also noticed the shuddering, but didn't come up as a red flag for me.

2. Connectivity to iPhone app - I noticed as well that the app would just spin and spin, saying "trying to wake-up the car" and getting nowhere. As I already noticed the connectivity issue, this wasn't much of a surprise, but an annoyance as I was trying to put the car in valet mode after leaving it with a restaurant valet and forgetting to do so prior.

3. Internet radio sporadically working - using Slacker, one song would play and then just spin as if trying to download the next. I pressed the button to advance to the next song and one more would play, and then spinning again. Eventually I would see a error asking me to log into my Slacker account, which of course it already was, but trying to "reconnect" the account would fix it again for one song, and so on.

[Around this point is when I first called the Tech Support hotline. I was driving at the time and they said there was nothing hat they could do until I got to my location, but confirmed it showed Offline for them as well. The rep gave me instructions to perform a soft reboot by pressing the steering wheel scroll wheels and cycling through to the T logo, rinse and repeat, once I got to my destination. Ironically, I was going for window tint where the car would be sitting in a shop for a few hours. Would have been nice to have connectivity with my iPhone app so I could keep an eye on it.]

I attempted the soft reboot twice at the shop, did not seem to fix the issue as I still had no connectivity through the app. However, my Slacker seemed to be working better or at least was playing a song when I exited the car.

4. GPS stopped working a couple days after I first noticed the connectivity issue. Red arrow no longer tracking my location, but instead appeared permanently fixed at my home where it last worked. This was a much more significant issue than I first realized because of all the things tied into GPS. For example, Homelink stopped appearing in my driveway because of course the car didn't know where it was. I attempted another soft reboot while at home and on WiFi, and was able to connect to the car through the app, but GPS did not come back.

5. Car clock 2 hours off (on Eastern while in Mountain) - using the phone app, I was now able to see the car's location was showing somewhere outside of Quebec City, which explained the Eastern time zone and clock issue. The car was at home in Colorado. Another soft reboot and at least the time came back, but GPS was stuck at home.

I called Tech Support again and got a service appt scheduled. No small task as the closest one is an hour away from me and the only appt they could offer me was at 3:30 on a Tuesday, which means leaving work and a lot of time on my part. No evening or weekend appts are available EVER, per the woman at the SC who I talked to. Not very customer friendly in my book and I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

When I pulled in for my appt, the car connected immediately to the SC WiFi and showed the correct location in Denver. When the advisor came out, we drove around the shop and the red arrow followed. Of course it did. Because why wouldn't it work perfectly now at the SC? They pulled the LTE fuse to reset just to be sure, and I was fine all the way and for a day after. But guess what doesn't work anymore? That's right, my GPS. If I reboot, I *may* get one trip out of it. But when I park, location is again frozen when I drive off to come back home. For example, I ran to Whole Foods in Colo Spgs last night, parked and then drove home. The car today is still showing me somewhere in Colorado Springs with just a solid gray screen (not at home, outside of the city). And guess what's also back? My current time is 8:47AM and the car is showing 12:47AM. I'm attaching a photo of the screen for reference.

This weekend was Labor Day and we took a mini road trip to Glenwood Springs. Here again the GPS issue is bigger than just Nav because the car no longer knows where it needs to stop for a charge, causing some significant range anxiety on my part. There were some folks on a test drive stopped at one of the superchargers with us and asked how we liked the car. I found myself for the first time saying, I'm not in love, which is a little bit heartbreaking after spending 100K and being a shareholder.

On another note, I called and escalated this issue again on Friday before the weekend to the SC. It's Wednesday morning and still nothing. Trying to call them goes to voicemail, as I'm finding to be the norm.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced something similar...thanks.

-Brie

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ug, sorry to hear. It does seem that all the problems appear related to connectivity, LTE/3G issues - from the time, maps drawing, internet radio, and app connectivity. Does the Navigation in the instrument cluster work ok when you use navigation, or are you not able to get it to even accept an address? They are independent with the one in IC being Garmin pre-downloaded maps already...

Hopefully Tesla can figure this out for you soon!

roof panel not aligned

Hi guys,
just got a P85D delivered last week. Couple of glitches like random sightings of "parking assist not available" (during driving) and charge port not opening, but both disappeared for now. However there is one that is degrading the sleek car look, see the picture below. The black plastic panel that is seated before the pano roof is not well aligned (on both sides). Would you have any suggestions on how to stick it without using a glue ;)?
tesla pan.jpg

BTW anybody has any info on LTE connectivity in Europe? Hope my car should have the hardware and we are just waiting for the software..

Thanks Ondra

Hoping for some guidance/someone to talk me off the ledge here...

We took delivery of our 70D on 7/17 and it worked flawlessly for about the first 6 weeks (including a road trip from Colorado Springs, CO to Park City, UT). Since that time, I've experienced some significant technical issues that I will outline here, but the car has been operable:

1. LTE connectivity - this was the first thing I noticed. Car would come off WiFi at home and then just go to nothing. Seemed odd considering the fact that I had great signal strength for the previous 6 weeks, including some fairly surprising spots while on said road trip. I believe this was related to the software update around he same time that seemed to cause shuddering and LTE issues for some. I also noticed the shuddering, but didn't come up as a red flag for me.

2. Connectivity to iPhone app - I noticed as well that the app would just spin and spin, saying "trying to wake-up the car" and getting nowhere. As I already noticed the connectivity issue, this wasn't much of a surprise, but an annoyance as I was trying to put the car in valet mode after leaving it with a restaurant valet and forgetting to do so prior.

3. Internet radio sporadically working - using Slacker, one song would play and then just spin as if trying to download the next. I pressed the button to advance to the next song and one more would play, and then spinning again. Eventually I would see a error asking me to log into my Slacker account, which of course it already was, but trying to "reconnect" the account would fix it again for one song, and so on.

[Around this point is when I first called the Tech Support hotline. I was driving at the time and they said there was nothing hat they could do until I got to my location, but confirmed it showed Offline for them as well. The rep gave me instructions to perform a soft reboot by pressing the steering wheel scroll wheels and cycling through to the T logo, rinse and repeat, once I got to my destination. Ironically, I was going for window tint where the car would be sitting in a shop for a few hours. Would have been nice to have connectivity with my iPhone app so I could keep an eye on it.]

I attempted the soft reboot twice at the shop, did not seem to fix the issue as I still had no connectivity through the app. However, my Slacker seemed to be working better or at least was playing a song when I exited the car.

4. GPS stopped working a couple days after I first noticed the connectivity issue. Red arrow no longer tracking my location, but instead appeared permanently fixed at my home where it last worked. This was a much more significant issue than I first realized because of all the things tied into GPS. For example, Homelink stopped appearing in my driveway because of course the car didn't know where it was. I attempted another soft reboot while at home and on WiFi, and was able to connect to the car through the app, but GPS did not come back.

5. Car clock 2 hours off (on Eastern while in Mountain) - using the phone app, I was now able to see the car's location was showing somewhere outside of Quebec City, which explained the Eastern time zone and clock issue. The car was at home in Colorado. Another soft reboot and at least the time came back, but GPS was stuck at home.

I called Tech Support again and got a service appt scheduled. No small task as the closest one is an hour away from me and the only appt they could offer me was at 3:30 on a Tuesday, which means leaving work and a lot of time on my part. No evening or weekend appts are available EVER, per the woman at the SC who I talked to. Not very customer friendly in my book and I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

When I pulled in for my appt, the car connected immediately to the SC WiFi and showed the correct location in Denver. When the advisor came out, we drove around the shop and the red arrow followed. Of course it did. Because why wouldn't it work perfectly now at the SC? They pulled the LTE fuse to reset just to be sure, and I was fine all the way and for a day after. But guess what doesn't work anymore? That's right, my GPS. If I reboot, I *may* get one trip out of it. But when I park, location is again frozen when I drive off to come back home. For example, I ran to Whole Foods in Colo Spgs last night, parked and then drove home. The car today is still showing me somewhere in Colorado Springs with just a solid gray screen (not at home, outside of the city). And guess what's also back? My current time is 8:47AM and the car is showing 12:47AM. I'm attaching a photo of the screen for reference.

This weekend was Labor Day and we took a mini road trip to Glenwood Springs. Here again the GPS issue is bigger than just Nav because the car no longer knows where it needs to stop for a charge, causing some significant range anxiety on my part. There were some folks on a test drive stopped at one of the superchargers with us and asked how we liked the car. I found myself for the first time saying, I'm not in love, which is a little bit heartbreaking after spending 100K and being a shareholder.

On another note, I called and escalated this issue again on Friday before the weekend to the SC. It's Wednesday morning and still nothing. Trying to call them goes to voicemail, as I'm finding to be the norm.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced something similar...thanks.

Try Energy Savings = OFF and Always Connected checked. We have been having issues here in Canada but US seems ok but who knows.

Hi guys,
just got a P85D delivered last week. Couple of glitches like random sightings of "parking assist not available" (during driving) and charge port not opening, but both disappeared for now. However there is one that is degrading the sleek car look, see the picture below. The black plastic panel that is seated before the pano roof is not well aligned (on both sides). Would you have any suggestions on how to stick it without using a glue ;)?

My car delivered in June has this same issue, but only on the driver's side. I also have the passenger rear window making wind noise, and not rolling up properly when at speed. I also had a horrible buzzing noise in the far left air vent as soon as I got on the highway after pickup. This was so bad it's clear it wasn't even QC'd. I fixed this myself as soon as I got home, it was the mounting screw not fully installed by about a turn. I am annoyed that I had to do this on such an expensive car, but I'm waiting on the rest until I can get into a SC. God knows when that will be here in CA, I hear there are months of backlogs.

To restore LTE connectivity, try this:Disconnect everything from the center armrest USB ports.
Apply the brakes throughout the entire procedure.
Press and hold the steering wheel roller buttons until the screen resets.
Press and hold the steering wheel upper buttons until the dashboard resets.
Reset the screens a second time.
Good luck!