Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced a rather odd hiccup yesterday while driving down Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. The song playing on Slacker radio stopped and it looked like it was trying to stream/buffer more of the audio. I tried to press the “next” button and nothing. I tried to select another audio source – nothing. I tried to select another app – nothing. The map screen was then locked up too. The entire screen then went black and a small x appeared in the center. The Tesla logo appeared on the screen for a few seconds and then everything came back up. It would appear that they system running the apps and touchscreen got hung up and rebooted itself. I wasn’t able to take a picture and didn’t get a screen capture sent (traffic was heavy and I needed to pay attention to the road – good thing my wife was there to remind me of this as I fumbled for my phone :wink:). The instrument cluster and operation of the car were unaffected.

No complaints here – just documenting the issue. I am certain this kind of bug will be fixed in the next software update. I love the car!

Yup you crashed the GUI and saw XWindows restart. I've seen it a couple times ... let ownership know and if you know your service manager, let that person know, too. I'm hoping they're automatically notified of crashes and that the logs go to the engineers when that happens but who knows ...

I've had my S for a little over a month now and have driven just over 2500 miles. Of course I love everything about the car, but whenever I've been driving for a while at high speeds, I notice a hum from the back of the car (PEM/Motor) that seems louder than what I believe to be normal. I finally took it in to the service center (Menlo Park) and had the service manager there listen to it. He believes it's a bearing or ruff spot on a shaft somewhere or possibly something in the electronics. in any case, I'm now scheduled to bring it back in in a couple of weeks and will have to leave it there for a few days (they may need to swap out the drive train). While it's there, they will also fix up some fit and finish items and redo a spot of the paint armor in the front where it was slightly botched up. It will be difficult to have to drive a rental even for the few days. I wish they could loan me one of the several Roadsters they have just lying around there.

I've had my S for a little over a month now and have driven just over 2500 miles. Of course I love everything about the car, but whenever I've been driving for a while at high speeds, I notice a hum from the back of the car (PEM/Motor) that seems louder than what I believe to be normal. I finally took it in to the service center (Menlo Park) and had the service manager there listen to it. He believes it's a bearing or ruff spot on a shaft somewhere or possibly something in the electronics. in any case, I'm now scheduled to bring it back in in a couple of weeks and will have to leave it there for a few days (they may need to swap out the drive train). While it's there, they will also fix up some fit and finish items and redo a spot of the paint armor in the front where it was slightly botched up. It will be difficult to have to drive a rental even for the few days. I wish they could loan me one of the several Roadsters they have just lying around there.

I wonder if this is the same thing I'm noticing. Above 65 MPH, I hear a faint, low-pitched noise that's similar to a spinning tire rubbing against something. That sound like the same thing? My service manager knows I have that on the list, but we haven't had time to get out on the highway with it yet.

I wonder if this is the same thing I'm noticing. Above 65 MPH, I hear a faint, low-pitched noise that's similar to a spinning tire rubbing against something. That sound like the same thing? My service manager knows I have that on the list, but we haven't had time to get out on the highway with it yet.

Could be. That's about the way mine sounds. It is low pitch and doesn't vary much in pitch, but does vary in intensity with the amount of power being applied (both positive and negative - it also occurs during regen braking). I don't know if I'll ever know exactly what the cause is however, if the solution is to swap the drive train. I'm certainly OK with not knowing as long as it goes away.

Could be. That's about the way mine sounds. It is low pitch and doesn't vary much in pitch, but does vary in intensity with the amount of power being applied (both positive and negative - it also occurs during regen braking). I don't know if I'll ever know exactly what the cause is however, if the solution is to swap the drive train. I'm certainly OK with not knowing as long as it goes away.

Hrm. Pitch in mine increases with speed. Not so much difference depending on the pressure on the drivetrain (accel/decel). I'll of course report back when I know more. The fun with these noises is not knowing what's normal :smile:

Interesting, mine makes a noise reminiscent of a contactor constantly cutting in and out at low speeds. At high speeds I also have a whirling noise but speed has no correlation to this noise. @Cinergi, does the pitch on yours sound something like AM radio on the Roadster?

Could this be the "vibrating connector" noise heard by some at Get Amped events?

No. That one is a high pitch whine that occurs with very high acceleration and just lasts for a second or two. This one is pretty much a continuous hum. The first time I heard it, I thought it was a nearby ICE with a bad muffler.
I too get the same low pitched hum at high speeds. The intensity of the hum is sometimes very loud and sometimes not very noticeable. I think it might have to do with the cooling system and how it is routing to the drive components. If you go into the special diagnostic screens there is a very cool live diagram of how the cooling system is routing throughout the car. It seems to have several modes of bypassing certian components and using one, two or three of the condensers in the front. This might be what it making the hum sound.

Went out to the car a little while ago to make a quick grocery run (needed buttermilk for my Saturday pancakes!), and when I got to the car and opened the door, the lights did not turn on. When I sat in the driver seat, nothing lit up. When I pressed the brake, the screen finally lit up and I heard what sounded like a quick reboot, and the dash had an error message on it that said "Car needs service. Power reduced." My battery had 129 miles of rated charge left, so that wasn't it, and a few minutes later the error went away and I made my trip to the store. On the way I noticed that neither of my two USB sticks were recognized for music anymore.

Upon arriving home, I went to plug the car in and the charger port would not open from the screen or the UMC button. I pressed the keyfob buttons several times to try opening it and after a few minutes of standing in the rain, it finally worked.
Definitely some bugs for me tonight.

Uh oh .... pattern starting ... Brian ... had that exact message as well as the Power Reduced.

Not the message I was expecting to pop on the screen...

EDIT: FWIW ... I decided to jump in put the car in drive just to see what would happen ....

All the warnings disappeared.

EDIT 2: My service guy just called me back and said this is a known issue that is supposed to be corrected in the upcoming firmware release and can be ignored.

Last edited: