Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our used 2013 S85 came with a set of a Goodyear RS-A2 and have put just over 30K miles on them (probably have about 10-15K miles left on them). They were great when they were new; quiet ride, decent response, and dampened bumps on the road (as any new tire should). At this point, they are getting noiser, still provide plenty of grip, but the ride comfort has greatly diminished. They are a very inexpensive bang-for-the-buck tire ($140), but I've always had more satisfaction with Michelin. The latter seems to hold up better through the long haul, and by that I mean the qualities of the tire extend well into the out-years of the tire's life.

I should also note that Wh/mi average is 310 and we are very light on the brakes.

I am quite un-happy with the poor Goodyear tires that came on my Model S, purchased-on 18 March 2018.
I had to replace two with less than 40 thousand miles, and now need to replace two more with 43 thousand on the car. I’m not a hot rod. The wife and I are retired, and make lots of trips. I love the car. My Lincoln SUV
got 80,000 and more on Michelin’s. I think the Goodyear’s are noisy also. Also, I keep tire pressure up, and rotate as needed. What are other S drivers experience with the OEM supplied tires? Other comments?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
I have had three sets of these tires and am totally happy. All from Costco;all sets about the same price (your $796 is not bad). The first set was replaced at 55000 miles. The second at about 57000 miles. The 4 I have on there now look almost new at 15+ miles.

Great, quiet ride and great traction. I don't have a lead foot but do enjoy the exhilaration of the Tesla away from the traffic lights.

At minimum it severely concentrates wear on RWD cars. My RWD S will eat rear tires twice as fast as fronts as they do 100% of the acceleration and 90% of the braking. The difference is far less pronounced on AWD cars.

Back to OP, 40k on the OEM Goodyears is nothing short of a miracle, and twice as long as most report. That said, I agree they’re mediocre tires. I greatly prefer the Michelin MXM4, but you’re not gonna get 80k out of those either.

Model S is a big girl and you can bet she’s gonna wear down the heel on her pumps faster than most.
How have you found the ride & quietness of the MXM4s compared to the OEM Goodyears?

I am quite un-happy with the poor Goodyear tires that came on my Model S, purchased-on 18 March 2018.
I had to replace two with less than 40 thousand miles, and now need to replace two more with 43 thousand on the car. I’m not a hot rod. The wife and I are retired, and make lots of trips. I love the car. My Lincoln SUV
got 80,000 and more on Michelin’s. I think the Goodyear’s are noisy also. Also, I keep tire pressure up, and rotate as needed. What are other S drivers experience with the OEM supplied tires? Other comments?
MS75D 12-17 only got 22k on those. Contacted Goodyear CS and they offered 50% off new set. Still cost 750 when all said and done. Otherwise I have enjoyed the tires a lot more than expected.

Contacted Goodyear CS and they offered 50% off new set. Still cost 750 when all said and done.
That's a make-believe "50% discount" if ever I've seen one. I went back through my invoices, I bought a set from Discount Tire March of last year for $660 out the door AND they had a $60 mail in rebate.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.15.29 AM.png

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
I have had three sets of these tires and am totally happy. All from Costco;all sets about the same price (your $796 is not bad). The first set was replaced at 55000 miles. The second at about 57000 miles. The 4 I have on there now look almost new at 15+ miles.

Great, quiet ride and great traction. I don't have a lead foot but do enjoy the exhilaration of the Tesla away from the traffic lights.

What average wh/mile do you get with these tires?? I averaged 303 wh/mile on the OEM Goodyears, but that went up to 329 wh/mile when I replaced with Bridgestone Quiet Tracks. I’m assuming a performance tire like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ would have a high wh/mile

Thanks!

If life is the primary concern, keeping in mind obtaining a decent brand name all season tire, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 or the Continental Purecontact are the longest treadwear rating at 700 on Tirerack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9CP7ASP2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R9PCLSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The Michelin Premier are rated at 640. I might try a set next time.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A/S&partnum=445VR9PREAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

While the common Michelin MXM4's, what were once OEM on the model S (and what I have on my car) are rated at 500

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR9MXM4P&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

But when you see a chart like this, doesn't it make you want to try to find these Vredestein's?

View attachment 499233

I am very curious about the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and will try those next after my Pirelli Cinturato P7+.

I Pirelli Cinturato P7+ is much-loved in the Lexus LS forums. I had the P7+ on both an LS 430 and LS 460 and they lasted 35K-40K miles, despite the 70K-mile warranty, and I'm no speed demon. The Lexus LS 460 weighs almost as much as the Model S, at 4600 lbs (RWD).

I drive our Model S pretty conservatively (overall 269 Wh/m) and at the first 5000-mile tire rotation, the Pirelli Cinturato P7+ was already down 2/32nd of tread! The P7+ is an extremely comfortable and quiet tire, but better suited to the less powerful Lexus LS. On the Model S, the P7+ loses grip easily and that is why I want to try the Vredestein Quatrac Pro next since it seems to build on all the great Grand Touring qualities of the P7+. I don't expect to get 40K-miles out of the P7+ on our Raven S.

What average wh/mile do you get with these tires?? I averaged 303 wh/mile on the OEM Goodyears, but that went up to 329 wh/mile when I replaced with Bridgestone Quiet Tracks. I’m assuming a performance tire like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ would have a high wh/mile

Thanks!

Interesting. Many factors of course; hard to compare, but here is some more data regarding rolling resistance.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 4.53.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 5.13.34 PM.png

Thanks!

These are the only tires I have ever run and I have 126,000 miles. Wh/m 296.

That’s fascinating, and twice as far as I’ve gotten out of 2 sets of the same tire on the same RWD car with the same rotation practice.

Guess the roads you drive and their conditions really a major factor.

Been to east coast twice, Oklahoma three times, Texas twice, California twice, Las Vegas three times and I 40 is very rough. I think it is more driving style as my wife did not like fast corners though I do like mountain roads. I also have gotten fairly good tire mileage for the last 40 years.

Haha, I will never forget the tech's reply at SC, "you guys are all like that" when I complained.
I wear my tires in about 10k miles. When the digital gauge shows minimum thread depth on
even one tire I get new all around.

I drive hard so I want soft grippy seasonal high performance tires and I pay the price, much
safer than repairs and ortho/neuro-surgery.