Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're thinking of trading in our 2014 Model S for a new Model 3. What's the best way to go about this? Contact my nearest Service Center (almost a hundred miles away) for a Model 3 test drive? Would they be able to give me a trade in value on my Model S at the same time?

We're thinking of trading in our 2014 Model S for a new Model 3. What's the best way to go about this? Contact my nearest Service Center (almost a hundred miles away) for a Model 3 test drive? Would they be able to give me a trade in value on my Model S at the same time?

Keep in mind they aren’t going to give you anywhere near what your model S is “worth” in trade.

You’re better off selling privately.

If PNW means WA for you, keep in mind the there are tax benefits of doing trade-in vs. (selling privately + buying).

I would call ahead regarding trade-in value. IIRC, they did that for ours without seeing the car in person; they have all the servicing information, VIN, and (I think with approval...) mileage info.

We traded in an S P100D for 3P back in October @ Bellevue, WA location. We ended up getting money back out of the deal. :)

May 1st we went for a test drive and came back very impressed. They emailed us back the trade in value. The price was acceptable to us but decided to keep our 2013 S85 as our dog would not have its space in a hatch anymore. But the 3 really impressed us (we always had smaller cars in the past. )

Reactions: BridgeMojo
I got a poor quote from Tesla for our 14 S so decided to hang onto it and added the 3 to our fleet. Still love the S as our highway cruiser and my daily driver. The dog fits easier in the S as well.

It is so nice our family is off gasoline now.

Reactions: willw64