Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Turbine Wheels Annoyance...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it bother anyone else that the turbine wheels are not side specific?

This has been a car pet-peeve of mine for decades. Some manufacturers make directional wheels opposite for each side (the correct way), some are too "cheap". I wouldn't normally consider Tesla "cheap", but this lack of detail certainly reeks of it.

As a sampling rate, I had a 1984 Corvette with directional wheels... correct on both sides (kudos GM). I had 1988 MR2 supercharged with directional wheels... backwards on one side (jeers Toyota). I had a 1986 and 1988 Mazda RX7 Turbo II both with directional wheels... correct on both sides (kudos Mazda). Aside from the aesthetic function, one would assume (especially with the Tesla turbines) that they provide some level of airflow (to aid in cooling) and being backwards would negate this function. So a real lose-lose situation for the vehicle owner.

Doesn't bother me at all.

I just wish they made them a little stronger to resist potholes and road hazards.

And I think the "airflow" issue is marginal, at best. Since much of the braking is regen, the brakes aren't going to heat up nearly as much, if at all. So the cooling really isn't a "thing."