Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ultra Red Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering a new Model S...for all those who received the Ultra Red...can you confirm that they are all equipped with Hardware 4? I'm having a tough time figuring out of all newly produced Model S / X have hardware 4...or if the few that were publicized a month or so ago were one-offs.

Considering a new Model S...for all those who received the Ultra Red...can you confirm that they are all equipped with Hardware 4? I'm having a tough time figuring out of all newly produced Model S / X have hardware 4...or if the few that were publicized a month or so ago were one-offs.
All cars built in mid March or later have the new upgraded (red tinted) cameras which we are told mean HW4.

Reactions: Macbest
All cars built in mid March or later have the new upgraded (red tinted) cameras which we are told mean HW4.
Thanks, I know I just can't wait in perpetuity for "the next upgrade" and will have to pull the trigger at some point, but I tend to "buy and drive" my cars for 10ish years, so knowing that it has the hardware (even if proper software support is not yet available) is important to me. I may still wait until later this year when hopefully the questions around the "phoenix radar" are a known quantity one way or the other.

Thanks, I know I just can't wait in perpetuity for "the next upgrade" and will have to pull the trigger at some point, but I tend to "buy and drive" my cars for 10ish years, so knowing that it has the hardware (even if proper software support is not yet available) is important to me. I may still wait until later this year when hopefully the questions around the "phoenix radar" are a known quantity one way or the other.

with that type of mentality not sure a Tesla is for you. They change alot of things mid-cycle without warning. HW5 will come out and then you'll start all over

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
with that type of mentality not sure a Tesla is for you. They change alot of things mid-cycle without warning. HW5 will come out and then you'll start all over
Trust me, I know all about Tesla's approach to manufacturing / selling. ;)

There is a difference between a piece of hardware that is essentially rolling out now (and I just want to make sure I get it)...and some other known / unknown features that will always be "coming in the future." I am interested in utilizing FSD (beta or otherwise). If I'm going to own this car for 10 years, I want it to have HW4...and a better chance of it supporting FSD if and when it is officially rolled out as a non-beta feature.

Reactions: Propofoln
Picked up my car yesterday and I really love the color. Unfortunately mine has a liftgate panel alignment issue and per SC Tech, it will need to be taken to a body shop since they have to break (?) the glass to adjust it. I currently have it at the PPF shop to get the front end PPF and window tinted but did tell the shop not to touch the liftgate area in case Tesla refuses to fix it since I got something done to the car.

To those who has had this issue (sorry I tried looking through the pages but had a hard time finding), is it worth taking it to a body shop and have them rework the whole thing? I'm just scared it will come out worse than when it came in. Thanks!

Some thoughts:
  • This is my first time driving a Plaid and WOW. I did not expect how insane that feeling is... I wasn't even in dragstrip mode and it was bananas, lol.
  • Yoke sucks.. regret getting it.
  • The horn isn't as bad as I thought it would be.. I did the palm press to cover all the buttons and it actually works really well.
  • Signal buttons are kind of easy to get used to
  • Love the new glass roof
  • I'm not a fan of the perforated look on the seats. I prefer the smooth one from my 2018 100D.
There are stories out there of unhappy endings with body shop realignments of the liftgate. I, personally, would not do that again. Here's some advice on doing it yourself.

Reactions: s1rk
My front license plate holder has what appears to be three screws holding the frame. Did yours have screws holding it on? I would be thrilled if I could take this front plate holder off.
In addition to the goo-gone method, some of us have used shoe laces with great success. I broke down & bought the special torx socket to remove the plate holder from the block, but I understand some have used vice grips or pliers with success.

I performed paint correction and applied ceramic coating on my Ultra Red MSP yesterday, and the paint was virtually perfect. I found two spots where there was some surface contaminate that came off easily with polish, and I found only one real paint flaw; there is a tiny spot in my hood that is higher than the paint around it. It can only be seen if I am looking for it in bright sunlight. It is too small for me mess with. After paint correction and ceramic coating, ultra red looks significantly better. This is my first time using a ceramic coating (Adam’s 10h Graphene Ceramic Coating) and I was amazed at how simple it was to do, and how nice it looked when I was done.

Next up is treating all of the weather seals… mine are as dry as a bone.

Joe

There are stories out there of unhappy endings with body shop realignments of the liftgate. I, personally, would not do that again. Here's some advice on doing it yourself.

My car still on engineer hold. I don’t know specifically why. The Rep makes it sound like it’s simply a check-off process that’s done for all cars. He said there is no structural issues with the car. I am not feeling good about taking delivery, whenever that happens . Additionally, because we moved the date a couple times I may have to pickup the car after work at night, which will limit my ability to assess for issues. I am going out of town every weekend this month. We have Beyonce tickets in Paris. I may have to just past on this vehicle and wait for another delivery.
Build date 4/16/23

Has anyone ever heard of an engineer hold and what that entails?

Just to update:

I got my car back from the SC and they did somewhat of an adjustment.. it's not perfect but I think it is better than what it was originally. All in all, the adjustment took about 4-5 hours, but I'm sure not all of that was spent on the car. Luckily, it doesn't look like anything else is damaged in the process.

Picked up my MSP UR today.
Door alignments are off.
More frustratingly, there is about a 2x1 inch front passenger door paint imperfection vs dent. Hard to tell, just reflects light differently. Not a palpable defect.
I was going to get the car ppf’d but this gives me pause to spend 6-8k to protect a bad paint job….

Overall happy but that definitely threw a wrench in my day.

Last edited: