Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S veers to the right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the car has been veering to the right I took it to discount tire they did a full tire alignment and balance. After I called Tesla informing them that it didn't fix anything i just brought the car in a few weeks ago and a service advisor in which he test drove the car which and informed me that the car needed to be " re-balanced " I finally made an appointment today they didn't fix anything because on our way home it does the exact samething!

We drove back to the dealership and a service advisor sat in the car with me and my wife while I drove it showing him that the car veers to the right within 2 seconds. He informs me that it is normal!!

But he will realign the tires. So I'll spend the entire day without a loaner.

Uh... do you mean if you steer straight, it doesn’t? Like if you take your hands off the wheel, it pulls to the right? That’s the classic definition in the ‘old days’ of veering.

Not sure why any service people would say ‘it’s supposed’ to do that. What exact model do you have? (Be advised you can’t create a signature until you have about 10 or 12 posts, so we can get that out of the way. :D. )

Any further information on the road you were traveling on would be helpful to the conversation also (i.e. 2-lane country road, 8-lane freeway, which lane you were in, etc.).

Only reason I could see anyone saying that this is normal is if it is occurring due to the arch of the road (i.e. 2-lane roads with ditches, as opposed to storm sewers).

Switch tires/wheels right to left to see if the problem changes. Moving wheels front to rear is also a test for tire abnormalities. In another vehicle I chased a similar tracking issue with vehicle adjustments until it was discovered to be a tire problem. Placing the offending tire on the rear was the solution.

You might also check for a warm wheel rim after a run on the highway to ensure that one brake caliper isn't dragging.

Some thoughts for your consideration.

Switch tires/wheels right to left to see if the problem changes. Moving wheels front to rear is also a test for tire abnormalities. In another vehicle I chased a similar tracking issue with vehicle adjustments until it was discovered to be a tire problem. Placing the offending tire on the rear was the solution.

You might also check for a warm wheel rim after a run on the highway to ensure that one brake caliper isn't dragging.

Some thoughts for your consideration.
Hey, that's actually some really great advice!
Keep in mind when doing this, to check whether you have directional tires or staggered tires. Not that you couldn't still do this as a test, it just might introduce some other anomalies.