Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model X for road trips?

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
Having second thoughts on my Model S plaid order and considering a Model X plaid instead. Right now I’m like 60/40 (S/X).

I like to travel cross country IL - CA a couple times per year. Ive done it in my Model Y and it felt decent.
Things I dislike about my Y for long road trips:

- Model Y performance feels a bit too slow now that I’m used to it

For people that have driven both the S and the X extensively and go on 2 person road trips, which do you prefer the most and why?

At 3.6 0-60 for the model y performance, I assume you are only considering Plaid X/S, correct?

On a separate note: You might be the first person I've ever heard call any of the Performance Teslas, "slow". :D

Venom

Leo Hates You Club Scout
May 29, 2019
Chicago, IL
At 3.6 0-60 for the model y performance, I assume you are only considering Plaid X/S, correct?

On a separate note: You might be the first person I've ever heard call any of the Performance Teslas, "slow". :D

Yep, only considering Plaid.

Haha, yeah I found the acceleration pretty exciting at the beginning but after a few weeks it just felt normal sadly. Also the 50 - 90mph acceleration is a little lackluster IMO. I don't think that'll happen with the Plaid S/X since the G force is supposed to be pretty gnarly and I don't think I could get used to that kind of acceleration! :D

Reactions: 2101Guy

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
Road trips, I'd consider the LR X if possible and still speedy enough for ya, longest range wheel option, etc. The X is horribly inefficient on road trips I recall, always getting a large % under estimated range even in good circumstances. Add in some cold, wind, rain, elevation, etc. and I we had some extra SCs had to stop at as well as some good anxiety at times where had to reduce speeds...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC