Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wagon?

Model S "Touring"

• Excellent idea, would take it over Model S!

Votes: 112 50.5%
  • Great idea for a lot of buyers, but would still buy the sedan

Votes: 74 33.3%
  • Not a good idea.

Votes: 36 16.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would die for this car: :scared:
Model S Wagon back green.jpg

You could probably guess at weight differential from BMW or Mercedes specs for comparable sedans/wagons. I'll be the weight delta is small.

A wagon allows a super-enormous sunroof with two panels, front and mid, stacking under/over the rear third. I drove a rental like that in Europe ( Renault perhaps), and it was fabulous.

This styling idea reminds me quite a bit of the SAAB 9-5 wagon, which was introduced back in 1997 and I've always liked this styling and to think it came out over 15 years ago makes me proud to be a Swede :) (Even though SAAB went bancrupt after it was bought up by big bad GM. On the bright side there has been some serious discussion about the resurrection of SAAB as an all EV manufacturer). Here as some pics:
2010-saab-9-5_100183198_l.jpg

saab-9-5_100341582_m.jpg

Question...how much more weight would be added and how will that affect range?

Don't know, but another effect on range will come form the increased aero drag (Cd). The falling roof slope and hatchback of Model S is far better in that respect.

Ingress/egress on the rear facing jump seats is possibly better with the hatchback, too. To hell, I like the wagon variant much better :love:

Wouldn’t you like it even better without the rails tough? Less aerodynamic drag – more range… Instead both the pano and the non-pano versions could come with four hardpoints similar or identical to the current pano Model S… An alternative could perhaps be a version of the design Toyota uses on their current European Avansis wagon, where they incorporate the hardpoints in a kind of ‘integrated’ low slung faux rail (or whatever it’s really called in English…):

avensis.jpg

Audi also uses something similar, as do Volvo on their V60 and XC60.

And as has been stated elsewhere, a factory mounted hitch-option would IMHO no doubt be a good idea for at least the Scandinavian market.

Hope I’m not in violation of any copyright laws by posting this image (a slightly cropped version of a picture) I found on their Swedish website? [Imagine slightly worried smiley here]

If it was awd, I'd be first on the list. Or just make the X signature with falcon wings, and the production like this.
+1
I'd go for an X Production with normal (or coach) rear doors. It should have more rear headroom than the proposed wagon, so it would allow more upright seating position which is good for long trips.
Reserve the Falcon Wing doors for Signature and as an option.

There are some pockets of the US that are into wagons too, there was some top selling cars by state list not to long ago on msn autos or something. the Subaru Outback was #1 in Washington & Vermont I think. (most states its sedan's like the camry, a bunch have pick up trucks, and then a few with the outback). I would be all over one (esp with AWD) way before the model X.