Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Water in Door wells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Not only that, I have a problem with water seeping in to the doors under the window seals.

After a rain, and when the windows dry off, If I roll them down and back up they become soaking wet.

After spending a whole afternoon rebuilding one of our Model S door handles this week because a pathetically underspecced wire broke off a small sensor switch, I verified what the YouTube video said: that the poorly glued on inner lock mechanism seal always falls off, so water (or whatever else) that passes through the significant gaps around the handles easily enterS and contaminates the door cavity. Big design flaw.

I’m a huge fan of Tesla and their mission but sometimes it’s hard making excuses for their inexperience and poor quality. Doubly worse I got an ear full from the wife cause our brand new Model 3 threw a bunch of errors (no regen, no AP etc) for no reason for the second time this week and after 55 minutes on hold Tesla service said ‘yup known problem - firmware update coming soon’. At least you don’t have to go to the dealer for the update, unlike every other car so far.

Last edited:
All my door sills get soaked with rain water every time it rains. I towel dry them once back home. It shouldn't be this way. None of the previous cars we have owned had this issue. Also agree with the cold "drafts around the doors at highway speed" comment above.

I get water spots on the runners inside doors. This also happens with my wife’s 2019 Audi Q7 so I think this is quite common. I have no complaint of my 2018 S 100D build quality. Sure would I like the paint to be a bit tougher - yes but other than that it is pretty sound.