Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model S will not charge after software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been advised to start a new thread on this subject. I've had my model S for 6 moths. After EVERY SINGLE update, the car stops taking charge from our Gen 3 wall charger. After one update, I was able to charge at a Supercharger, but as soon as I got home, it would not take charge from the wall unit. I've had the car in service twice. Once they were "unable to reproduce the issue" and the second time they replaced something in the charge port. I've downloaded the most recent firmware update to our gen 3 wall charger with no luck. I have also done a "reboot" on the car and charger multiple times. I've "turned off" the car repeatedly, from 2 minutes up to 24 hours, again with no luck.

Also of note, the car AND mobile app switch to 72 amps after each update, but my wall unit is on a 50 am switch, so I set it to 40 amps for charging. I have tried switching both the car and app to 40, rebooting, and retrying, with no luck.

Before plugging in, the wall charger pulses green, and the MS charge port is white. Once I plug in, both turn dark blue.

This is the 3rd time I've gone at least a week without being able to drive this 90k piece of ...... Can anyone help?

Last edited:
@ArgusIII
just another data point for you. I had very similar charge issues . Wouldn’t charge for long at home unless power was severely reduced. Kept failing after 10 to 20 minutes or so with similar errors like yours. But oddly enough it would charge at a supercharger.
the car had been recently in the shop for something and long story short they had “crimped “ a coolant hose crooked and it wasn’t flowing fluid correctly. Car was simply not able to move coolant and would stop charging to protect itself. the small hose was replaced and voila. All fixed.
we had been investigating the onboard charer as well until the Mech saw the line bent.(at the 3way valve) assy.

just curious didn’t you mention your issue started after work on the front end louvers or something? Could they have messed up the coolant flow in some way?

hope something in here helps you.

Also of note, the car AND mobile app switch to 72 amps after each update,

Assuming we are talking about the Gen 3 Wall Connector, this seems to indicate a communications problem. BTW, if you on a 50A circuit the wall connector should be set to 50A, not 40A.

A couple of things to try to narrow things down:
  1. If you have a mobile connector, does the charging work correctly when you charge via a 120V outlet?
  2. Do you have any issues when charging at a public charger that uses a J1772 connector?
  3. See if you locate another wall connector, maybe someone you know or a destination charger and test it there.

Good luck!

I had a similar issue however I do have 2 wall connectors and another at the office where it charged fine. Contact Teslas wall connector department and they will remote diagnose it. My unit was defective and acted weird by sometimes charging and other times not. They quickly sent me a new one.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Well, they sent me a new wall connector @zoomer0056 and the car charged for two months. Over the last week or so there has been an increasingly longer delay between plugging the wand into the car and getting the green. Tonight, dark blue ring only. Same error - no power. Same blue on the wall connector and the car. Hard reset, flip the switch on the breaker....all of the things. Anyone else have ideas?

Assuming we are talking about the Gen 3 Wall Connector, this seems to indicate a communications problem. BTW, if you on a 50A circuit the wall connector should be set to 50A, not 40A.

A couple of things to try to narrow things down:
  1. If you have a mobile connector, does the charging work correctly when you charge via a 120V outlet?
  2. Do you have any issues when charging at a public charger that uses a J1772 connector?
  3. See if you locate another wall connector, maybe someone you know or a destination charger and test it there.

Good luck!
According to my electrician and Tesla Wall Connector support, the charging amps should be less than your circuit maximum. To answer your questions:
1. Yes, I have a mobile connector. No, does not work.
2. I do not know what a J1772 is. However, the car will not charge at the Supercharger near my house once it gets in this state.
3. I'm not going to try someone else's wall connector in case the car itself is causing an error with the connector. Which would seem likely given that the same thing has happened with two different wall connectors.

This narrows it down to the problem being the car itself.
Not necessarily, this morning I plugged in my wifes Y, no communication, car screen says charging stopped. Never did start to charge, blue light on both the wall connector and the inlet. Tried 3 times, same thing. I plug in my S, same thing. Must be the wall connector, right? Plug in my wife's car to my second wall connector, same thing. Tried the first wall connector again, left it in, opened the car door and it started charging. Never seen this before, Will update.

Not necessarily, this morning I plugged in my wifes Y, no communication, car screen says charging stopped. Never did start to charge, blue light on both the wall connector and the inlet. Tried 3 times, same thing. I plug in my S, same thing. Must be the wall connector, right? Plug in my wife's car to my second wall connector, same thing. Tried the first wall connector again, left it in, opened the car door and it started charging. Never seen this before, Will update.
Getting a little confused here.

If the OP tried a Gen 3 wall connector and it did not work, then tried the Gen 2 mobile connector and that also did not work, then the problem should be the car.

If the mobile connector fails on two different cars, then the mobile connector seems suspect.

Getting a little confused here.

If the OP tried a Gen 3 wall connector and it did not work, then tried the Gen 2 mobile connector and that also did not work, then the problem should be the car.

If the mobile connector fails on two different cars, then the mobile connector seems suspect.
So am I because 2 separate connectors failed as well as both cars. Where is the problem I ask. Sure sounds like both cars are having an issue with the latest updates installed. Will report back after I try my third connector at the office.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I am seeing a change when charging my Feb 2022 MSLR with 2022.40.1 with my Gen 3 wall connector. Always worked the same at home. Plug in, get white on car then get green on car and connector then charging starts. Now at plug in the screen says charging stopped. Car and charger are blue. Scheduled charging is disabled. I was confused and replugged. After a couple replugs it worked. This happened a few days later with another home charging session. On a third home charging session it did same with the "stopped charging" and blue colors. I'm not insane so I did something different. I let it be without repluging. After a few moments of taunting me it gave the green thumbs up and started charging. This is the new way. It's gotta be some software change. Annoying constant software changes moving my cheese 🧀 whenever they feel like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drehrlenmeyer