Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Buyers Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sprinkled throughout several threads there seems to be "nuggets" of valuable innformation pertinent to new car shoppers. When is the best time to buy, what exactly are inventory cars, etc. Maybe one thread for all of these great ideas is helpful?

Model 3 is excluded from here because I think that is a completely different animal.

If you have Superchargers sufficiently available on your typical routes and a Service Center for maintenance, just go ahead and order, why wait? You can upgrade at any time in the future. I'm considering getting a CTS-V while waiting for Superchargers and Service centers to appear near our neighborhood... getting very impatient :mad:

@Tiger I was weighing the same choice: CTS-V ('17 or '18) vs MS. The CTS-V is an amazing machine and I have huge respect for it. It might be right for your needs. But if you're looking at these as "all-arounders" I'm in the Tesla camp as of this Monday. Why? Because Monday I did a back to back test drive of each. While the CTS-V is exciting and powerful, it still feels very old school next to the Model S. Personally - like many other Teslaphites on this forum - prefer that futuristic whir, the instant torque, the pure simplicity of the cabin. One thing that still drives me nuts: The Caddy has a power sunshade to close the "ultraview" sunroof when you don't feel like being exposed. That is my biggest gripe with the Tesla. But again, it was an easy decision once I test drove both. I'm placing my order soon, to take delivery in Q4 when my current Lexus lease ends.

• Love
Reactions: Quick2Judge
@DIL I know Tesla would be better for me at the moment :(, but Tesla would unfortunately leave me stranded/stalled unless there is service & charging. I hope some of those new smaller superchargers will be sprinkled one in each country before they go filling up china. My make-or-break day trip is 650 km one way from Estonia to Latvia. One SuC stall area in each country would work perfectly.

Also considering some of those new electrically assisted turbo's like A8, but really, SuC + SC would put all that to rest ;)

Last edited:
Two web pages I found exceptionally helpful while shopping:

www.teslainventory.com
www.ev-cpo.com

Great lists of "most" inventory cars with discounts. I set up auto emails to let me know whenever a car I wanted reached the price I wanted.

FYI inventory cars may be brand new never driven all the way to loaners with thousands of miles. Inventory cars are generally eligible for tax rebates. Tesla.com b lists of very small portion of the actual cars available.

@DIL I know Tesla would be better for me at the moment :(, but Tesla would unfortunately leave me stranded/stalled unless there is service & charging. I hope some of those new smaller superchargers will be sprinkled one in each country before they go filling up china. My make-or-break day trip is 650 km one way from Estonia to Latvia. One SuC stall area in each country would work perfectly.

Also considering some of those new electrically assisted turbo's like A8, but really, SuC + SC would put all that to rest ;)
You’ve seen the planned superchargers in Latvia and Estonia right?

For custom build buyers Tesla "unofficially" releases significant upgrades on the first day of each quarter for the past several years.
Jan 1, Apr1, Jul 1, Oct 1

This means if you are near one of those dates you should strongly consider waiting until the date to order to gaurentee you get the upgrades.

Tesla has occasionally lowered prices about 6-3 weeks before the end of the quarter on new builds.

Tesla regularly reduces prices on inventory cars the last month of the quarter. They may also waive the transfer fee on a inventory car if you order during that time.