Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X CCS Adaptor - Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a 2017 MS and a 2019MX. The later is a late pre raven and apparently says I just need the adaptor. Equally the price has apparently just dropped on the conversion for our MS.

I cannot for the life of me find any information on how to just buy the adaptor for the MX? Any ideas and do you know at what cost?

Thanks

Hi

I have a 2017 MS and a 2019MX. The later is a late pre raven and apparently says I just need the adaptor. Equally the price has apparently just dropped on the conversion for our MS.

I cannot for the life of me find any information on how to just buy the adaptor for the MX? Any ideas and do you know at what cost?

Thanks
As I understand it, this is not quite as simple as "just buy the CCS adaptor and plug it in". Some modifications are required to the car's firmware to allow it to accept a CCS-type charge. For this reason it requires Tesla technicians to do the work. Schedule a service appointment on the App - look for "charging" option and then specify "CCS upgrade".

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

Supercharging

I have an early 2019 MS100D. I scheduled the retrofit using the Tesla app, to be done at my home. All done in under an hour by the Tesla Ranger for £280. It works really well and I saw 49kw a couple of days back while using a 50kw Charge Place Scotland DC charger. Supercharging using the CCS adapter was comparable speeds to just using Type 2 directly.

I was supplied with the adapter as part of the retrofit, but I can't see where you can order the adapter on its own, including the Tesla online shop. I would try scheduling a service for an "other" type upgrade and state what you require in the comments section. They should reply via text/email clarifying.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTLSAGo
The parts for this are in short supply. My install has been put back a few weeks to get parts required. Its £280 for the hardware change and adaptor.

Im only buying for opening my charging options if Tesla aren't available en-route

I've been considering upgrading our 2016 MS to CCS for some time, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The clinchers now are that: a) apparently v3 SpCs (and they seem to be coming on now quite regularly, e.g. Amesbury) don't have Type 2s on them; and b) there are going to be a huge number of cars to convert. So I have just rung service and been told to order on the app using Other and CCS upgrade, which I have done, but we shall have to see if and when it actually happens. BTW I was quoted £299 I think, but I may be wrong.

I had mine fitted yesterday to my 2018 MCU-1 car.

I scheduled the upgrade along with a 2-year mini-service a couple of weeks back. Cost was broadly as quoted above. Invoice has 2 parts - "CCS Upgrade" @ £233 + VAT (which must be the the adaptor which comes in a very Apple-esque box), and a second line-item "CCS Retrofit Additional" (listed as a "retrofit kit" plus some grommets), given as "customer pre-pay" thus £0.00).

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm or refute my finding: On the way home I had to try it out, so I used the Liphook Supercharger and attached the CCS Adaptor to one of the Model-3 CCS cables. All fitted fine, charging worked great but... I only got 60kW out of it. As it was chucking it down I didn't want to phaff about doing any comparison of with-CCS vs original v2 Supercharger cable, and I've never used Liphook before, so I can't on this one attempt say anything definitive either way.

So my question is: Has anyone used their CCS Adaptor widget on either a Supercharger or public CSS point and gotten (much) greater than 60kW or is this a limitation of the retrofit kit?

That's interesting - mine is scheduled for this Friday so I'll see what happens.

Mine is scheduled for Friday too - really hope they don't push it back as they have already done this once due to lack of available parts. We are off to Scotland (from London) next weekend so the CCS will be ideal as a backup to use the wonderful Chargeplace Scotland network!

I had mine fitted yesterday to my 2018 MCU-1 car.

I scheduled the upgrade along with a 2-year mini-service a couple of weeks back. Cost was broadly as quoted above. Invoice has 2 parts - "CCS Upgrade" @ £233 + VAT (which must be the the adaptor which comes in a very Apple-esque box), and a second line-item "CCS Retrofit Additional" (listed as a "retrofit kit" plus some grommets), given as "customer pre-pay" thus £0.00).

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm or refute my finding: On the way home I had to try it out, so I used the Liphook Supercharger and attached the CCS Adaptor to one of the Model-3 CCS cables. All fitted fine, charging worked great but... I only got 60kW out of it. As it was chucking it down I didn't want to phaff about doing any comparison of with-CCS vs original v2 Supercharger cable, and I've never used Liphook before, so I can't on this one attempt say anything definitive either way.

So my question is: Has anyone used their CCS Adaptor widget on either a Supercharger or public CSS point and gotten (much) greater than 60kW or is this a limitation of the retrofit kit?

My understanding is the CCS retrofit will not impact charging speed vs the original connection we are used to, it just increases the options available to us re charging. I am assuming you arrived at Liphook with either a cold battery and/or a higher state of charge which both lead to slower speeds. Another limiting factor could be a bad stall or that you were sharing the stall so if you can provide some more information on these that might help.

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm or refute my finding: On the way home I had to try it out, so I used the Liphook Supercharger and attached the CCS Adaptor to one of the Model-3 CCS cables. All fitted fine, charging worked great but... I only got 60kW out of it.

We have charged a few times at Liphook (last time just pre lockdown) and on our Model 3 we get good power, however we have had car discussions there with Model S owners who have been surprised how slow their cars were charging - I assume they were using the regular S/X cable. I got the impression that one of them only supercharged and thought that the slow rate was probably 'batterygate'.

• Informative
Reactions: henleyregatta
Thanks for the responses.

My understanding is the CCS retrofit will not impact charging speed vs the original connection we are used to, it just increases the options available to us re charging. I am assuming you arrived at Liphook with either a cold battery and/or a higher state of charge which both lead to slower speeds.

There's a chance the battery wasn't warm enough, I'd just driven 50 miles but it was pouring rain, and (crucially) I'd not had the SuperCharger listed as navigation destination to pre-warm the battery. SoC was about 55%. I was 4 stalls down from the next closest user when I plugged in. I wasn't expecting a full-rate 100kW to hit the car, but 60 struck me as anomalously low.

We have charged a few times at Liphook (last time just pre lockdown) and on our Model 3 we get good power, however we have had car discussions there with Model S owners who have been surprised how slow their cars were charging - I assume they were using the regular S/X cable. I got the impression that one of them only supercharged and thought that the slow rate was probably 'batterygate'.

After writing above that we'd never been there before I was reminded that my wife charged there once and had a bad stall that time (shuffled along one to fix it). 60kW is well below "batterygate" throttling (no-one seems to be reporting peak powers for limited batteries under about 85kW), and I seriously hope we've not hit that given how little we Supercharge.

This is a single data point under uncontrolled circumstances, nowhere near enough to draw any conclusions. It would be great to hear from someone with a pre-Raven S/X who's had the conversion and seen 100kW+ rates using the widget, but anyone else reading this please don't think I'm suggesting there's a problem.... yet ;)

I've been considering upgrading our 2016 MS to CCS for some time, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The clinchers now are that: a) apparently v3 SpCs (and they seem to be coming on now quite regularly, e.g. Amesbury) don't have Type 2s on them; and b) there are going to be a huge number of cars to convert. So I have just rung service and been told to order on the app using Other and CCS upgrade, which I have done, but we shall have to see if and when it actually happens. BTW I was quoted £299 I think, but I may be wrong.
Was supposed to be done by mobile service today, was pushed out by 3 weeks last week to the beginning of October.