Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bad news, my DS just emailed me back and said he looked up my MX75D that is on route to Toronto, ontario for pickup, and I have the old MCU.

Lots of good debate from the members here on pro's and con's of how tesla manages continuous improvements of vehicles. I completely get that (don't agree)Tesla does not do the industry standard of making new changes on a model year schedule. BUT my issue is, how can they make a change (I believe this MCU is significant, 7 years it hasn't changed, and the current system is very well known sore spot) tand not include cars that in production or pending product VERY shortly. I haven't even received my custom order car, and I have old, and others have new MCU already delivered to them or on it's way. it just doesn't make sure. it's not like Tesla increased the price to account for the new MCU cars.

My opinion, if TESLA wants to continue the "continuous improvement of vehicles whenever they want with no schedule" (i get all their reasons on the sales side), THEN, they should offer anyone who did not receive the new change and pending delivery a free upgrade and any previously delivered cars within "X" number of days a free upgrade. ESPECIALLY if it's a plug and play upgrade. I'm not talking about a complete redesign of exterior and/or interior, that's a different problem.(where having model year changes would absolutely solve)

I'm venting, but geez, my experience with TESLA vs all the Lexus and Acura vehicles I have owned/purchased in the last 20 years is a very different experience.

bad news, my DS just emailed me back and said he looked up my MX75D that is on route to Toronto, ontario for pickup, and I have the old MCU.

Lots of good debate from the members here on pro's and con's of how tesla manages continuous improvements of vehicles. I completely get that (don't agree)Tesla does not do the industry standard of making new changes on a model year schedule. BUT my issue is, how can they make a change (I believe this MCU is significant, 7 years it hasn't changed, and the current system is very well known sore spot) tand not include cars that in production or pending product VERY shortly. I haven't even received my custom order car, and I have old, and others have new MCU already delivered to them or on it's way. it just doesn't make sure. it's not like Tesla increased the price to account for the new MCU cars.

My opinion, if TESLA wants to continue the "continuous improvement of vehicles whenever they want with no schedule" (i get all their reasons on the sales side), THEN, they should offer anyone who did not receive the new change and pending delivery a free upgrade and any previously delivered cars within "X" number of days a free upgrade. ESPECIALLY if it's a plug and play upgrade. I'm not talking about a complete redesign of exterior and/or interior, that's a different problem.(where having model year changes would absolutely solve)

I'm venting, but geez, my experience with TESLA vs all the Lexus and Acura vehicles I have owned/purchased in the last 20 years is a very different experience.
Then why didn’t you wait until the new MCU is in the car before ordering it? Just like how you’d wait until a traditional new model is announced.

We’ve seen all these ventings before. The last time it happened was 10/2016 when AP2 came out. Yes I was one of those lucky/unlucky ones who got an AP1 car 1 week before AP2 announcement, paying full price of the obsolete car.

Anyways, welcome to Tesla! It’s part of the ownership experience we’ve all grown to.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

For what it's worth, I will take delivery in a week or so of a S 75D that went into production on Monday. My Owner Advisor confirmed that I'll get the upgraded screen (and said it's "snappier and faster"), though the Delivery advisor said, "I can't confirm yet, it's still in "paint," but we're already receiving deliveries with the upgrade on cars that were produced before yours."

This is a bummer if you missed the change - especially when it's close. I'll agree with those that said it's tech and that's how it works... there's always something better right around the corner. You get in when you can.

simply because it was not known to me or anyone else that a new MCU was coming. I would have easily held my order off. I would have been happy for them to keep my deposit and hold off production.

my issue is changes that happen during production and 1 vehicle gets the upgrade, the next does not.

I completely get that this has happened before and some customers are ok with it and others are not. I believe Tesla CAN do better when you are talking about such a small number of customers buying very expensive vehicles. we are not talking about honda civics that are made in such large volumes.

to provide an upgrade to current in production and the last few 30-60 days is a few thousand vehicles. 10-20K at most. customer satisfaction would be MUCH higher.

THEN, they should offer anyone who did not receive the new change and pending delivery a free upgrade and any previously delivered cars within "X" number of days a free upgrade.

But what about the guy at day X+1? He/she gets shortchanged on the upgrade. Where does Tesla draw the line?

This is a case of either they Osborne themselves, or they draw a line and keep that line and piss off a few people.

But what about the guy at day X+1? He/she gets shortchanged on the upgrade. Where does Tesla draw the line?

This is a case of either they Osborne themselves, or they draw a line and keep that line and piss off a few people.

I hear what your saying.....but wouldn't you agree that having X days prior and current vehicles in production and not delivered is a FAIR option? I'm not saying it's perfect.....to your point, someone that this is X+1 day will/might be unhappy. But offering something is better than current.

actually, if you think about it, my solution could increase sales and encourage people to buy now and not be scared about "MINOR, plug and play improvements" as those will be retrofitted (if possible). of course I realize if a massive design or hardware change happens, they have a problem that is harder to solve since they don't do the model year change cycle. but let's focus on one problem to discuss at a time.

I'm not saying there is a perfect answer here, we are all TESLA fans on this forum and want to see the brand continue and become more successful. But at the same time, I don't think they have the best policies in change management in place.

I have no problem walking away from my purchase, I don't want to and I think Tesla can simply resolve this for me. How attractive will my M75D be on the inventory lot now? I'm sure it will need to be discounted. Is it not simple for them to order the new MCU and swamp it for me? is this a really unreasonable request?

Like I said, there is no good/perfect solution. The problem also is how Tesla produces cars. Do you go by order date, production start date, production end date, or delivery date to cut people off on 'free' upgrade? Cars with the upgrade could vary by any of those dates compared to cars without. We know cars aren't produced in VIN order, although you'd think there should be a logical VIN cutoff for old/new MCU. But almost every major feature release spans a range of VINs and dates. So there's really no clean way to pick a date plus X number of days/weeks or cars/VINs. There's always going to be someone who can claim they ordered and took delivery of car AFTER some other owner, but they didn't get the upgrade(s) and the other guy did. Or someone's car had a later production date but no upgrade.

1*AGawRM2WkgrpuUZ46zcYjw.jpeg

I hear what your saying.....but wouldn't you agree that having X days prior and current vehicles in production and not delivered is a FAIR option? I'm not saying it's perfect.....to your point, someone that this is X+1 day will/might be unhappy. But offering something is better than current.

actually, if you think about it, my solution could increase sales and encourage people to buy now and not be scared about "MINOR, plug and play improvements" as those will be retrofitted (if possible). of course I realize if a massive design or hardware change happens, they have a problem that is harder to solve since they don't do the model year change cycle. but let's focus on one problem to discuss at a time.

I'm not saying there is a perfect answer here, we are all TESLA fans on this forum and want to see the brand continue and become more successful. But at the same time, I don't think they have the best policies in change management in place.

I have no problem walking away from my purchase, I don't want to and I think Tesla can simply resolve this for me. How attractive will my M75D be on the inventory lot now? I'm sure it will need to be discounted. Is it not simple for them to order the new MCU and swamp it for me? is this a really unreasonable request?

I am 100% positive if they had a 5 day or 30 day policy someone would post your exact same post.

I tend to agree with you. Elon in the past said the X and S were superior cars to the model 3. He never even hinted or suggested that the MCU would be updated to be on par with the 3. The cars were advertised as perfect as is. We were blindly waiting for a refresh that might have been years away. Also, I would have to imagine this plummets your resale/trade in value by at least 4-5k

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I tend to agree with you. Elon in the past said the X and S were superior cars to the model 3. He never even hinted or suggested the MCU might need to be updated to be on par with the 3. We were blindly waiting for a refresh that might have been years away. Also, I would have to imagine this plummets your resale/trade in value by at least 4-5k

Cars depreciate the second you title it and take ownership, I get that.....but in my case, my MX75D will have that additional 4-5K (just quoting your rough number, it sounds right) depreciation before I even receive the keys!

Cars depreciate the second you title it and take ownership, I get that.....but in my case, my MX75D will have that additional 4-5K (just quoting your rough number, it sounds right) depreciation before I even receive the keys!

Yea thats a pretty big hit. IMO if I missed it by days like you ( I missed it by 4 months), I would refuse delivery and take the 2500 loss and just reorder. Like paying 2500 for an upgrade. Or get them to a commit to a retrofit or discount.

Bad News from the other MCU retrofit thread.

"We received notice from head office that there is no plans to replace any touchscreens with the new components that recently entered production. If your vehicle needs any service on the touchscreen (inside warranty or out), your touchscreen will be replaced with the original compatible hardware that it was delivered it."

Bad News from the other MCU retrofit thread.

"We received notice from head office that there is no plans to replace any touchscreens with the new components that recently entered production. If your vehicle needs any service on the touchscreen (inside warranty or out), your touchscreen will be replaced with the original compatible hardware that it was delivered it."

that makes it a simple decision. I will refuse my delivery and take a $2500 loss. and I will take my time to decide if I want to reorder. as someone just mentioned, it's a simple $2500 loss to get the upgrade if I reorder. or $2500 loss to rethink Tesla. not a big deal on a $120K purchase that will depreciate very rapidly anyway.

that makes it a simple decision. I will refuse my delivery and take a $2500 loss. and I will take my time to decide if I want to reorder. as someone just mentioned, it's a simple $2500 loss to get the upgrade if I reorder. or $2500 loss to rethink Tesla. not a big deal on a $120K purchase that will depreciate very rapidly anyway.

I would tell them straight away you don't want it and will take the loss on the deposit. They may give you a nice discount at which point it would be worth it. If not, I'd reorder if I were you. I would pay 3k for this upgrade on my AP 2.5 car. They are great cars but people are really underselling how big of a difference this MCU makes. Functioning browser, maps that loads, pinch and zoom. It is absolutely worth the 2500 cost to upgrade in your case.

Reactions: ABC2D
Confirmed w SC I will have the old MCU. New MCU applies to vehicles built three weeks ago from today and forward, as was previously speculated in this thread.

So, I missed it by a hair. On the bright side, scratch is fixed and i can pick up my car tomorrow. Very likely I will care a lot less about the MCU 24 hrs from now.

Ridiculous that they won't even consider a retrofit for AP 2.5 cars, which I imagine have all the wiring/hardware necessary to do an upgrade.