Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it comes down to whether you think the people who missed the MCU update are now paying top dollar for outdated hardware

Or

People who were lucky enough to get the MCU2 (and all future model S owners) got a happy surprise and consider it a bonus.

Rationalize all you want, but I’m paying top dollar for outdated hardware. No question about it.

Given the choice, I would have gladly delayed production by a week, instead of possibly refusing delivery and waiting an additional 3 f-ing months.

What they should have done is used the last 1-2 weeks of old MCU production for inventory cars to sell on the site. Would have drawn out the timeline and pissed off less people.

Last edited:
Did it slow down when the new MCU was released? No, it was already slow. It was already outdated technology by 7 years.

If they came out with a P120D tomorrow your point would be valid. I would still enjoy my car's performance regardless of the latest and greatest. However the MCU sucked before they came out with the new one and I bought my car DESPITE it being old and terrible. Tesla decided to release a new one with no notice and then to make it worse, also not make it available to current cars.

I hope you are right but I just don't see that being the case. For starters there already is feature differences between the two MCUs. The new MCU already has vector maps. Now maybe Tegra ones are released tomorrow, or maybe it's a month or 6 months. But today they are already unequal. Not to mention the new antennas that came with the new MCU, to enable phone as a key.

I hope to death you are correct but I just don't see it.

Completely agree

Also, I repeating myself... .but it makes no sense that cars ordered from the factory at the same time have to play the tesla game in who knows if you get the updates, luck of the tesla lottery
So it comes down to whether you think the people who missed the MCU update are now paying top dollar for outdated hardware

Or

People who were lucky enough to get the MCU2 (and all future model S owners) got a happy surprise and consider it a bonus.

Rationalize all you want, but I’m paying top dollar for outdated hardware. No question about it.

Given the choice, I would have gladly delayed production by a week, instead of possibly refusing delivery and waiting an additional 3 f-ing months.

What they should have done is used the last 1-2 weeks of old MCU production for inventory cars to sell on the site. Would have drawn out the timeline and pissed off less people.

Damn right. I've been saying similar all this time.

Production change management is handled so poorly from tesla.

Last edited:

Or

Given the choice, I would have gladly delayed production by a week.

Well you thought the car was worth the money before you knew about the update, it doesn't become less worth the money due to a new MCU. The new MCU would make it an even better buy of course but it doesn't make yours a worse buy than it was when you signed. Of course it might feel like you are getting a worse deal but feelings are not logical so listening too much to them is just dumb.

Well you thought the car was worth the money before you knew about the update, it doesn't become less worth the money due to a new MCU. The new MCU would make it an even better buy of course but it doesn't make yours a worse buy than it was when you signed. Of course it might feel like you are getting a worse deal but feelings are not logical so listening too much to them is just dumb.

I think your completely wrong.

Take yourself and 99 other people. If you pay for a brand new car and they show you both cars, new MCU and old mcu, which would you choose? Same price. I'm betting 90%+ will say give me the new MCU.

People have received new MCU cars already, other are awaiting deliver of a new car that has old mcu. If your logic is there is no $$$ difference, tesla should simple take the car with old mcu that buyer does not want, sell to someone else that doesn't care, put into showroom, inventory, or loaner vehicle. And give the "picky" buyer a new MCU car. We are NOT buying a sub $1000 piece of tech ( iPhone), 100k+ is a lot of money.

Take yourself and 99 other people. If you pay for a brand new car and they show you both cars, new MCU and old mcu, which would you choose? Same price. I'm betting 90%+ will say give me the new MCU.

Fwiw, that's exactly my perspective. I'm awaiting delivery of an MX with the old MCU, but I want the new one (slowness and reports of frequent resets). Only thing I have to decide is do I want it $2,500 (should Tesla not transfer my deposit) and up to 3 months of wait worth. I dunno. Luckily, I don't have to decide today, and I do have an upgrade path.

• Love
Reactions: viper2ko
Fwiw, that's exactly my perspective. I'm awaiting delivery of an MX with the old MCU, but I want the new one (slowness and reports of frequent resets). Only thing I have to decide is do I want it $2,500 (should Tesla not transfer my deposit) and up to 3 months of wait worth. I dunno. Luckily, I don't have to decide today, and I do have an upgrade path.

I am in the same situation as you. I am considering refusing delivery and asking for a transfer of deposit. My car is already been 2 months delayed, so they ought to show me some goodwill. I however have to decide within the next couple of days...

Reactions: dlyle65535

I walk into a store, buy 10 bananas for a dollar.

You walk into the same store 1 minute later, as I’m waiting for my bananas.

Store owner says to you, 20 bananas for a dollar, hands me my 10 bananas. You buy your 20 bananas for a dollar.

Did I know the value of my bananas when I bought them? Yes.

Am I upset because I could have gotten more for my money 1 minute later had I known the adjustment was coming? Absolutely.

A line has since formed for the 20 banana deal. I could have waited a minute and gotten the deal, but now I have to go to the end of the line and wait 3 months for the banana deal.

72f33ccfcb43bf404a1d89441b608b49.jpg

People have received new MCU cars already, other are awaiting deliver of a new car that has old mcu. If your logic is there is no $$$ difference, tesla should simple take the car with old mcu that buyer does not want, sell to someone else that doesn't care, put into showroom, inventory, or loaner vehicle. And give the "picky" buyer a new MCU car. We are NOT buying a sub $1000 piece of tech ( iPhone), 100k+ is a lot of money.

I suggest re-reading the post. I never said there wasn't a difference, I stated the difference is that the new one is added value on top of what he already valued the car to. Therefore he shouldn't be less happy about the car he is getting after knowing about the MCU2 existing but if he were to get a MCU2 car he would be even happier.

Store owner says to you, 20 bananas for a dollar, hands me my 10 bananas. You buy your 20 bananas for a dollar.

Am I upset because I could have gotten more for my money 1 minute later had I known the adjustment was coming? Absolutely.

A line has since formed for the 20 banana deal. I could have waited a minute and gotten the deal, but now I have to go to the end of the line and wait 3 months for the banana deal.

Yeah, the feeling you are describing is envy, feeling worse about a purchase due to someone else getting a better deal. Bet you would be annoyed if you noticed your co-worker made twice as much as you do as well? That is one of the least productive feelings in the world and will only block actual progress in life, since it is not productive I choose to not spend my life with that feeling.

If I bought the 10 bananas and you got 20 the minute after for the same price, good for you. If I paid 100k for my Tesla and someone else got exactly the same car for 80k, good for them. My happiness is not influenced by what other people get or has.

Yesterday my OA said: “your car is definitely a March build. It just came out of production.”
From everything I’ve read here I’m assuming that I got the new MCU. (Model S 100D pup VIN 5YJSA1E24JF249XXX)
Any March builds with old MCUs delivered?

Far as I know from what forum members posted after being in contact with Tesla, any March build should have the new MCU. So congratulations!

I suggest re-reading the post. I never said there wasn't a difference, I stated the difference is that the new one is added value on top of what he already valued the car to. Therefore he shouldn't be less happy about the car he is getting after knowing about the MCU2 existing but if he were to get a MCU2 car he would be even happier.

End of day, everyone has a right to an opinion. Especially the buyer who is spending 100k plus on a car, yet to be delivered. How you live your life is your right. What bothers you may not bother me and vice versa.

BUT....I made a deposit on a vehicle, that's all.
Tesla decides to make changes during the build and I don't have it on delivery, I have an option ( right) to walk away (deposit being given back or not is another topic). I did not sign a final order of sale.

End of story, everyone will have different perspectives on this. Tesla needs to handle this, and they have many options to make buyers happy.

So what new tire option has TIM3 introduced? It is a new option code that has been added recently. I configured a Model S 100D 1 month ago with zero extra equipment and this TIM3 code was not present which it is now.... Both configured cars had 19" standard wheels, configured for EU-delivery.

TIMx = Tire Michelin
TIGx = Tire Good Year

?

Five new Tire option codes were all added at the same time in January:

TIMS
TIM6
TIM3
TIG4
TIC6

They are not codes for MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: evster
I think many in here draw conclusions way too early about the Tegra 3 capabilities. We should wait for the new updated navigation with vecor maps. Also it has been a lot of talk about the browser upgrade. The new kernel that we got last summer was the first step and then all the software running on it needs to be rewritten.
You seem to have a mistaken idea of what a kernel upgrade means. It makes no difference to the software running on it, nor does it necessitate, nor provide a benefit for, application software being "rewritten for it" (which is meaningless, because the interface the kernel provides to application software is fairly fixed, being defined by the POSIX standard, and rarely changes in any significant way). The amount of attention that the upgraded kernel gets on the forums is unwarranted, and driven by people just wanting "the latest" in order to have the latest.

The kernel provides a uniform interface to all computer and hardware resources that an application program might require, optimizing management of those resources (e.g. memory, storage, device input/output). A kernel upgrade means that the system will be more secure and efficient (in its allocation and management of resources), will likely support newer devices and file systems (e.g. USB3, xFAT), and may provide minor speed improvements.

What would make a difference to the responsiveness of the user interface (besides a hardware upgrade) would be to use a different GUI library, or change the internal operations of the application to make them more efficient.

substitute bananas for grapes

Ok. so one more thought here... The videos we have seen of the new MCU2 all are with a different software version just like reported in this thread.

Take a look in this video. Here is the new MCU2, but with more detailed VECTOR MAPS, that we don't have in MCU1

What is the software version in this video showing MCU2 ? (latest for mcu1 is 2018.10.4)

How to distinguish vector graphics version (from non-vector ones) in current maps ?

Thank you! Yes that was the web page. I am just curious why the new MCU with software 2018.6.50 is able to load this page, and not the old MCU with the new software 2018.10.4?

Is someone with MCU2 running 2018.10.4? If so, can someone try loading the teslainventory.com page in their browser? If they are able to load it, I suspect they are running a new browser and have vector maps....

Who has ever said that the vector maps and the new browser would work on MCU1? Elon has only said they are working on new maps and new browser... and this will still be true, but the MCU1 will just not have it.

On order - Tesla Model S 100D VIN 2475XX
Apparently went into production 1st week of March.
Taking delivery on the 29th.

Emailed the Tesla Rep (Toronto): he said it will have the old MCU as new MCU's only coming to Canadian cars for orders placed this month, with delivery in June.

Does this make sense?
Do they have 2 production lines for US vs CDN cars?