Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Enhanced Anti-Theft but no Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is to address relay attacks with key fobs, since many owners of S & X don't want to turn off remote entry. It's just a convenience they aren't willing to part with. So Tesla came out with this additional security feature, which will likely sell like hotcakes to S & X owners.

I suppose Model 3 could benefit from it due to the whole glass breaking to check the trunk issue. Key difference here is people are stealing the car with Model S & X, where as for the 3 it's just to check for valuables in the trunk. I think it would be nice if they made it available for Model 3 as an optional feature, I'm sure some people would like to add it depending on where they live.

This is to address relay attacks with key fobs, since many owners of S & X don't want to turn off remote entry. It's just a convenience they aren't willing to part with. So Tesla came out with this additional security feature, which will likely sell like hotcakes to S & X owners.

I suppose Model 3 could benefit from it due to the whole glass breaking to check the trunk issue. Key difference here is people are stealing the car with Model S & X, where as for the 3 it's just to check for valuables in the trunk. I think it would be nice if they made it available for Model 3 as an optional feature, I'm sure some people would like to add it depending on where they live.

I was wondering, and perhaps you can explain, how this will help in a relay attack? The car thinks the key is present, no? Thus the alarm system would be disabled. I see this only being of value for breaking windows and other acts of vandalism. Yes? No?

I was wondering, and perhaps you can explain, how this will help in a relay attack? The car thinks the key is present, no? Thus the alarm system would be disabled. I see this only being of value for breaking windows and other acts of vandalism. Yes? No?

And I think you're right, read it again and looks to be a motion sensor so it wouldn't do much for relay attacks since it'll only activate if the vehicle is supposed to be locked & armed.

I think this may not be available to the Model 3 because it's already built-in. Model 3's have driver-facing camera, they just need to make it work for this purpose.

And I think you're right, read it again and looks to be a motion sensor so it wouldn't do much for relay attacks since it'll only activate if the vehicle is supposed to be locked & armed.

I think this may not be available to the Model 3 because it's already built-in. Model 3's have driver-facing camera, they just need to make it work for this purpose.

That was my thought. Lots you can do with cameras. Look at our wipers!

As for the relay attacks, there was talk a few months back about newer keys becoming available that would prevent this? Not sure how that would work...

https://electrek.co/2018/08/29/tesla-new-security-cryptography-pin-to-drive-feature/

Your first paragraph sounds like an official statement but it is not the case as pointed out by @BHCLUC. Maybe add a "I think" next time. Furthermore, the Model X with newer fob/cryptography is not (or not as likely) susceptible to the relay attack.

This offers much more protection than from a relay attack and. I would absolutely pay for something like this for my model 3. My car is not even two weeks old and I just had all my wheels stolen off the car while parked in a well lit parking lot with multiple surveillance cameras. I'm sure if the model 3 had some form of tilt sensor which activated the alarm and notified the owner via the app, my car would still have wheels.

Attachments

• 76F8E65F-4C43-4416-94B4-1E40477D3C67.jpeg
    76F8E65F-4C43-4416-94B4-1E40477D3C67.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 110
This offers much more protection than from a relay attack and. I would absolutely pay for something like this for my model 3. My car is not even two weeks old and I just had all my wheels stolen off the car while parked in a well lit parking lot with multiple surveillance cameras. I'm sure if the model 3 had some form of tilt sensor which activated the alarm and notified the owner via the app, my car would still have wheels.
The wheels in front of the car are the loaners which had to be sent up so I could even get the car on a flat bed to be inspected.

Alas, still not offered for Model 3 (yet?)
I’m wondering if the Model 3 already has hardware that could be utilized to monitor the interior of the cabin since it has an interior camera behind the mirror. Perhaps also utilize the microphone to breaking of glass. Then a magical software update could create enhanced antitheft