Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 19" rims vs Model S 19" rims.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Anyone know if the Model X 19" snow tire/rim set that Tesla sells uses the same 19" cyclone rims as were once for sale for Model S?

I'm debating selling my S and getting an X, and I currently have a set of 19" slipstreams that I use for winter tires. Would save me some cash if I could reuse them on the X.

I know the Arachnids won't work on the X, but will the 19" Slipstreams? They are square setup, not staggered.

The Model S 19's are different offsets, I believe, and while they will work, I think they might look strange. Maybe someone else can chime in that has tried it?

Maybe I'll pull my Winter 19"s down and try them on for size.

So far the only thing I can discern is that the Slipstreams that I have are:

Model S 19" OEM Slipstreams
  • Size: 19X8.0". (The winter tire set on shop.tesla.com lists them as 19x8.0J. Not sure what the J means)
  • Offset: +40
  • PCD: 5X120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 29lbs
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
Model X OEM 19" Snowtire set look like the older "Cyclone" rims no longer offered for Model S.
  • Size: 19X8.5"
  • Offset: +35
  • PCD: 5X120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Lug Nut Specs: 13/16, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft

The stats for the discontinued Model S Cyclone rims are identical to the Model S Slipstreams that I've listed above.

So the extra 5mm offset causes the tire to be pushing out of the wheel well if I'm reading that correctly? Or is that countered by the fact the S rims are 8" and the X rims are 8.5".

Anyone know if that will interfere with the brake pads? If sizing isn't an issue are the S slipstreams rated to hold the extra weight of the X?

The offset is +40, so they will be sunk by 5mm compared to stock. You need a 5mm spacer to get the stock look. I believe that's all you'd need to make it work properly. I don't see that 5mm would make all that much difference if you don't care about looks, anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
The offset is +40, so they will be sunk by 5mm compared to stock. You need a 5mm spacer to get the stock look. I believe that's all you'd need to make it work properly. I don't see that 5mm would make all that much difference if you don't care about looks, anyway.

Thanks. I guess beyond looking 5mm off center or getting the proper spacer to bringing them to where they should be, would they work then? The only difference I can tell is they are 8" vs 8.5".

The 19x8"+40 Cyclone for the S "may" differ than the 19x8.5"+35 Cyclone for the X in maxload rating.

Tesla does not stamp load ratings on their wheels (except for the Model X Turbine 22", which their Taiwanese contract manufacturer probably does out of internal protocol).

A Model S Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is about 5820-5939lbs (90D-100D).

A Model X Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6591-6788 (75D-100D).

There's almost 1000lbs of Gross Vehicle Weight difference between the lightest S and heaviest X. In our world, that means we would have to manufacture a wheel that can hold ~250lbs more load on a Model X.

Our Model S 19" TST is load rated at 750kg / 1650lbs
Our Model S/X 20" TST is load rated at 900kg / 1980lbs

The big unknown with the Tesla factory wheels is load rating, therefore we would never put wheels from an S on an X.

The 19x8"+40 Cyclone for the S "may" differ than the 19x8.5"+35 Cyclone for the X in maxload rating.

Tesla does not stamp load ratings on their wheels (except for the Model X Turbine 22", which their Taiwanese contract manufacturer probably does out of internal protocol).

A Model S Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is about 5820-5939lbs (90D-100D).

A Model X Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6591-6788 (75D-100D).

There's almost 1000lbs of Gross Vehicle Weight difference between the lightest S and heaviest X. In our world, that means we would have to manufacture a wheel that can hold ~250lbs more load on a Model X.

Our Model S 19" TST is load rated at 750kg / 1650lbs
Our Model S/X 20" TST is load rated at 900kg / 1980lbs

The big unknown with the Tesla factory wheels is load rating, therefore we would never put wheels from an S on an X.
Do you know when you plan on getting your Model X 19" version back in stock? I see it's sold out on your website.

Reactions: hpjtv
Has anyone been using the 19x8 model S setup on their x? Looking to pick up a set for my X
Can't speak about the MS, but I recommend the move to the same four tires. I switched to the MX winter 19x8.5 rims two years ago and get better range and longer wear/life. I rotate them every 5 or 6K and I also keep a 5th spare in the back of my five seater which has saved me on road trips.

Can't speak about the MS, but I recommend the move to the same four tires. I switched to the MX winter 19x8.5 rims two years ago and get better range and longer wear/life. I rotate them every 5 or 6K and I also keep a 5th spare in the back of my five seater which has saved me on road trips.
Hello, I just bought a set of the 19x8.5 MX cyclone wheels and I'm looking for tires but I'm having a hard time finding tires that meet several criteria: 1) made for EVs, 2) Meets required load index, and most importantly 3) that it fits! There's only about .50" to the upper control arm so I'm assuming anything nearing 30" or over in diameter is out of the question. The two tires I really want to try out are the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 EV or iON EVO AS SUV.

255/55R19 105V -- Ventus EVO3 EV
235/55R19 105V -- iON AS SUV (too narrow?)

Ideally this one would be great but most likely doesn't fit.
255/60R19 113V -- iON AS SUV

Hello, I just bought a set of the 19x8.5 MX cyclone wheels and I'm looking for tires but I'm having a hard time finding tires that meet several criteria: 1) made for EVs, 2) Meets required load index, and most importantly 3) that it fits! There's only about .50" to the upper control arm so I'm assuming anything nearing 30" or over in diameter is out of the question. The two tires I really want to try out are the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 EV or iON EVO AS SUV.

255/55R19 105V -- Ventus EVO3 EV
235/55R19 105V -- iON AS SUV (too narrow?)

Ideally this one would be great but most likely doesn't fit.
255/60R19 113V -- iON AS SUV
I'm using CONTINENTAL CROSS CONTACT LX SPORT 255 /55 R19

I wanted to go with 50, but discount tire said I shouldn't due to the weight since I wanted to avoid wider 265 tires (range).

The offset difference will result in some tire rubbing on the control arm at extreme turning lock... BUT that's the only issue.

I can understand some vendors being hesitant to claim anything they don't have data for, that's perfectly reasonable. BUT think about this: The load on a wheel is NOT just the car above it! It is also the load from the road, and the orders-of-magnitude-higher-load when you hit the edge of a pothole at speed, now you have all that weight applied on a tiny amount of real estate, and the shock load is easily 4x the weight of the normal load.

To wit: I am CURRENTLY operating my X with the factory wheels from my S. (I believe cyclone, the ones that had those cheap plastic covers). The tires are 235/45/19 Michelin Crossclimate2, and the performance has been great. Two days ago in Wyoming, I caught a DEEP pothole at 75mph that was at least 2 inches deep and probably around a foot across. SHARP edge. There was no time to avoid it, I slammed it at speed. There was (surprisingly) no damage. That instantaneous load on the wheel was way more than the debate about a couple hundred pounds of vehicle weight!

The better setup will be with taller tires, I plan to get probably 235/60 or 235/55 for another set of 19" rims, the 5mm offset hasn't bothered me and I can easily just throw a set of rings behind them, way cheaper to do that versus the cost of a complete set of rims for that little difference. If people think the X wheels are cast differently than the S wheels, other than the offset.... I've got a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: MXing