Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 20-inch square wheel setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tsportline rims are 21 or 22 lbs in the 19" size, and the tires then are 30 lbs, which should equate to at least a 10 pound reduction per tire. Considering that each pound removed from wheels is equivalent to 8 from the body.... That's 320 effective pounds removed. I'm hoping the reduced ground contact also cuts some of the power usage as well.

I don't know about taller tires changing the towing capacity - unless the tires themselves have a higher load limit, but we are talking about tires that are already over 2000 lbs capacity no matter what, so I don't think there's anything different there - it can carry the load with a significant safety margin in all cases. I'm also not looking to tow barns, I know the range will be hit when towing, that's not the issue. When not towing and the load is outside but reasonably still inside the vehicle's wind envelope.... There's no excuse for the power usage being this high and the range this low.

Going off the beaten path with 255/50R20s. Have a non Plaid 2022 MX. Bought a set of 20 x 9 fronts off ebay to go square. Already run 20 x 9 square for winters.

The summer rear Contis are worn to 3/32 in 10k miles. Fronts are still at 8/32. Am going with 50 series as the speedo reads 2 mph high at 60, so a larger tire will bring me 1.2 mph correction to the speedo. Also 255/50R20 has lots more tire choices at a lower price point than 265s, so must be more popular. Getting Nokian One 109V XL for $166/tire. Run Nokian winters and they are great. The One is a well reviewed USA made tire for the price of cheap Chinese tires.
Always enjoy your experiments, look forward to it

Based on my measurements, there's room for about 1/2" more front tire height on my car without really risking any clearance issues from rocks and such. I wonder if the knuckle has more clearance on the refresh cars with the more inset (40 vs. 35 on the slipstreams) front 20x9 wheel offset? A small spacer ought to take care of any issues there either way. And obviously there's loads of room in back

I am annoyed at how nice my brother in law's new 7-seat X is inside. I desperately want to get away from Tesla and then it keeps sucking me back in again, even though I feel as though I am betraying my religious beliefs if I spend money on something with fewer hand controls.

Based on my measurements, there's room for about 1/2" more front tire height on my car without really risking any clearance issues from rocks and such. I wonder if the knuckle has more clearance on the refresh cars with the more inset (40 vs. 35 on the slipstreams) front 20x9 wheel offset? A small spacer ought to take care of any issues there either way. And obviously there's loads of room in back

I am annoyed at how nice my brother in law's new 7-seat X is inside. I desperately want to get away from Tesla and then it keeps sucking me back in again, even though I feel as though I am betraying my religious beliefs if I spend money on something with fewer hand controls.
sometimes less is more...

Use this to see whether you will have size issues / speedometer issues. It's pretty accurate since the sizes all have to conform to their numbers.

Tsportline rims are 21 or 22 lbs in the 19" size, and the tires then are 30 lbs, which should equate to at least a 10 pound reduction per tire. Considering that each pound removed from wheels is equivalent to 8 from the body.... That's 320 effective pounds removed. I'm hoping the reduced ground contact also cuts some of the power usage as well.

I don't know about taller tires changing the towing capacity - unless the tires themselves have a higher load limit, but we are talking about tires that are already over 2000 lbs capacity no matter what, so I don't think there's anything different there - it can carry the load with a significant safety margin in all cases. I'm also not looking to tow barns, I know the range will be hit when towing, that's not the issue. When not towing and the load is outside but reasonably still inside the vehicle's wind envelope.... There's no excuse for the power usage being this high and the range this low.
lighter wheels are important if doin sprints or lots of intracity driving bc once the wheels start rollin it s weight isn t such a factor anymore...

235 is so narrow it fit properly on ms 19" slipstreams...

I played around with both the pricing on TireRack and the size comparator tool and ended up getting a set of 255/55/R19 Crossclimate2 tires for the new-to-me Tsportline rims. I don't know that the rims are 22 lbs like they claim, but they are definitely significantly lighter than the OEM 20" rims I removed.

With this size being just a bit narrower than the 20" staggered at 265 and 275, it measures up as just a shade (.3 inches) taller and nearly an inch narrower. Interestingly, the size tool says it should be 672 rotations per mile, but Tire Rack says 713. I haven't had them on long enough (or on flat land!) to get an accurate idea for the change in power demand.

Tesla service though seems to believe that my increased power usage is due either to the 12v battery needing replacement (no errors) or the coolant pump (also no errors) so I suspect the virtual service is just fishing and hoping I will buy expensive parts from them to throw at it until they magically solve the problem or I run out of money. Not really feeling it though without any logged errors to point at!

Here's what the new shoes look like though.
2023-05-15 23-19-37.jpeg

255/55/R19 Crossclimate2 tires for the new-to-me Tsportline rims.
Tesla service though seems to believe that my increased power usage
Michelin CrossClimate2 are not known to be super efficient based on my research. I have 265/275s on my 2017 X 100D and am happy with the efficiency but I have my tire pressure 45-49ish as they heat up. ie. pretty high.

My TeslaFI.COM data comparing the OEM Conti to the Mich CC2s

8PLCa4G.jpg

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Michelin CrossClimate2 are not known to be super efficient based on my research. I have 265/275s on my 2017 X 100D and am happy with the efficiency but I have my tire pressure 45-49ish as they heat up. ie. pretty high.

8PLCa4G.jpg

Thanks for that data snapshot. I just pulled my Nokian winters off and was averaging just under 400 Wh/mi. My Nitto all seasons (used outside of winter) are a hair under 390. This of course is an all time avg.

Reactions: scottf200
I played around with both the pricing on TireRack and the size comparator tool and ended up getting a set of 255/55/R19 Crossclimate2 tires for the new-to-me Tsportline rims. I don't know that the rims are 22 lbs like they claim, but they are definitely significantly lighter than the OEM 20" rims I removed.

With this size being just a bit narrower than the 20" staggered at 265 and 275, it measures up as just a shade (.3 inches) taller and nearly an inch narrower. Interestingly, the size tool says it should be 672 rotations per mile, but Tire Rack says 713. I haven't had them on long enough (or on flat land!) to get an accurate idea for the change in power demand.

Tesla service though seems to believe that my increased power usage is due either to the 12v battery needing replacement (no errors) or the coolant pump (also no errors) so I suspect the virtual service is just fishing and hoping I will buy expensive parts from them to throw at it until they magically solve the problem or I run out of money. Not really feeling it though without any logged errors to point at!

View attachment 938168

that looks nice man... tst are very nice wheels...

Reactions: geordi

8PLCa4G.jpg

Thanks for that - that’s good data! While I know the general consensus is that the CC2 aren’t a super-low resistance tire, they are tread wear 640 and the Pilot Sports they replaced were at TW220…. That plus the difference in road contact patch should be enough to overcome the 1.76% average difference you captured on yours.

Right now they are set at 42psi, I had the Pilot Sports at 60 (max 50) and saw virtually no pressure gain from heating. I have already seen these gain some pressure from road heat, so I will be bumping them up to max to start with and see where I go from there. I wanted to get these on this trip before I head home, so that the conditions / load of the vehicle will be as close as possible to the outbound leg for an honest 1500 mile comparison. I should be leaving later today, and driving the I-95 corridor yet again. Coming North, I was seeing between 390 and 420 wh/mi fairly consistently. That’s at 80mph and with a tray of tools on the back, now I will likely have the wheels changing the airflow b/c I will probably have at least 1 box above the spoiler on the back. Not much I can do about that though.

I know the alignment is about as perfect as it can be, so that’s one variable removed. The wheel bearings are all new, and while I haven’t replaced the brake pads yet (that’s next), I don’t believe any of the calipers are dragging.

I will investigate the 12v battery when I get back home as I already have a spare from my sister’s S (I believe that was already replaced once) and I just need to check the dates on that. I’ve lost calibration on the left FWD twice now in as many days, so I’m a bit annoyed with the door and just wondering if that battery IS failing on me and that’s where the power loss is coming from. But everything else in the computer seems to be behaving, and I’m not losing my PlayStation so the inverter isn’t seeming to detect low voltage. Yeah, I have a lot of stuff going on in this car.

Reactions: scottf200

View attachment 938168

those 19" tst are close to 2K but i see them on ebay for less than 800... wonder why...

Well, used rims are subject to unknown treatment - you have to check them for curb rash or possible bending damage. People are going to be hesitant because of that unknown factor, and there is a lot of trepidation from people that don't have the skills to fix them or evaluate them properly before purchase. I'd like to think that I DO have those skills, hamfisted gorilla that I might be.

The set of TST rims that I bought were used, and had a fair amount of scratching / rash on the edges. For $600 though, it was worth it and I was able to fix them with some dremel polishing to take down the worst of the scratching, and fresh paint.

Last edited:
Going off the beaten path with 255/50R20s. Have a non Plaid 2022 MX. Bought a set of 20 x 9 fronts off ebay to go square. Already run 20 x 9 square for winters.

The summer rear Contis are worn to 3/32 in 10k miles. Fronts are still at 8/32. Am going with 50 series as the speedo reads 2 mph high at 60, so a larger tire will bring me 1.2 mph correction to the speedo. Also 255/50R20 has lots more tire choices at a lower price point than 265s, so must be more popular. Getting Nokian One 109V XL for $166/tire. Run Nokian winters and they are great. The One is a well reviewed USA made tire for the price of cheap Chinese tires.
I’m also considering the same square setup 255/50/20. Could you share your experience or issue with running 255 width in the rear? Any issue with the load requirement?