TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model x 2018

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Dhesi7, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Dhesi7

Dhesi7 New Member

hey all,

I just ordered my model x with all the features I wanted. Except, being someone who likes good quality music, I couldn’t justify the 7,900$ for the premium package.

I am in Toronto btw.

Just want people’s opinion about the standard speaker system. How’s the bass? sound quality?

Does anyone have specs on wattage?

All help is appreciated!

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Standard speaker sounds good in S not so much in X ...search forums for Reuss ..they do a really good upgrade for half the cost ..for the upgrade from Tesla its not so much the loss of premium stereo but other items u are giving up in the PUP

3. Dhesi7

Dhesi7 New Member

Thanks! Does getting a third party speaker upgrade void warranty?

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Not aware of upgrades to stereo voiding warranty ..reuss has done a bunch of Tesla upgrades over last few years and I have never seen a thread about voiding warranty

5. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

The standard audio in the X is okay, at best. I mean if you're not an audio snob it's not that bad, on par with most normal sounds systems in cars. If you listen in a non-premium and premium back-to-back, the sound is night and day. That's what I did with a variety of songs, and it's ridiculous how different it is. I think it also depends on what music you listen to. I don't listen to rap/R&B/bass-heavy music though, as I don't think the premium system is that great w/ heavy bass songs (just imo). I prefer acoustic and songs with more clarity. The results were pretty nuts. I bought the PUP mainly for the sound system, but self-presenting doors won me over too. Ridiculous how much I LOVE that feature. HEPA filtration and a heated steering wheel (I know I live in Texas, but I'm a Hawaii boy and I get cold all the time here). I splurged on the PUP and I don't think I'm going to regret it.

That being said, if you need to penny pinch, skipping on PUP is the easiest way to save cash.

I've read some reports of people doing aftermarket sound systems, so I assume it's possible. Good luck!

• Love x 1
  6. ahkim

ahkim Member

Frankly, I think the base system sounds pretty terrible compared to most premium system from high end auto companies. The B&O in my Audi was MUCH better.

I'm in the process of upgrading my base audio system. Been doing a bunch of research to make sure I get it done right. If you click the link in my sig, you'll see what I've posted so far. Hoping to pull the trigger in the couple weeks. You could do it for $3000, so be prepared to spend some money.

• Like x 1
  7. RumTumTugger

RumTumTugger Member

Anyone else have an issue with rain water leaking into cabin? Seems the glass must not have been sealed properly on my 100D which is just a few weeks old. :-(

Attached Files:

8. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

That doesn't look good. Definitely take that into your SC :(

9. dethman

dethman Member

i have the standard speaker system. it is...not great. if you really enjoy music you'll want to upgrade.

• Like x 2
  10. outie

outie Active Member

Weird. I’ve always read that the standard sound in X sounds much better than standard sound in model S. This finding is consistent with my experience on some loaner S I’ve had.

Back in 2016 I tested an X with premium audio when it was a standalone option and decided to pass. Granted I am no audiophile and most of the time we listen to kids songs and stories in the car.

• Like x 1
  11. bFlat

bFlat Member

I have spent a lot on home and portable audio and think I have pretty good hearing. Yes, the MX standard audio is average for a premium car. However, while driving you are surrounded by 60-70 dB of ambient noise. You really need to crank up your stereo in order to compensate. That's fine if you drive alone, but not so great for long term hearing health. Basically, any car is a horrible listening environment when traveling at highway speeds. How many folks commenting "PUP upgraded stereo is so much better" actually compared the sound while driving? It is a very common "trick" for unscrupulous audio sales people to just use a higher volume level on their "premium" products to make it perceptually sound better versus the lower volume "budget" system.

Next, there are no upgrade in audio source for Teslas. You can spend thousands on upgrading the speakers yet your source remains the same factory. If your primary listening is radio or the lossy streaming service like Slacker, your speakers can only amplify the source, not improve on it.

IMHO, it's not worth investing in audio upgrade for the MX for the reasons above. You want more "boom"? Just lower the high frequencies on the EQ by about -4 dB so you can crank up your volume more. Boosting the lower frequencies can cause distortion and clipping. Of course this is just from the point of practicality. If you must have the best and have the means to do it, then all you can do for now is get custom upgrades on speakers and amps. As far as I know, you cannot replace OEM source at this time.

12. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

It depends on how fast you're driving. In a lot of cases, I have to drive in traffic at 25 - 40 mph and I could notice a difference between the premium sounds, depending on the songs.

If you're driving at highway speeds all the time, then I can buy what you're saying. Then again, it's all up to the individual. There's more to the PUP than the audio, but the audio was definitely one of the deciding factors.