Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2nd row actuator not working to fold seat flat or bring to upright position.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I finally picked up my Model X yesterday from Fremont, CA and I am super excited to be a Tesla owner finally :) The signing was quick and I got my car writhing an hour. It went very well until I got home. I have a 7 seat configuration and the 2nd row single seat actuator stopped functioning and so did the lever below it to pull the seat forward or backward. The seat is stuck at a 45 degree angle and it won't move forward or backward. Wish it was stuck at the standard position as I would atleast be able to seat someone there. With it being stuck at an angle that seat is completely unusable.

I called tesla and after some troubleshooting they said I had to bring it in :( and that they can't get me an appointment until Wednesday.

Now to all you Model X owners have you faced this issue and is there a manual way to get the seat to an upright position?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 746
Hi all, I finally picked up my Model X yesterday from Fremont, CA and I am super excited to be a Tesla owner finally :) The signing was quick and I got my car writhing an hour. It went very well until I got home. I have a 7 seat configuration and the 2nd row single seat actuator stopped functioning and so did the lever below it to pull the seat forward or backward. The seat is stuck at a 45 degree angle and it won't move forward or backward. Wish it was stuck at the standard position as I would atleast be able to seat someone there. With it being stuck at an angle that seat is completely unusable.

I called tesla and after some troubleshooting they said I had to bring it in :( and that they can't get me an appointment until Wednesday.

Now to all you Model X owners have you faced this issue and is there a manual way to get the seat to an upright position?

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible that black thing (purse?) sitting on the seat is wedged into the crack where the seat folds? Have you tried removing it? My understanding is that the seats are sensitive, and can get jammed easily by something blocking them from folding completely. We're quite paranoid to move stuff out of the way prior to folding the seats because of this.

Is it possible that black thing (purse?) sitting on the seat is wedged into the crack where the seat folds? Have you tried removing it? My understanding is that the seats are sensitive, and can get jammed easily by something blocking them from folding completely. We're quite paranoid to move stuff out of the way prior to folding the seats because of this.
I removed it and tried again, even took off the car seat base next to it. It just won't respond. Thanks for your suggestion though.

For what it's worth - I have a Sept '17 delivery 7 seater, and have an issue with the mechanism for the same seat. In my case, when I press the hidden release button on the seat back, it moves forward to the 45 degree position, and then a few seconds later with all-hands-off, actuates a second time on it's own folding to full-flat. I'm unable to move that seat forward to allow easy access to the third row. No big deal for me, as we only use the third row occasionally, and now only do so from the drivers side until repaired.

Service worked it a bit back on November 28th and said there was a problem with the internal motor. They said they'd be in touch when replacement parts were available. Not sure if this will be a motor replacement, or a full seat.

Will troubleshooting did they have you check fuses? Are you able to move the seat forward/reverse?
For what it's worth - I have a Sept '17 delivery 7 seater, and have an issue with the mechanism for the same seat. In my case, when I press the hidden release button on the seat back, it moves forward to the 45 degree position, and then a few seconds later with all-hands-off, actuates a second time on it's own folding to full-flat. I'm unable to move that seat forward to allow easy access to the third row. No big deal for me, as we only use the third row occasionally, and now only do so from the drivers side until repaired.

Service worked it a bit back on November 28th and said there was a problem with the internal motor. They said they'd be in touch when replacement parts were available. Not sure if this will be a motor replacement, or a full seat.

I took it in yesterday as I was frustrated that they didn't give priority to a customer who just took delivery. They were apologetic in person and told they would get it fixed by today. I got a follow up call today stating there was a cabling issue that resulted in the problem and told me it was fixed and ready for pickup.

I go in and ask them to test it in front of me and guess what, it broke right in front of them again. Had to wait 2 hours and was turned back again without my car :( they said they are going to place a new order for that particular seat to be fully replaced.

Took delivery last Friday, has only 120 miles on it and 2 days in the shop. I can't believe this!

This same thing happened to me today. I just took delivery of my Model X yesterday 5/22/18 and my same second row seat got stuck in the same 45 degree angle. None of the levers work to move the seat forward/backward or adjust the angle of the seat back. The easy entry button makes a noise but doesn’t do anything.

Have an appointment with the SC on Monday.

Last edited:
This same thing happened to me today. I just took delivery of my Model X yesterday 5/22/18 and my same second row seat got stuck in the same 45 degree angle. None of the levers work to move the seat forward/backward or adjust the angle of the seat back. The easy entry button makes a noise but doesn’t do anything.

Have an appointment with the SC on Monday.

Did they end up replacing the seat?

We have just encountered this problem with the double-bench side of our 2nd row seats. There doesn't appear to be any actuator noise coming when you press the button. The R side single seat works fine, but not the L double seat. What were the solutions the rest of you found? Required a service call and/or new seat? Our X is about a year old, but we have not used the folding feature much, so it's not a matter of excessive use/wear.

I am having the same problem, now. I had some issues with the passenger side rear bench where I would have to press the button several times to get it to fold down. About 2 days ago it completely stopped working and is now stuck in the 45 degree angle. I can't get an appointment for 10 days. I guess I'm more fortunate than some - I've had my X for almost 6 months before it went completely went bad. I'm going to call them and see if I can bring it in early. I need my back seat!

I am having the same problem, now. I had some issues with the passenger side rear bench where I would have to press the button several times to get it to fold down. About 2 days ago it completely stopped working and is now stuck in the 45 degree angle. I can't get an appointment for 10 days. I guess I'm more fortunate than some - I've had my X for almost 6 months before it went completely went bad. I'm going to call them and see if I can bring it in early. I need my back seat!

Did you get it fixed?

For me, they tried repairing it which failed again so they just replaced that seat completely (the single seat in the second row)