Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Upgrade - Is it worth the (reduced) $4,500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 60D X, I supercharge to 100% all the time when taking road trips. When there's no car next to you sharing your SC station, it typically charges at 90-95kW/hr up until the last 15-20min remaining, and then slows down to anywhere from 25-45kW/hr from my experience. Meaning a full charge from close to 0% to 100% could take 50-60min best case if there's no other vehicle next to you sharing your SC. But since I normally have 25-50mi left when I hit the SC, it'll normally take around 40min all in to get to 100%.

same here - on road trips in an unpaired stall I'll get up to 95kw until 50%, then 50-74kw until 80%, then about 30-40kw until 100%.

I think the 60 vs 75 decision needs to be based on a specific driver's regular routes. In the most important ways, range needs are binary--either I have enough range for a particular trip, or I do not. A person who almost never drives more than 100 miles a day gets zero benefit from an upgrade. But on a 300 mile trip, I'm not sure there's a significant benefit to an upgrade either--save 20 minutes of charging time? Lots of 200 mile trips? Go for it!

I think the 60 vs 75 decision needs to be based on a specific driver's regular routes. In the most important ways, range needs are binary--either I have enough range for a particular trip, or I do not. A person who almost never drives more than 100 miles a day gets zero benefit from an upgrade. But on a 300 mile trip, I'm not sure there's a significant benefit to an upgrade either--save 20 minutes of charging time? Lots of 200 mile trips? Go for it!

I agree, but would also add that potential weather and traffic should be factored in. It was my experience with heavy traffic and rain that prompted my upgrade. Any time you have a distance of >100 miles between chargers that you might anticipate being impacted by two or more negative factors (cold temps, rain, traffic) you may want to consider the upgrade. The extra ~30 miles of rated range can translate to a critical 15 miles of extra "real world oh crap" range!

Just did the upgrade last night. The price was more than I'd like, but no regrets as we head into summer travel season (unless they lower the price this week..) At least it's not still 9.5K or 6.5K. For me the big difference is the round-trip when staying at rental houses in rural areas, off the superchargers routes. With the 60D, trickle-charging at the destination may give just barely enough to get back home or to a supercharger. With a 75D there's more wiggle room.

For stats - I haven't charged yet. Before upgrade was at 63% & 127 RM (201 RM at 100%). After upgrade it was 54% & 127 RM (making 235 RM at 100%). So adding about 34 rated miles.