Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X AC Making Loud Grinding Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm all broken up for you, but what has that got to do with my post above? I was just saying that ICE cooling systems make a a LOT of noise and a normal functioning Tesla is actually RELATIVELY quiet IMHO, even though you tend to notice it more because there is no additional engine noise. It wasn't even aimed at anything you posted, just an observation after reading this thread and listening to a few other vehicles in the recent heatwave.

Anyway go rant at your SC, not me!
I had a banana after I exercised this morning.

My Model X was delivered in late December, 2017, so around 3 months ago. Since I have gotten it, the AC has occasionally made this loud grinding noise that goes on for a little less than a minute. I have noticed that it specially happens when I park under the heat for a few hours and open the AC right away once I'm inside the car. Sometimes turning off the AC and turning it back on fixes the issues, and sometimes I just wait until it goes away on its own. However, it has been bothering me more recently and since where I'm living is going to get hotter in the coming months, I do not want to keep hearing it on a daily basis.

I shot a video earlier today, which you can watch below, where it happened again. Can anyone let me know if this is a technical issue that would require me to visit the service center or I shouldn't be too worried about it?

That sounds like something is expanding in the heat and then cooling again. When it expands it makes the grinding noise.

Tesla should be able to fix it.

I had exactly the same issue. The first time they said they couldn't reproduce it.

Then, I recorded it on my phone and scheduled another visit. This time the technician said he knew exactly what it would be. Same as the OP. Two pieces rubbing against each other. Have had no problems since.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
2021 #Teslemon MX owner, <2k miles.

I get a massive loud whitting sound when I turn on the AC, and it's 70 degrees out. That is beyond unacceptable that this hasn't been fixed in 3 years as a problem.

So many other similar problems that I want to give the bar back.

Super happy I found this thread. Tesla remotely diagnosed my issue after sending in a video of my car making the same noise as OP’s video. They said I would need a new AC condenser fan at a repair cost of $650. I JUST had it replaced last year along with a new AC compressor.

I’ll be showing them this link when I go into service.