Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the standard range is below the last SR that was sold. I believe the last SR was sold as 270 miles if I recall correctly. That means at a 5K discount of the price today, you lose 20 miles of range, you get FSD and obviously the new upgrade.

On the other hand, the same car with the long range pack was still cheaper, so you are effectively buying more range too. It sucks to miss the upgrade, but I don't think they got hammered.

I think the Performance did become cheaper, so good for people who want to get that

The a- is just rolled into the price. In fact the price went up $500 if built the same as the day before. The mileage increased by 30 which may be attributed to the newer higher efficiency permanent magnate motors being introduced into the MX and MS.

I think the standard range is below the last SR that was sold. I believe the last SR was sold as 270 miles if I recall correctly. That means at a 5K discount of the price today, you lose 20 miles of range, you get FSD and obviously the new upgrade.

On the other hand, the same car with the long range pack was still cheaper, so you are effectively buying more range too. It sucks to miss the upgrade, but I don't think they got hammered.

I think the Performance did become cheaper, so good for people who want to get that

The new SR is a puzzle. With the efficiency improvements, it should be about a 75 kWh pack.

But I can't imagine they started building the 75/90 modules again after finally getting everything on the 100 modules, and a fourteen module 100 should be an 85, with 270ish range after the improvements.

Why the range loss on the performance version? It’s listed as same diameter wheels. Is it mostly tires? Or does the performance have the larger rear motor? I don’t recall...

In the past, the performance cars had the larger motor from the original RWD S, with a high output inverter. Since the fancy switched reluctance motor is the front, that's likely still the case.

You can't put that kind of power down on low rolling resistance all season tires, so performance cars are generally delivered with high performance summer tires (which they tend to go through quickly, the biggest cost on a fast Tesla); I wonder if they're rating the performance with the higher rolling resistance tires?

Interesting indeed. To me this feels like a stop-gap between today and the eventual introduction of a newly designed pack with 2170s, as Electrek reported earlier last week. That article suggested a release as early as summer. So while this is incredibly tempting to this X90D owner, I'm still thinking I might hold off.

Boy, I could use the range with my camper, though. I'm currently seeing about 120 miles total range, this would bump it over 160 miles.

Ditto. My X 90D with AP1, 22” wheels, and a practical range of about 180 miles is feeling...uh...old. Ready for an upgrade but willing to wait until the 2170 pack and interior refresh.

Reactions: P85_DA
Welp, I feel screwed.

I bought this car less than a month ago, less than 500miles on the car. Now autopilot is free, now the models come with longer battery, better suspension, and faster charging.. I picked the long distance tesla for that very reason, now its over 70 miles longer in less than a month of receiving my model. I thought i was buying a 2019 model, not to feel outdated in less than a month. Feel like I bought a brand new outdated car.

Welp, I feel screwed.

I bought this car less than a month ago, less than 500miles on the car. Now autopilot is free, now the models come with longer battery, better suspension, and faster charging.. I picked the long distance tesla for that very reason, now its over 70 miles longer in less than a month of receiving my model. I thought i was buying a 2019 model, not to feel outdated in less than a month. Feel like I bought a brand new outdated car.
I'm sorry about how you feel. Because of the way Tesla sells cars and pushes new features and/or pricing out (read: demand levering), it seems that at least a quarter of the content of this forum is about buying cars that rapidly become "the older version." If it makes you feel better, I'll repeat what I always say - my 2014 S P85 with no Autopilot or other fanciness is still my favorite car, and I'd say it's better than 98% of what I see on the road. You've got a great car and I hope you get a lot of joy out of it.

I’ve got a 2017 HW2 100D that’s held onto nearly all it’s 295 miles of range...but I’m awfully tempted with this offer.

The ludicrous mode is one thing of course, but there are other changes that would be really nice. For example, I really wish my X had the quieter, “softer closing” door latches in the front doors. I also wish I had the new sheet metal where the FWDs close (to avoid rubbing paint). Two stupid things - but I notice them every day. And that says nothing of things like MCU2, HW3, overall better build quality, etc.

I shot a message to my Sales Advisor (is he still employed there???) to check on trade-in values for my X. I think the 2170 cells are a 2020 change at the earliest. And I don’t discount the fact that, depending on how much influence the Model 3 has on the new interior/exterior refresh, I WON’T like it. The current design is a known quantity that I think is quite stunning, especially compared to that God-awful front end of the Model 3.

The ONLY negative I see to making the upgrade now is not getting the CCS port built into the car and hoping Tesla makes an adapter that doesn’t compromise charge speeds. Otherwise, this is a great deal IMO.

I’ve got a 2017 HW2 100D that’s held onto nearly all it’s 295 miles of range...but I’m awfully tempted with this offer.

The ludicrous mode is one thing of course, but there are other changes that would be really nice. For example, I really wish my X had the quieter, “softer closing” door latches in the front doors. I also wish I had the new sheet metal where the FWDs close (to avoid rubbing paint). Two stupid things - but I notice them every day. And that says nothing of things like MCU2, HW3, overall better build quality, etc.

I shot a message to my Sales Advisor (is he still employed there???) to check on trade-in values for my X. I think the 2170 cells are a 2020 change at the earliest. And I don’t discount the fact that, depending on how much influence the Model 3 has on the new interior/exterior refresh, I WON’T like it. The current design is a known quantity that I think is quite stunning, especially compared to that God-awful front end of the Model 3.

The ONLY negative I see to making the upgrade now is not getting the CCS port built into the car and hoping Tesla makes an adapter that doesn’t compromise charge speeds. Otherwise, this is a great deal IMO.

The door still rubs on the new car, don't worry they didn't fix that.

A serious question though, do we think v3 145 and 200kw charging will come to later (say 2018) Xs? Also will new tires and ceramic bearings, etc be available for a cost? E.g. the stuff that isn’t motor/inverter, perhaps resulting in a 10 or 15 mile range increase on a 100D...?

Welp, I feel screwed.

I took delivery of a MX 10 days ago. I am really questioning that decision right now.

Glad I'm not the only one. Pulled up my timeline on an X from June to take advantage of the reduced price before the purported ~3% increase on March 19th. Well, the price didn't actually go up on the X after that, and now the same config costs $3k less due to included autopilot, plus it's longer range + charges faster. Feeling pretty duped right about now...

I think the main reason it stings is that these changes are launched with seemingly arbitrary timing and no semi-reliable advance notice (though this particular announcement happening the day before earnings is unlikely to be a coincidence), so it's impossible to make an informed decision, and there's no consolation to those who picked a bad time to buy. With other products, you have a regular upgrade cadence, like smartphones or traditional cars where the new version is released around the same time each year and the previous model gets more and more discounted as you approach and pass the launch date. So you at least have the choice of trying to score a deal or waiting to see what the next generation will bring. But in this case, you're just rolling the dice as to whether you'll get the last in the line of a soon-to-be outdated generation. If you're unfortunate and an announcement drops for a significant upgrade at no additional cost the day after your return window closes, then too bad and better luck next time.

Tesla's approach here just doesn't sit right with me; it seems short-sighted and haphazard. There's something to be said for setting expectations with buyers rather than surprising them, which in the worst case leaves them sitting on the sidelines indefinitely. There are a number of ways Tesla could go about this differently to smooth out the transition. Like giving a 2 week lead time between announcement and launch, combined with a modest price premium on the latest and greatest that phases out over time (maybe tick/tock for product/pricing changes?). This would give Tesla a margin boost from early adopters, and the others get some semblance of choice and control. Sure, do iterative improvements to small things whenever, but save the big updates - significant range/performance boosts, styling makeovers, etc. - to something like once or twice a year, on a regular schedule, and introduce it in an orderly fashion, and customers would appreciate it more. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter. Still doesn't do anything to make me feel better about the present situation, though.