Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently they can push older cars to do 145kw charging. But they cannot do 200kw, as that requires different hardware.

Any official word on this? same exact battery pack, so honestly the only difference would have to be the wiring but AFAIK the only difference between these cars is the newer motors.

I noticed that too. Dunno why they took away carbon fiber option. The glossy black wood trim on the white interior is a finger print and scratch magnet.

pretty sure they took carbon fiber away months ago.

I guess no model years is a very lean approach. You just use the old parts until you run out and then switch to the new ones. Be interesting how vendor parts contracts are written. I think Tesla should simply go to a 6 month cycle. Every Jan or July there will be changes, that way everyone can plan accordingly.

That is not how they roll. Think software company, which they are to a degree with over the air updates, etc. You constantly make small, even tiny, improvements and ship often.

Glad I'm not the only one. Pulled up my timeline on an X from June to take advantage of the reduced price before the purported ~3% increase on March 19th. Well, the price didn't actually go up on the X after that, and now the same config costs $3k less due to included autopilot, plus it's longer range + charges faster. Feeling pretty duped right about now...

I think the main reason it stings is that these changes are launched with seemingly arbitrary timing and no semi-reliable advance notice (though this particular announcement happening the day before earnings is unlikely to be a coincidence), so it's impossible to make an informed decision, and there's no consolation to those who picked a bad time to buy. With other products, you have a regular upgrade cadence, like smartphones or traditional cars where the new version is released around the same time each year and the previous model gets more and more discounted as you approach and pass the launch date. So you at least have the choice of trying to score a deal or waiting to see what the next generation will bring. But in this case, you're just rolling the dice as to whether you'll get the last in the line of a soon-to-be outdated generation. If you're unfortunate and an announcement drops for a significant upgrade at no additional cost the day after your return window closes, then too bad and better luck next time.

Tesla's approach here just doesn't sit right with me; it seems short-sighted and haphazard. There's something to be said for setting expectations with buyers rather than surprising them, which in the worst case leaves them sitting on the sidelines indefinitely. There are a number of ways Tesla could go about this differently to smooth out the transition. Like giving a 2 week lead time between announcement and launch, combined with a modest price premium on the latest and greatest that phases out over time (maybe tick/tock for product/pricing changes?). This would give Tesla a margin boost from early adopters, and the others get some semblance of choice and control. Sure, do iterative improvements to small things whenever, but save the big updates - significant range/performance boosts, styling makeovers, etc. - to something like once or twice a year, on a regular schedule, and introduce it in an orderly fashion, and customers would appreciate it more. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter. Still doesn't do anything to make me feel better about the present situation, though.
There are always going to be people buy just before an update who will not be happy they missed out, but that should not stop Tesla always working to improve their cars which is very commendable. I can understand them not pre- announcing such changes, as then sales would virtually dry up just before the change, and Tesla precarious finances cannot risk that happening.

I am also one of many who recently bought a MX in August 2018 and even though I realize my MX now has second best tech and just depreciated another $10k--we should not feel that bad and here's why. Whoever is in the position to buy the newest S or X has also paid their dues by either switching from an ICE car, which means they were using tech from last century up until now and paid dearly for their gas, oil changes, etc. while we enjoying our bubble-like-smog-free-environment (for 4+ years for me), or else, they are switching from an older Tesla and just took a bath on that depreciation. So we are all in the same boat, sort of.

Tempted to upgrade our X (90D) as well but won't bother. On 20" wheels we get 75% of estimated range, on 22" we get 65%.
For the 90D it was rated at 250 miles x .75 = 187 miles.
For the new LR X, it's 325 x .75 = 243 miles.

60 mile difference isn't enough to make me go through the trouble of privately selling the 90D, losing supercharging, having paid for PPF, etc. Perhaps the new drivetrain and adaptive suspension really change the range. Our model 3 LR gets nearly all the estimated range.

If they convert to to the 2170 battery pack with thicker wiring allowing V3 charging so better range with faster recharge, then I'd spring for that.

Seriously? That’s ridiculous. Does it rub the paint off completely like mine does?

What? I agree that’s crazy. They redesigned the sheet metal and DIDN’T fix this issue? That makes no friggin’ sense.

Just to be clear, I’ve circled the part of the X that is different on newer models that I THOUGHT was redesigned to address the rubbing paint issue. I guess not...

A5E2DFA8-0137-4185-B2BB-40FA38AA8C39.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SailorDave
I am also one of many who recently bought a MX in August 2018 and even though I realize my MX now has second best tech and just depreciated another $10k--we should not feel that bad and here's why. Whoever is in the position to buy the newest S or X has also paid their dues by either switching from an ICE car, which means they were using tech from last century up until now and paid dearly for their gas, oil changes, etc. while we enjoying our bubble-like-smog-free-environment (for 4+ years for me), or else, they are switching from an older Tesla and just took a bath on that depreciation. So we are all in the same boat, sort of.
This is similar to my thoughts as well. I have a July '18 X and while I'm envious of the new ranges and all the changes, imagine what we'll be seeing in 4 years! No need for me to get all worked up about some incremental updates at this point. I assume that when I buy another X in 4 years, it'll be as amazing as when I first got this one...

Tempted to upgrade our X (90D) as well but won't bother. On 20" wheels we get 75% of estimated range, on 22" we get 65%.
For the 90D it was rated at 250 miles x .75 = 187 miles.
For the new LR X, it's 325 x .75 = 243 miles.

60 mile difference isn't enough to make me go through the trouble of privately selling the 90D, losing supercharging, having paid for PPF, etc. Perhaps the new drivetrain and adaptive suspension really change the range. Our model 3 LR gets nearly all the estimated range.

If they convert to to the 2170 battery pack with thicker wiring allowing V3 charging so better range with faster recharge, then I'd spring for that.
Glad to see someone else getting the same mileage as me - and weighing up PPF and supercharging.
Agree with your plan to wait - maybe next year, esp with there is a HW4 with the Y

Reactions: ps004ynos
It’s a non stop rollercoaster of spec and pricing changes. I bought last August and have been through product retirements (75D) along with pricing reductions for 100D, PUP included as standard - and pricing reductions, even further pricing reductions for 100D, EAP and FSD fire sale pricing reduction... and so on...

Bottom line - whoever buys today and is overjoyed at getting in on the latest updates and pricing is going to be upset and feel screwed over in a few months as Tesla announce more updates and pricing adjustments. When Tesla do the interior refresh and new battery packs people who order today aren’t going to be happy.

The rate of change on these cars is very rapid. If you buy one you just have to be happy with what you have or else you are going to be trading in every few months - which I am sure would make Tesla happy. My 75D does everything I need it to in terms of semi autonomous driving options and tech, and can do everything the latest models can - the new motors / faster charging etc would be nice but aren’t a necessity. What would drive me to upgrade? If they totally changed direction on cameras / sensors etc that prevented me from getting newer autonomy features.