TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Auto Pilot reminder

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SolarDj, Aug 10, 2018.

1. SolarDj

SolarDj New Member

After 21k miles of driving in last 10 months, I had a nice reminder that there’s still a ways to go..... 10mph stop and go traffic, truck in front had a low, empty flat bed trailer. Hardly felt it, but sure will with insurance later:(.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  2. CharlieLab

CharlieLab Member

Ooch... that insurance bill is going to be pretty interesting.

• Like x 1
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Bummer sorry to see that

4. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Ouch.... one would expect the sensors to pick that up. You were using it as per the design, on the highway. why wasn't it picked up? Looked like it was right at the sensor height. I rarely use mine just because of these claims.... and to think of how far autopilot has come too... LOL

I would be asking Tesla to have a look at why it failed

• Like x 1
  5. SolarDj

SolarDj New Member

Still on road trip and now stuck in an ICE van. What would normally be a relaxing and cost free trip, has turned into an 3.90 per gallon trip without any lane keeping assistance, or stellar crash safety. Lesson learned:/

• Informative x 1
  6. K3Man

K3Man Member

Oooooooo.....!!!! Oh man! Sounds like no one was hurt at least? Probably the only good thing about that.

7. dethman

dethman Member

Ouch. Very sorry to see that, painful.

But just to be clear, autopilot crashed you into a flatbed with what will surely be a large repair bill, and you are lamenting the cost of gas?

8. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Well it's still insult to injury for sure

OP: Sorry to see that :( I hope it gets resolved quickly once you return from your trip

9. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

So sorry to see and hear it! Glad everyone is ok!

10. bayx

bayx Member

Oh man, sorry to see this. Maybe you should talk to Tesla before your insurance and ask if they will fix it since you followed what Tesla says AP can be used for.

11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Tesla won’t pay for this ..there are enough disclaimers about holding wheel etc ...given Tesla part shortages I wouldn’t doubt if this was easily a 5mo job for body shop

12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Why? The driver is ultimately responsible for the operation of the vehicle.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

This is why we will have the nags for a while..

14. spectrum

spectrum Member

That looks totaled :( Sorry to see it go this way. It seems like a beautiful config. I'm one of the rare people that didn't get EAP, and this is the reason. I didn't want to become dependent on something that's still in "Beta"

15. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I can’t imagine how you must feel. I was just in a 10mile traffic jam and never touched any pedals the whole way. A failure like this at low speed should never have happened and is not something you are easily prepared for. Totally the car’s fault in my opinion (although probably not legally).

Hope you get it fixed and returned soon.

16. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

first sorry for dmg and glad no one was hurt.

but second i must comment on the lack of driver awareness in this accident. and this is the main problem Tesla has with people over-trusting or over-reliance on the technology. i wasn't there but if you were paying attention and watching the car approach the flat bed trailer at 10mph what stopped you from slamming on the brakes? even if you were VERY trusting of the autopilot system you could still see it wasn't going to engage and stop so what prevented you from stepping in... which is what you are supposed to do.

my guess is that you were not paying attention and thus were not using the system properly, which unfortunately most of the headline news Tesla accidents are also doing. i am also guilty of this from time to time. i was unaware of the limitations of the system and found myself testing its limits.

Tesla may have to be more aggressive about educating drivers on the limitations of the system.

• Like x 2
  17. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

This happened to me today after two hours of reading this forum.

Thankfully, I didn’t crash into it. I actually intentionally went behind the trailer in an adjacent lane to experiment.

What ended up happening was that my MX would stop with a safe enough distance behind the trailer. Once the car came to a complete stop, however, it would “ignore” the trailer, and then continue straight ahead to the truck.

I made sure that this was this case 3 times. All three times, autopilot was engaged and I disengaged it at the absolute last second to give AP a chance. It would have turned out to be a very similar story.

I hope your MX gets out and back on the road soon.

First pic is of when AP stopped before hitting trailer (safe distance)
    IMG_5487.jpg

Second pic is of when I waited to slam brakes. Pic was taken once brakes have been pressed, AP disengaged, and passengers frustrated
    IMG_5485.jpg

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
  18. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

i suppose you could contact Tesla and explain the problem autopilot has with these trailers and hope they will reward you for the research by fixing your vehicle. Let us know if they do!

• Like x 1
  19. bayx

bayx Member

You are brave, good research and Tesla should take note of this. Maybe send their tech team (if you can find a contact listed somewhere) a link to this thread too?

20. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

I really hope Tesla could take a look at that. That is something that shouldn’t even be a problem in beta.
    You can see from the second picture once I disengaged, it did sense something in front of the car.
    But you can also see from IC how far away the actual “car” is away from the MX, where actually it was mere inches away.
    Hopefully it’s software, and not a hardware thing. Otherwise when FSD is rolled out and ready to go, those trailers will be tesla traps