Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Auto Pilot reminder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me today after two hours of reading this forum.

Thankfully, I didn’t crash into it. I actually intentionally went behind the trailer in an adjacent lane to experiment.

What ended up happening was that my MX would stop with a safe enough distance behind the trailer. Once the car came to a complete stop, however, it would “ignore” the trailer, and then continue straight ahead to the truck.

I made sure that this was this case 3 times. All three times, autopilot was engaged and I disengaged it at the absolute last second to give AP a chance. It would have turned out to be a very similar story.

I hope your MX gets out and back on the road soon.

First pic is of when AP stopped before hitting trailer (safe distance)
View attachment 325561

Second pic is of when I waited to slam brakes. Pic was taken once brakes have been pressed, AP disengaged, and passengers frustrated
View attachment 325562

Nice work. Any dashcam video? Im quite sure tesla (and everyone else) will be quick to blame the driver but this clearly seems a real AP issue.

Reactions: Ludalicious
I really hope Tesla could take a look at that. That is something that shouldn’t even be a problem in beta.
You can see from the second picture once I disengaged, it did sense something in front of the car.
But you can also see from IC how far away the actual “car” is away from the MX, where actually it was mere inches away.
Hopefully it’s software, and not a hardware thing. Otherwise when FSD is rolled out and ready to go, those trailers will be tesla traps

Is this with current level AP2?

Super weird to have a vehicle for 10 months and 21k and have that be your first post on the forum. Reminds me of a few other "new members" posts.

To be fair the guy has just crashed it and then probably did a bit of research into the circumstances and hence came across the forum. Not everyone is into car forums. It's actually very useful tp be aware of this limitation with AP so I'm glad it was flagged up.

Worst of all, yes, it was AP2! Took delivery in late March 2018, brand new MX 75D
Would expect the numerous sensors to be able to account for such a situation, especially since you can see that once AP was disengaged, it did sense something there

Yeah, it's a bit of a worry that it can't pick up things like this. Just shows how far there is to go yet with these systems.

Reactions: Ludalicious
To be fair the guy has just crashed it and then probably did a bit of research into the circumstances and hence came across the forum. Not everyone is into car forums. It's actually very useful tp be aware of this limitation with AP so I'm glad it was flagged up.
I don't dispute that this can happen, and I believe that 1375mlm is a real person. But I've seen too many posts exactly like the op's to not be skeptical. They post some long detailed description of unintended acceleration or how dangerous something is, then vanish. If I'm wrong, I apologise, but man all the signs are there.
Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

I’m about as real as Elon’s coast to coast autopilot trip.
But I do believe that the question of whether the post was real or not was in reference to the original post about the crash
Lol. We'll see that coast to coast someday. OP's post indeed has me a bit skeptical. All of the fake posts on here have a similar MO. Although I've also noticed trailers and more recently, shiny tin things being pulled drive autopilot into a frenzy. Must be the reflections and sun bouncing off causing the vehicle to go nuts. I don't think it's anywhere near coast to coast ready, unless they mean from East to west coast of Florida, and even that's a stretch.

Reactions: 1375mlm

Attachments

• 9AFC1E34-C14E-4009-9784-58DA0D71994F.jpeg
    9AFC1E34-C14E-4009-9784-58DA0D71994F.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 48
I don't think it's anywhere near coast to coast ready, unless they mean from East to west coast of Florida, and even that's a stretch.

I actually wanted to believe Elon, like I’m sure everyone else did too. I wanted to believe him so much that for the longest time I did.
Even when December 2017 passed by, he said it would happen “very early” in 2018. So I took that to mean that they were already “ done” with AP, but just were tweaking it.
Then when he said “three to six months” 7 months ago, I thought “okay its really coming now”
Although I still check frequently for AP progress, I’m still skeptical. I’ve done by best not to get my hopes up for the upcoming August update, that way I can’t be disappointed haha.

Didn’t mean to distract from thread topic. I’ll just focus on how far tesla has come, rather than how far it has to go

Reactions: fasteddie7
You know.... the mechanism for showing multiple car "icons" in the IC is that radar is bounced UNDER the vehicle in front of you to detect the car in front of that one.

wonder if the trailer radar return was ignored as implausible, yet the bounce correctly located the actual vehicle pulling the trailer.

I don't dispute that this can happen, and I believe that 1375mlm is a real person. But I've seen too many posts exactly like the op's to not be skeptical. They post some long detailed description of unintended acceleration or how dangerous something is, then vanish. If I'm wrong, I apologise, but man all the signs are there.
Estimate came back under 10k. Safeco. Just wanted to share as it seems there is always slightly different traits with each update. I was on 2nd most current version

Reactions: Kacey Green

I know what you mean, but if AP genuinely cannot reliably pick up low trailers like this (I haven't tested it personally in that scenario) then it's a real thing to worry about regardless of the OP's posting intentions. But unless the OP starts ranting about Tesla in general for no specific reason, I'd take the posting as a direct response to their accident. On other car forums you often get genuine first time posters in response to a major incident with their car. People who would not otherwise frequent the forums. Once their major issue is resolved they normally disappear again, as you might expect if that was their only reason to be there.

The sudden acceleration post you referred to is also probably a genuine post, even if the actual reason for the accident is 99.99% driver error!