Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you calculate degradation? New owner of a 2016 X w/47k, i charge to 90% every night and it gets me to 205 miles. i only use, at most, 20-30 miles a day, but it seems at the end of day when i charge, im as low as 130-150. How do i know what is acceptable and when i should raise the red flag? Also, sometimes I do have to visit family which is a straight highway, no elevation 40 miles shot. when i do the navigation, it comes to about 20% for the 40 miles, so 80 miles is 40%, is this also acceptable for a 2016?​

...How do you calculate degradation?...

I would charge my car to 100% and see what's the car's rated range on the battery gauge. It would be helpful to do that with the same temperature (summer vs summer and not summer vs winter readouts)

...20-30 miles a day, but it seems at the end of day when i charge, im as low as 130-150. How do i know what is acceptable and when i should raise the red flag? Also, sometimes I do have to visit family which is a straight highway, no elevation 40 miles shot. when i do the navigation, it comes to about 20% for the 40 miles, so 80 miles is 40%, is this also acceptable for a 2016?

The above observation is about consumption which is dependent on many factors, not just temperature. I would not use this to measure battery degradation.

My 2017 x100d was able to charge to 294 when new(tried once). It has 35k on it and i usually charge to 90%. New was 264
Current is 254. Will be 3 years old in June.
Mileage almost all in town. I do supercharge a lot because it’s free and the 72 amp charger really drinks juice at home.

Yes it does, but it’s a rather gross measure. No more than 30% loss in 8 years. But if you had say 20% loss in one year something is likely wrong and should have it diagnosed. If it’s a real fault, they would probably find it and fix it.
How many times have people on the forums indicated that the SC's won't do anything about battery degradation, not to mention that I addressed it with them on my S60 a couple of years ago. Show me in their policy where it gives an actual number relating to battery degradation and I'll gladly concur with your speculative comments.

How many times have people on the forums indicated that the SC's won't do anything about battery degradation, not to mention that I addressed it with them on my S60 a couple of years ago. Show me in their policy where it gives an actual number relating to battery degradation and I'll gladly concur with your speculative comments.

It’s in black and white under battery warranty. It’s 70%.

There have been tons of whiners griping I lost 3% or 5% over some short period. 90% of those are battery measurement calibration. The other 9% are real degradation and well within spec. 1% of the grips are real, usually large and don’t follow the corrective path. Problem is they get buried by the other 99%. There are folks that had real problems with batteries and got them replaced.

Based on posts it does not take to much pressure to get Tesla to run a remote diagnostic on the the battery and that often leads to deeper investigation if something is really wrong.

Do some searches on the forum.

It’s in black and white under battery warranty. It’s 70%.

There have been tons of whiners griping I lost 3% or 5% over some short period. 90% of those are battery measurement calibration. The other 9% are real degradation and well within spec. 1% of the grips are real, usually large and don’t follow the corrective path. Problem is they get buried by the other 99%. There are folks that had real problems with batteries and got them replaced.

Based on posts it does not take to much pressure to get Tesla to run a remote diagnostic on the the battery and that often leads to deeper investigation if something is really wrong.

Do some searches on the forum.
The battery warranty has definitely been updated very recently, there was no previous mention as to a percentage of the battery capacity being guaranteed. I just looked at the Tesla website and see that they now mention this. I also noticed that the 8 year infinite mile warranty has been adjusted to 150K miles.

When I had my S60 a couple of years ago, the 80% dropped to 140 miles and they wouldn't do anything about it (I was told that this was within range). The couple of times I charged to 100%, I would only see around 165-170 miles (should've been around 205-210).

I stand corrected though.

Reactions: mswlogo
hi all,
Looking for advice on this:
I’m at 21k kilometres and 3.84% range loss. Went from 475km EPA to 456km. Is this expected? At which point can I use the battery warranty?
This is totally normal. Just as a point of comparison, my 2017 MX 100D lost about 5% of rated range in the first year, between approximately 5000 and 13,000 miles. It is now at 34,000 miles and has held essentially steady.
A7587A4B-8AFF-48BF-B9D5-BF2FC226CFCB.jpeg

New Typical degradation within the first 12 - 18 months is apx 5% and then it should level off.
this is some strange info that does not match my experience.
On my current X 100D that I received with 99.2kWh usable battery (+4kWh buffer) on March 29 2018 (demo inventory car produced on Nov 11 2017, original battery capacity unknown, I got it with 2.7k miles or so) today the usable capacity is 96.8kWh (also pack is cold and it's winter so likely better than that). in March 2019 it was at 97.9kWh

My first X100D that I got new with 98.1kWh and disposed of in 9 months with 96.0kWh.

Some say, that to get an accurate measurement of battery health, you need to run the battery down to under 10%, then charge back up to 100%. This resets an accurate measurement of your battery capacity.

Owners tend to drive themselves crazy, trying to extrapolate data from percentages of charge, but don't believe this is accurate.

As other have said. First year or so shows a significant reduction from new, but then the reduction tapers slowly over the next +10 years.

Looks like Tesla batteries are standing up to the test of time, and showing much less degradation than originally projected.

Of course, all batteries are slightly different from others, so the postings of one owner may not dictate what everyone else should expect.

How do you calculate degradation? New owner of a 2016 X w/47k, i charge to 90% every night and it gets me to 205 miles. i only use, at most, 20-30 miles a day, but it seems at the end of day when i charge, im as low as 130-150. How do i know what is acceptable and when i should raise the red flag? Also, sometimes I do have to visit family which is a straight highway, no elevation 40 miles shot. when i do the navigation, it comes to about 20% for the 40 miles, so 80 miles is 40%, is this also acceptable for a 2016?​

my 90% is 189 miles