Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like mine isnt bad in comparison, but 189 seems pretty bad. If my math is correct, that is a 21% battery degradation over the last 3 years (189/237). Not sure how acceptable that is, but what did Tesla say about the loss?

Do any of the firmware updates correspond with your drop? The recent changes to TeslaFI and Your Software Updates page would show that: TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger
8122BB73-B8AA-4114-934E-96BAAED4A9B2.png

This is what it looks like there was a drop at 2019.32.12.2, but there was also a temperature drop.

My 90% was 270 miles when I picked it up Aug 1, 2019 with five miles on the odometer. About 3 months ago my 90% dropped to 269 miles. Today, at 12,300 miles and nearly seven months, it’s still 269. I have never charged to 100% (haven’t needed to), keep it plugged in at home, set to 90% charge. I have taken around ten 150-200 mile trips, supercharged about the same amount of times. Lowest I’ve gone was about 13%.

Reactions: wreighven
1 Month old 2020 X LR 20" wheels and winter tires.
At the moment, 100% SoC is 508km (317 Miles)
After the battery "settles" (they do that) during the next couple of months (I drive a lot every day), I expect a reduction of about 4% which is totally normal. So I'll be on 487ish Kilometers (304 miles) for the next couple of years, sloooowly dropping bit by bit, because after the initial "settling in period", degradation in Tesla's is extremely slow. Unless you ignore the following guide-lines:

Those numbers above are totally irrelevant as one does not charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary and one does NOT run a battery down to zero. Period.
Stick to 90% max. in day-to-day life (80 or 85% being better) and avoid going below 20% too often. One does not drive a gas-car to an empty tank either, not does one fill it up so much that fuel starts gushing out of the filler-hole. The same concepts apply to batteries (more or less).
As to the "why": there are so many posts and articles on why that is bad for your Battery life, no need to repeat all of that here.

Also, avoid charging at very high speeds often (Supercharging, CCS at high speed chargers etc.) as charging so fast put's an immense strain on a battery. They where not designed for that. All of this has been explained a thousand times, by both Tesla and many others. If you want to know the intimate details, there are plenty of sources to choose from.

To give some perspective: my mid-2014 Model S 85 had 402km when brand new. After a few months, that was down to roughly 380km. Settled in, it stayed like that for a long long time.
5.5 Years and 220'000km later, the battery was on 93% of it's original capacity. Because I listened to Tesla and treated the battery with care.

All of this is not specific to electric cars. The same happens in Laptops and Smartphones and Tablets. We generally just don't notice it as nobody measures how long it takes to charge them etc. analy.
Some people get obsessed with their car's battery. My advice as a 6 year Tesla veteran: Don't. Just drive the car and treat it right.

Also, avoid charging at very high speeds often (Supercharging, CCS at high speed chargers etc.) as charging so fast put's an immense strain on a battery. They where not designed for that. All of this has been explained a thousand times, by both Tesla and many others.

Our X says otherwise.
Comparing with the 90% numbers Ive seen posted online by many here with similar mileage/age, my 90% is the same or better than many who have practically never supercharged.

I have a 2018 model x 100d. Supposed to get 265miles on 90 percent charge. I am getting 239 to 241 miles on a 90 percent charge.. car its 31k miles now. Is that normal? I do sometimes charge at a SC station.
What is your charge % when you finish going the 239-241 miles? You are correct, 90% of 295 is about 265 miles, however that would mean you are going down to 0% to get to 265 miles. I assume you are closer to 10%, so that would be about right. There are actually many other factors such as A/C or heat use, terrain, etc. I posted this on another thread earlier today:

"My 2018 MX100D with 49,000 miles and mostly supercharged is at about 6.5% degradation, maybe 20 miles off range of 295 miles. Scan my Tesla shows Nominal Full pack of 93.5 kWh. Around town I actually get better range numbers, but on the highway where I spend most of the time at 75-80 mph I usually only get 3-3.5 hours or 230 miles on a start of 100% charge to 10%. Subsequent segments are usually 150-175 miles as you don't charge to 100% on the road unless you are stopping for an extended period of time. Speed really affects range. When I am on roads with a speed limit of 55-60 mph I could go a lot closer to 290 miles on a charge."

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I have a 2018 model x 100d. Supposed to get 265miles on 90 percent charge. I am getting 239 to 241 miles on a 90 percent charge.. car its 31k miles now. Is that normal? I do sometimes charge at a SC station.
I have a 2020 Model X LR Plus. Purchased in12/2019. 33k miles. Full range showing 332 miles. Have used the Superchargers frequently. Typically charge to @85%.

What is your charge % when you finish going the 239-241 miles? You are correct, 90% of 295 is about 265 miles, however that would mean you are going down to 0% to get to 265 miles. I assume you are closer to 10%, so that would be about right. There are actually many other factors such as A/C or heat use, terrain, etc. I posted this on another thread earlier today:

"My 2018 MX100D with 49,000 miles and mostly supercharged is at about 6.5% degradation, maybe 20 miles off range of 295 miles. Scan my Tesla shows Nominal Full pack of 93.5 kWh. Around town I actually get better range numbers, but on the highway where I spend most of the time at 75-80 mph I usually only get 3-3.5 hours or 230 miles on a start of 100% charge to 10%. Subsequent segments are usually 150-175 miles as you don't charge to 100% on the road unless you are stopping for an extended period of time. Speed really affects range. When I am on roads with a speed limit of 55-60 mph I could go a lot closer to 290 miles on a charge."
Well I always charge it to 90 percent which suppose to get 265 miles. Befor road trip I get 242 miles. The degradation seem quite alot from 265 miles to down to now 241. I recently took a 700 miles road trip last couple weeks.. I charged it couple times now and I never got back to 242 miles. Driving always the same. I wonder if my battery will get worst. Im imagining if I go another road trip will I lose another mile? The tech said my battery its normal but I just think it's bogus what they say.