Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x blocking in Model 3 at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t do a lot of supercharging so this may be common but today I saw something new to me. I was queuing up in my M3 at Maidstone (due to all 6 stalls being used) and an X pulled up, pondered, then parallel parked across two stalls, blocking in two cars and then shared a stall with an M3. Bloke in M3 got out, friendly words exchanged then X unplugged. M3 then left and I took his place as first in the queue.

Instinct suggests X was being a douche but was that fair game and would it even work?Presumably would have slowed the 3’s charge but as all other stalls were X or S, then technically this was a free cable albeit not a free stall as 3 was parked in it.

I’m curious as I was initially annoyed but did wonder if viable should all 3s not be blocking in S and X and nicking the spare CCS Combo plugs? I doubt it as it seems an a hole move to me but as I say, I’m curious.

This happened when I visited the Exeter sc on a busy Friday over the summer. All stalls full and an s pulled up next to an m3 on the end stall. There is a space that you can share the other side. S driver politely asked if he could share and everyone was happy. Must of slowed things though, but plenty to do down there if not in a rush.

My question is whether it slows it down to an extent where you are better off just waiting your turn.

I didn’t know a stall would supply 2 cars at the same time. You learn something every day.

I don't believe it can, the first car to connect will do the handshake and initiate the charge, so if a car plugs into the other cable it will either stop the first car charging and do another handshake and charge initiation, or it may throw a fault, or it may just do nothing.

South Mimms definitely. The chargers are between two rows of carpark spaces. One side for Teslas only, other side public car park. I’ve often seen Teslas parked in the public spaces and plugged into the chargers.

As you drive into the carpark the public spaces are the first ones you see and can easily be confused for the Tesla spaces the other side

you can see here at 2:46

It's the same at Stoke South, you can easily use both sides of the Superchargers

upload_2020-10-10_9-3-2.png

But blocking in another car?

Anyway, heading OT, the video from @NorfolkMustard I spotted incorrect behaviour of a traffic light.

On passing, the green traffic light on the left was incorrectly detected as turning red. The other two (one of which is out of view on this composite but adjacent to the one on the left) remained green.

upload_2020-10-10_9-33-43.png