Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Brakes when Reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of our Model X last Sunday....love it! Question...has anyone experienced loud brake noise (squeaking) when reversing? The DS thought it may have been residue from the detailing but its been 4 days and has not subsided.

Thanks

Well it is lasting...I took delivery of my X on the 27th and mine STILL squeal. Has gotten worse since it rained here in CA over the weekend. Have a service appt on Wed. to have it looked at (along with other issues).

Got my car on September 29th. Have exactly the same issue. Brakes squeal so much when I'm backing out of garage - it is embarrassing. Seems to be getting worse.

Did you get any resolution on this?

I called the service dept and they put a tech on the phone as I backed out and they said bring it in. They found a metal shaving between the rotor and the pad. Since it has been fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
I have the same problem on my model X. Day after rain, backing out of the garage creates very lough squeal noise and it is embarrassing to have neighbors witnessing this loud noise and them asking what's up with that noise. I initially thought, this would be a one time issue but it reappears every time it rains. I will have to contact SC.

I've been having this issue with my Model X for the past few months. They replaced both front rotors and the noise seemed to alleviate for a week. But after few weeks now, it is back to the original levels. In my case, I hear the noise even braking moving forward.
Anyone else experiencing this recently and any resolutions?

Does it go away after driving a few miles and having pressed the brake a couple of times? It is normal for any car, where rust (from rain etc.) built up on the disc to make a low toned, rubbing, squaking sound. Mine does that too. Get rid of the rust-layer by braking (not re-genning only) and viola, gone. Any steel brake-disk can do this.

Reactions: jboy210
Does it go away after driving a few miles and having pressed the brake a couple of times? It is normal for any car, where rust (from rain etc.) built up on the disc to make a low toned, rubbing, squaking sound. Mine does that too. Get rid of the rust-layer by braking (not re-genning only) and viola, gone. Any steel brake-disk can do this.

Exactly. Disk brake rotors rust. Usually this is not a big deal because you use the brakes so often. But with regen I very seldom press hard on my brake pedal and then only for a second or two, versus the 5 of -6 seconds of breaking I did at every highway off-ramp in an ICE car.