Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have the CHAdeMO adapter? Looks to be a separate and rather pricey addition, and not sure if it's worth the cost if Tesla will be putting in Super Chargers in more places.

I'd say it all depends where you're traveling. Interior BC, CHAdeMO isn't worth it. Then there are places that probably won't get superchargers anytime soon that do have CHAdeMO - Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island, the 101 highway down the Washington/Oregon/California coast. In fact the density of chargers in WA/OR seems a lot better than superchargers.

Buying the adapter probably seems like a waste of money when you get it, but it's invaluable if/when you really need it.

• Informative
Reactions: yz778
Do you have the CHAdeMO adapter? Looks to be a separate and rather pricey addition, and not sure if it's worth the cost if Tesla will be putting in Super Chargers in more places.
Having the CHAdeMO adapter on-board can keep you moving on a long trip with far shorter charging times.

Or, it allows you to explore 'off the SC-network' again, with fairly convenient charging times, and your horizon of reachability will continue to expand as the SC-network grows to overtake your favorite CHAdeMO spots (*).

Of course, the physical connector on CHAdeMO is an abominable beast: Bulky beyond its purpose. Confounding, muscular, cryptic sequence of mechanical motions to hook the adapter up, multiple swipes of ChargePoint/GreenLots RFID cards. Although the stations themselves have been wonky in the past... they are improving. Most of them are nameplate power in the 50kW range. But apparently some were only tested with vehicles which pull at most ~20kW. So, after 10-20 minutes of draw from a Tesla, they would overheat.

As others have indicated: PlugShare is a fine tool for planning/navigating the CHAdeMO space.

There are a few stations available heading into the [southern] interior on BC Hwy 3: Manning Park, Princeton, Keremeos. My drive to the service centre ( Rossland -> Vancouver ) used to involve Revelstoke, Kamloops, Hope but is now 'direct' on Hwy 3: Princeton, Hope. This is enabled by availability of CHAdeMO in Princeton and Keremeos.

Or, you could slow your travel down a bit, and use the in-car nav (or PlugShare) to follow the trail of 'level 2' chargers, specifically, the 'destination chargers'. Stop and immerse yourself in some local 'culture' :)

(*) Jun-Aug 2015, I traveled 'all over' the US, mostly on the SC-network. I used CHAdeMO 10 times (**). If I were to re-run that route in June of 2016, the SC-network would have obsoleted 5 of those uses.

(**) Santa Fe NM, Albuquerque NM, Greenfield MA, Winooski VT(2), Portland ME, Auburn ME, Burlington MA, Shawnee KS, Loveland CO

To the Model X owners here, have you had issues with the Falcon Wing Doors?

I had it bump into a post while I was parking under a deck. I happened to be filming it to see how it would handle the low roof, but instead it hit the side. Totally wasn't expecting that.

Video link here:
Instagram video by @yz778 • Jun 13, 2016 at 2:11am UTC
Sorry to see this. I hope your X wasn't damaged in any way. I have seen similar things in the forums. There seem to be only a couple of sensors on the FWDs so if the object between the sensors or if the vehicle is staggered to the adjacent vehicle, the sensors don't sense the obstruction.

Sorry to see this. I hope your X wasn't damaged in any way. I have seen similar things in the forums. There seem to be only a couple of sensors on the FWDs so if the object between the sensors or if the vehicle is staggered to the adjacent vehicle, the sensors don't sense the obstruction.

Thanks @Gymee! The bottom of the door is plastic, so no paint damage. However, that could have been a person or some other object that the sensors don't pick up. I have a feeling there are dead spots that don't register, and the doors will keep going until it physically hits something. In this case, there was a little mark left on the post and that was it. I've mentioned in previous posts, the doors have hit me a couple times on it's way down o_O

It's cool technology, but not fool proof. Hope the Model 3's don't have anything like this, as I don't think the larger customer population will be nearly as forgiving as MS and MX owners. I'll be sharing this experience with my Tesla service centre the next time I go there.

That video will go a long way! Since we are now able to easily record things, I'm going to have the Blackvue dashcam professionally installed in my X.

A couple of months ago, my mom was driving my wife's SUV. Some one backed into her while she was parked at a red light while he was trying to get around a stalled vehicle. Without any proof, there was no way to prove who was at fault. I ended up paying for the repairs to my wife's vehicle but had there been a dashcam, I would have been able to stuff that in his pipe to smoke it!!! For damages to a $150k, I wouldn't want to be put in that position again!

To the Model X owners here, have you had issues with the Falcon Wing Doors?

I had it bump into a post while I was parking under a deck. I happened to be filming it to see how it would handle the low roof, but instead it hit the side. Totally wasn't expecting that.Video link here:
Instagram video by @yz778 • Jun 13, 2016 at 2:11am UTC
posted by @FoxXxy on TMC
modelx_falwd_dmg1-jpg.172373

• Informative
Reactions: yz778
That video will go a long way! Since we are now able to easily record things, I'm going to have the Blackvue dashcam professionally installed in my X.

A couple of months ago, my mom was driving my wife's SUV. Some one backed into her while she was parked at a red light while he was trying to get around a stalled vehicle. Without any proof, there was no way to prove who was at fault. I ended up paying for the repairs to my wife's vehicle but had there been a dashcam, I would have been able to stuff that in his pipe to smoke it!!! For damages to a $150k, I wouldn't want to be put in that position again!

Will check out the Blackvue, I have not really looked into dashcams before but what you say makes sense. Any recommendations on where to get this installed, who can run the cabling etc.?

Will check out the Blackvue, I have not really looked into dashcams before but what you say makes sense. Any recommendations on where to get this installed, who can run the cabling etc.?

There was another discussion about that question here on TMC. The challenge is getting power to the middle of the windshield. Apparently there is power available, but at least one person took apart the lead to the rear view mirror.

Gymee, do you have a link to that model dashcam you have been mentioning? What sort of price range are you finding for it?

Thanks,

Jon

More random musings from Model X ownership
  • On a few occasions now, I'm getting thumbs up from passing drivers and a few have rolled down their windows to ask questions. Neat! I've never had this much attention :)

• The driver assist features are cool. I tried the speed sensitive cruise control and auto-steer today. The auto-steer is trippy, you do have to keep your hand on the wheel but it's so weird with the wheel moving all by itself. Writing this post as I'm watching the Space X EUTELSAT/ABS launch webcast. Go technology, go every Elon Musk company!

• Service has been great so far, every email I've sent has been replied to promptly and with useful information or at least with a commitment to follow up. Really liking this customer service experience. Hope Tesla is able to continue this as they go more mass market, it's a real differentiator.
Some more nitpicking:
  • The frunk should have grocery hooks that divide the space. I'll probably look for something aftermarket, little collapsible storage bins or something - it's a great usable space.

• Why is the frunk not motorized? Seems like an odd omission considering every other door is motorized. I have to use my hands to open/close this (the horror! :eek:).

• The centre console storage is pretty basic, the weird dividers they give you are not very good. In fact, there aren't very many compartments for such a large car. I'll probably buy some storage bins and velcro them under the seats to store random things that the kids like to bring along on trips.

• Why is the glove box so small?

• Why can't I favourite a song with Slacker Radio? It can only favourite the playlist or station.

• Cover art should be larger in the music player, there's so much space there and it's wasted.

• Icons could use some work, maybe someone artistically inclined can make a new cohesive looking set of icons and suggest to Tesla? :D Actually, it'd be great if we could apply different themes to the Touchscreen UI. I'd love a Knight Rider theme.

• Would like more Google Map options, e.g. ability to choose different routes. Anyone know if it's possible to send driving directions from my phone to the car?

• The voice synth on Google Maps is weird, strange pronunciation on some street names. Also, want some other voice options. Like KITT, from Knight Rider.

• Disappointed the car does not play a welcome prompt when I get in. It should say "Welcome" or play a little customizable tune. Like the Knight Rider intro, as soon as I open the door. :p

• The charge port door doesn't pop open by itself anymore. Will check this out at some point.

• The driver side window. When it's wet, it makes a weird sound coming up and down. Adding to the list of things to check out when I go to the service centre.

• I think my car knows what I weight. It should connect to my phone and record my weight for those fitness trackers.

• Why doesn't the driver door handle have an option for fingerprint recognition? Ok I'm having too much fun with this, I should stop now and get on with my day. :p
Absolutely love driving this car. Any tips or tricks from other MS/MX owners?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Gymee
There was another discussion about that question here on TMC. The challenge is getting power to the middle of the windshield. Apparently there is power available, but at least one person took apart the lead to the rear view mirror.

Gymee, do you have a link to that model dashcam you have been mentioning? What sort of price range are you finding for it?

Thanks,

Jon
Sorry Jon. Just saw this but this link was already posted:
Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

Reactions: Jon