Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Cargo Measurements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the measurements. It is unfortunate that with these seats it maxes out at 50" depth. That's just not enough to sleep in the car comfortably with the back seats down. Hmmmmm.

You can gain 10" by sliding the seats forward. Possibly more. It occurred to me that the touch screen probably provides more control over seat positioning than the buttons on the seats themselves. For a single person, sleeping in the car with a thermorest mattress slung diagonally would be possible.

You can gain 10" by sliding the seats forward. Possibly more. It occurred to me that the touch screen probably provides more control over seat positioning than the buttons on the seats themselves. For a single person, sleeping in the car with a thermorest mattress slung diagonally would be possible.

Except that the floor isn't flat when the third row folds down. You'll need to have some boxes or something to jam into the floor cavity to level it as well. I know some people made plywood bases for their MSs, I think you'd need more support than even that. Best bet may be to lay in the floor cavity behind the seats, but sideways. Or sleep in the frunk.

True, but even 60" is only 5 feet. That additional 12" that the S has is the difference between sleeping two and sleeping none.

True, but even 60" is only 5 feet. That additional 12" that the S has is the difference between sleeping two and sleeping none.
Why not place a mattress against the tilted 2nd row seat backs? The sleepers would sleep reclined on an un-adjustable mattress, that's one way to gain extra length. Pleasant dreams.

21209386884_84e1bf6e02_m.jpg
heritageDoubleSmall.jpg

On second thought, unless that gap can be filled, it might be better to recline in the existing front seats and keep the 2nd row fully back to allow reclining.

The photos of what the Model X drivers and passengers dream up deserve a special thread. I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Last edited:
If the front console and the third row seats were removable, you could already transport quite a few, including very long things in the Model X with six-seat configuration.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, if I comprehended everything correctly.

Could I get a confirmation? You're saying that (with the 3rd row seats folded down), the cargo area is 45" wide, 50-60" deep (hatch to seat backs), but only 18" tall?
When I pick mine up next week, I'll be taking 4 black rims. Each of the 4 rims is in a box 23x23x13". I'm driving 75 miles and will leave the vehicle (& rims) with a nearby custom shop while they do some exterior work, so I'd like to be able to take the rims with me from the service center (pick up) to the custom shop. I figured I could stack the boxes but if it's only 18" high, it looks like I won't be able to fit them all.
I guess I'll have to coat the rims myself and have them changed locally. Drat.

Could someone comment how tall the 2nd row seats are off the floor to the surface you sit on? The wife made me cancel my reservation with one compliant that the model S works well for our sons activity bag which sits next to him on the seat and he can get in and out of while strapped in. With the 6 seat there's that gap there so by default his bag can't rest there however seeing the first post mention there's 15 inches between seats and seeing someone else state they put a milk crate there it may work as a solution?

Before I approach her again on the X order I want to get all my ducks in a row for her complaints. In theory there's always the 5 or 7 seat option but personally I'm not super fond of those as they have their own trade offs so I need to sell her on the 6 seat :)

I am ordering a cargo net for my Model X. Unfortunately, my wife has the Tesla out for the day. Does anyone know the measurements for the 4 rings to connect the cargo net to? This will tell me what size net to order and have it taunt. Thanks.