Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Coefficient of Drag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't disagree, although EPA highway range is still a composite of a bunch of factors. Do you have the highway range? :)

In three weeks we should know a whole bunch more - possibly including knowing that one or more of the assumptions I stated at the top is incorrect. Until then, I think it's the best I can do with the data we (think we) have.
Walter

I believe 6100lb was for GVWR not GVW. Don't see the extra seats and aluminum being 1200lbs. Platform, battery, motor/gear assemblies, etc are the same. Probably more like ~5300lbs for XP90D. Of course that makes 6100lb GVWR a little low. Maybe 6100 is wrong or for an X70D.

Drag increases quadratically with speed? I thought it increased by a power of 2, such that double the speed increases the drag by 4 times.

Or maybe I am confusing with speed vs energy required?

Aerodynamic drag force is proportional to dynamic pressure - one half air density times velocity squared, yes. Power required to overcome drag adds another velocity term, so the power is a function of velocity cubed.

In this case, though, we're looking mostly at energy per unit distance, which drops the third velocity back out - the drag effect on range is a function of velocity squared.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe 6100lb was for GVWR not GVW. Don't see the extra seats and aluminum being 1200lbs. Platform, battery, motor/gear assemblies, etc are the same. Probably more like ~5300lbs for XP90D. Of course that makes 6100lb GVWR a little low. Maybe 6100 is wrong or for an X70D.

Well, the data is sparse.

The quote from the service center employee seemed to be saying it was the curb weight.

Also, a little fiddling with online 0-60 calculators seems to suggest the 6100 pounds to the 4800 pounds of a Model S matches up pretty well with the 2.8/3.2 and 3.2/3.8 second 0-60 times we were given (though the calculator thought you needed ~830 hp in the 3.2/3.8 case and ~1000 hp in the 2.8/3.2 case for an AWD automatic car - obviously far more power than Tesla is using, likely tied to the difference between direct instant electric torque and ICE peak horsepower.)

I'm sure the X70 will be lighter than that with the 14 module battery pack and smaller rear motor (assuming they *make* an X70, of course - I leave off the D because Tesla and Elon have consistently said the Xs will all be Dual Motor.)

@ ScepticMatt
I'm not a mathematician but I used to love maths when I was student. I didn't remember the formula, but I though "exponentially", although not accurate, would be the best for a wider comprehension for common people. But thanks for the enlightening.