Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X cold weather stalling. anyone having this issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is happen this issue during temperature 10 and below.
When the X is park during cold temperature of 10 or below for about 3-4 hours or more this would happen.

Get in the car, press the brake, car turns on, put car in R and reverse down my drive way, line up, Put into D press accelerator and nothing happens, car doesn't move and freely rolling in either direction for up to 5 second.

I have have experience this last winter and took the issue to Tesla services but they couldn't find anything. This year it has gone from 1-2 second now up to 5 second of "nothing"

Services is coming up in March, they are going to actively look into it now. curious if anyone else having this issue.
weather warm backup, no issue.

Hi everyone, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is happen this issue during temperature 10 and below.
When the X is park during cold temperature of 10 or below for about 3-4 hours or more this would happen.

Get in the car, press the brake, car turns on, put car in R and reverse down my drive way, line up, Put into D press accelerator and nothing happens, car doesn't move and freely rolling in either direction for up to 5 second.

I have have experience this last winter and took the issue to Tesla services but they couldn't find anything. This year it has gone from 1-2 second now up to 5 second of "nothing"

Services is coming up in March, they are going to actively look into it now. curious if anyone else having this issue.
weather warm backup, no issue.

Have not seen anything like that in cold weather. What displays on your energy graph when trying to accelerate? Does preheating the car alleviate the problem? Next time take a video of the issue.

Yes, I have experienced this kind of delay (not 5 seconds). I assume it's just cold viscous transmission fluid that provides more resistance for the gear change than when warm. I've had the same thing in both standard and automatic transmissions in the past. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Used to have this same issue with previous ICE cars. In very cold weather the manual transmissions would get very stiff and hard to shift from gear to gear. Same with automatic transmissions. Would take a moment to go from drive to reverse and back again when it was bitter cold.

Yes, I have experienced this kind of delay (not 5 seconds). I assume it's just cold viscous transmission fluid that provides more resistance for the gear change than when warm. I've had the same thing in both standard and automatic transmissions in the past. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Only thing is that there is no gear change. The motor runs in the opposite direction, but it's a fixed gear ratio w/o any sort of reverse.

It still maybe some drag from the cold fluid, but not sure.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've had this issue too. Only when it's pretty cold. It's a little inconsistent.

I was not sure if there was a "Gear" for when you change direction? I thought it just reverses the motor.
If it does actually have a gear, I'd be less concerned.

One other thing I noticed. On the Model 3 you could reverse direction while moving in the wrong direction.
I don't think the Model X likes that so much. If you come to an absolute complete stop before changing direction, I think it tends to not happen.

I'm still experimenting ;) Hasn't been so cold lately so it hasn't happened for a while.

Hmmm, I tried googling for this issue and this popped up

Reverse->Hold->Drive - Still in reverse? | Tesla

I don't use "Hold" mode, I use the original "Creep" (now called Role I think). But when the Hold mode was first released folks complained that the car didn't always change direction correctly. I'm not sure if those reports had Hold mode enabled.

I wonder if this issue is related to that bug. Even though it only happens when cold (under 25F for me, but only lasts about 1-2 seconds). Only been one weekend below 10F this winter.

Last edited: