Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by around 3:30pm and the new smart cushion was installed. I think the orange sign saying lane closed from last year was still there though.

Also, witnessed one sedan and one pickup crossing the split area, both at speed >65mph and pretty close to the cushion. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it happens hundreds of times everyday. Not implying this is what happened here, but the site can certainly use some improvements.

Wow! I cannot understand why there is not a white (at a minimum, yellow would be better) cross hatch/ diagonal/chevron "don't drive here" paint job for the lane to nowhere.
We have markings like that picture where you are not supposed to change lanes.

Yes chevrons like these would really help. Europe does this much better than the states.
upload_2018-3-26_17-24-42.png

Last edited:
I haven't read anywhere that the injuries sustained by the driver were burn injuries. What I understood is that, a good samaritan (or two) stopped and pulled the guy out of the car BEFORE it caught fire. They couldn't have really pulled him out if car was already on fire...

Hope Tesla figures out the cause of the fire and implements upgrades to elevate future fires. This was probably a good lesson for other EV makes. So sorry for the driver!

I would have to do some thinking but I'm curious how a Volvo XC90 would hold up in a similar situation. I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I didn't hear of other injuries the driver had besides burns. If there were no burns/burning then I wonder if the driver could have been capable to open the rear door to evacuation a child from an accident. On that note, I understand the falcon wings door are extremely heavy to lift in the case of no power which is a concern.

Not defending the X just because I have one but taking all factors into consideration - I'll take the overall safety package of the X for my family with everyday scenarios than planning for very specific scenarios where an X is not as ideal as another car.

Drives me nuts how people complain about the danger of not having an indoor latch in the 3. I'm like:

1 - Any car with the child safety locks engaged creates the same scenario.
2 - Nobody is constantly harping the i3 with its suicide doors as a mobile coffin. Yet somehow the Model 3 is!

Hope Tesla figures out the cause of the fire and implements upgrades to elevate future fires. This was probably a good lesson for other EV makes. So sorry for the driver!
The cause of the fire is obvious. The battery case was smashed, leading to the cells or other parts of the module shorting together and causing the cells to overheat. This process does not happen fast like a gasoline fire, it takes some time to develop. The problem is that it's hard to put out because it's encased and the electrolyte is inherently flammable.

Can you pick a different car you would have preferred to be in under those same conditions or any other crash?
Considering the crash structure absorbs a constant amount of energy, everything else equal, in this particular crash type, a lighter car would have fared better. i.e. I'd choose the smallest car that aces the EuroNCAP / IIHS overlap and IIHS small overlap tests.

Which reminds me that the only Tesla tested on IIHS is the Model S, which did NOT achieve good scores in the small overlap test, even after two sets of "fixes" from Tesla.

Hope Tesla figures out the cause of the fire and implements upgrades
The cause of the fire is obvious. The battery case was smashed.

Any container that holds enough energy to propel a vehicle ~300 miles is going to get rather hot if you shatter it and let all that energy out in a short period of time. As miimura mentions at least with a battery it starts much more slowly and controlled than with a gas tank. I'd love to imagine a gas tank that performs a fraction as safely with 20% torn off. I'm impressed with how the battery performed, especially as some of the coverage said that 1/2 the battery remained unaffected.

I would have to do some thinking but I'm curious how a Volvo XC90 would hold up in a similar situation. I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I didn't hear of other injuries the driver had besides burns. If there were no burns/burning then I wonder if the driver could have been capable to open the rear door to evacuation a child from an accident. On that note, I understand the falcon wings door are extremely heavy to lift in the case of no power which is a concern.

Specifically in this situation it appears that the windows were smashed out due to the impact, so I wonder if it would have been possible to extract a child through the window. In general it's probably a good idea to have one of those hammer/cutting tools somewhere in the car in the event you need to get someone out through a window (or potentially cut through a seatbelt/child seat restraint).

Tesla already added super high strength shields to protect the pack from road hazards that could pierce the pack from underneath.
But this horrific accident looks like a worse case scenario - a jagged edged, narrow, fixed object made out of ultra high strength metal being run into at freeway speeds.
Personally, I don't think they can really plan to handle events like this safely. I am more concerned that highway departments leave objects of this type in the middle of the freeway.

It seems like the barrier acted like a fork that grabbed the front of the X, and then broke off the rest of it and flipped it over.
I don't know how feasible it would be for Tesla to make the front bumper strong enough to withstand such an impact.
The barrier was supposed to be in a state to absorb (most of) the impact energy, and not use the steering rack, and gearbox as the impact absorbers.

The idea behind the older highway barrier was soft materials (plastic barrels with sand).
The idea behind the new barrier is nearly indestructible solid metal... ( But with non-functioning mechanism intended to absorb energy. )
Personally I would rather run into something soft and pliable.

All the literature I ready about that smart cushion talks about how it can absorb impacts if you run into it when it is retracted and ready.
I didn't see any info on what they expect if you run into it already impacted/crushed.
To me, it looks like it has transformed into something designed to tear open the front of a car and break it apart.

2015-oct1.png

2015-nov1.png

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the barrels filled with sand. The barrels are often placed on the entrances to over passes and after the first week of people crashing into them the sand transfers to the roadway. Sand sucks on two wheels.

I like Chevrons, blinking signs, reflectors or machines that grab smart phones out of your hands while your driving and smashes them into a million pieces.

Apple also has a facilities in Sunnyvale where going straight on 101 is the thing to do. So I don't think we can conclude anything about his destination w/o more information.

Oh, yeah. I forgot Darin Adler's org was over there in one of the LinkedIn buildings. And there are a few other Apple groups that have bled into parts of Sunnyvale. I just automatically assumed Cupertino. :oops:

A few folks have mentioned that he worked for Apple. I haven't seen a source for that though. Did I miss that?

Nothing official. I heard it from someone at work who heard it from someone else.

Not entirely correct. The “idea behind the structure” was indeed to absorb energy by design, and based on the photos of he accident, had been completely utilized in what appears to be a textbook fashion.

Note that the structure has a flat surface on the front to spread the load and not cut through a vehicle. Here is a crash test on another type of impact attenuator with a similar surface

P.S. I pass by that particular exit ~weekly, and I’ve never recently seen it in a bad condition as shown in your 2015 photos.

Unfortunately the X is a heavy vehicle, and the energy absorbed by the structure wasn’t enough to save the driver. Very sad indeed :(

Tesla already added super high strength shields to protect the pack from road hazards that could pierce the pack from underneath.
But this horrific accident looks like a worse case scenario - a jagged edged, narrow, fixed object made out of ultra high strength metal being run into at freeway speeds.
Personally, I don't think they can really plan to handle events like this safely. I am more concerned that highway departments leave objects of this type in the middle of the freeway.

It seems like the barrier acted like a fork that grabbed the front of the X, and then broke off the rest of it and flipped it over.
I don't know how feasible it would be for Tesla to make the front bumper strong enough to withstand such an impact.
The barrier was supposed to be in a state to absorb (most of) the impact energy, and not use the steering rack, and gearbox as the impact absorbers.

The idea behind the older highway barrier was soft materials (plastic barrels with sand).
The idea behind the new barrier is nearly indestructible solid metal... ( But with non-functioning mechanism intended to absorb energy. )
Personally I would rather run into something soft and pliable.

All the literature I ready about that smart cushion talks about how it can absorb impacts if you run into it when it is retracted and ready.
I didn't see any info on what they expect if you run into it already impacted/crushed.
To me, it looks like it has transformed into something designed to tear open the front of a car and break it apart.

View attachment 289505

View attachment 289506

Last edited:
Not entirely correct. The “idea behind the structure” was indeed to absorb energy by design, and based on the photos of he accident, had been completely utilized in what appears to be a textbook fashion.

[…]

Unfortunately the X is a heavy vehicle, and the energy absorbed by the structure wasn’t enough to save the driver. Very sad indeed :(

perhaps you missed the revelation back about a dozen pages earlier in this thread (?), but another TMC member posted dashcam video recorded 1.5 hours earlier that same morning showing that impact barrier was ALREADY in a compressed/damaged state (from some prior impact) before the accident with the Model X occurred. So, sadly the barrier was in no state to absorb the energy it was designed to do, whether MX-weight vehicle or not.