Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG... Tesla's update is monumentally concerning... Absolutely monumentally concerning. That should NOT HAPPEN. I immediately retract any previous statements and my confidence in AP is now considerably shaken. How in the hell can that happen? That simply can't happen and if it can, then it's time for Tesla to disable AP in ALL CARS until they can guarantee it won't happen again. I repeat, this Tesla "fanboy" has seen enough. This is disturbing... I love AP, I use it all the time and life would suck without it but this is unconscionable....

Flame away if you will...

I so monumentally disappointed in Tesla and Elon Musk right now, completely and utterly disgusted.

Jeff

EDIT: To be clear because I know I'm going to get piled on for my emotional reaction to the Tesla update, I don't expect any support for my stance and I fully understand where each and every rational and reasonable counterargument would come from. I really do get it.

Last edited:
He didn't touch the wheel for 6 seconds prior to the crash & could see the barrier for 5 of those seconds
Nope.

You cannot say anything about "touch the wheel" because there's no way to detect it! The "hands on wheel" detection there is now depends on you actually trying to steer (or otherwise try to put some torque on the steering wheel). As for the "could see the barrier" - again, there was sun in the eyes, coming from under bridge and such - so we cannot really assume that either.

It doesn't say how long they think the car was in the gore area. Did auto-steer get into that non-lane and stay there the whole time? ..."five seconds and 150 meters of unobstructed view of the concrete divider"... does that imply that it was in the gore area that whole time? I just rewatched one of those dashcam videos of the area and 5 seconds seems about right for the whole gore area at highway speeds.

Also it doesn't say anything about lane change requests.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm thinking the driver may have told the car, with a double detent on the lane change stalk, to enter the gore (is that what it is called?) area. Tesla will have this data however if that was the case. Other than that I don't see how the car was on autopilot in a non-lane **IF** it was in autopilot for at least a 1/2 mile prior to impact.

OMG... Tesla's update is monumentally concerning...

Calm down, Autopilot is at the moment a driver's aid. It has multiple limitations, including not stopping for stationary objects and misdetecting lanes. It is what it is. It is not a self-driving car and Tesla made this very clear. Once I get my Model 3, I plan to have a discussion with any driver that will use my car and explain the limitations to them.

I do not understand how you have 2K comments in this forum and still react that way, you should know the limits of AP by now.

It's pretty well-known that stationary objects may not be detected. That's not a surprise.

And that smart cushion is a small thing to notice. In the "day before" dash-cam picture that Tesla previously posted you can see that someone tried to mark it with a cone (on the right) but you can see that it had been knocked over. Orange traffic cones are not a reliable way to mark hazards for weeks while we wait for them to repair it.
cone-down.png

And Tesla's picture looks like an afternoon image with sun lighting up the barrier. The crash happened in the morning with the sun behind and barrier in the shadow.

shadow1.png

Also, sometimes that barrier has been left with no warning markers at all...
2015-nov-b.png

( Note, somebody else died there in November 2015 )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ddkilzer and zmarty
Use ap everyday at 1 or 2, no problem unless I get sleepy and fall asleep

So question, it says TACC but not Auto-Steer. So basically just cruise control? And it would or wouldn't keep you in a lane? I would never drive at highway speed with it set min. distance. For those of you who use AP regularly looking forward to hear your comments.

Gosh I wonder what he was doing in those last 6 seconds that he didn't take any action. I'm assuming that there's no way other than eyewitness accounts to know what lane he was driving in. Maybe there was some medical issue going on or maybe as simple as some distraction in the car. Since the CHP said he was driving highway speed, and considering the extent of the crash, it must have been 65mph or more. Maybe we will get that info as well from Tesla. Definitely be looking for the other investigative reports when they come out and hopefully ABC7s indepth look, I hope, at accident reports for that area. I read the words and comprehend them but still hard to understand how he could not have been paying attention at that critical juncture in a road he traveled each day to work. Tough news to digest.

You don't get hands on wheel warnings in TACC only. Tesla stated he had been warned prior to the accident.
They did not specify the timeline. it's entirely possible the warnings were long ago and autosteer was enabled and disabled in the interim multiple times. The only clear thing we know is at the time of impact autopilot (I assume autosteer) was enabled.

...what bothers me is how AP got into the gore lane and subsequently hit the diver.

Autopilot might mistaken the gore point that could fit a car as a lane--a lane enclosed by solid white lines on each side--picture from @NeverFollow displayed earlier:

Autopilot is not perfected.

Incrementally, autopilot will get better.

In the mean time, please expect the unexpected!

ca-mountainview-hwy-merge-2-jpg.290244

Reactions: zmarty and LMNOP
They did not specify the timeline. it's entirely possible the warnings were long ago and autosteer was enabled and disabled in the interim multiple times. The only clear thing we know is at the time of impact autopilot (I assume autosteer) was enabled.

Regarding the warnings. I actually looked thru the manual a bit more (eating dinner but trying to follow discussion) and saw that you are always supposed to have your hands on the wheel when Autosteer is active. After how many seconds of not having your hands on it will you get a warning?

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
...Second AP fatality (in China) described here...

I think this case is still in court to determine whether Autopilot was involved. There's a dash cam but it did not record any Autopilot bells to indicate whether it was turn on or off.

Tesla wanted to access the vehicle log but the family wanted a third party to do that.

And that's where we are: awaiting for accessing the car log.

I would not be surprised if Autopilot was involved because again, it is beta and imperfect, but until the car log is retrieved, it's just speculation.

After how many seconds of not having your hands on it will you get a warning?
It depends on a lot of things, like how confident AP is, curvature of road, ... could be over a minute, I think.

That said, autopilot does not know if you are holding the wheel or not! Try holding the wheel but not resist any movements of the wheel in autosteer mode and you'll get the nag about placing your hands on the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty
"In the US, there is one automotive fatality every 86 million miles across all vehicles from all manufacturers. For Tesla, there is one fatality, including known pedestrian fatalities, every 320 million miles in vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware. If you are driving a Tesla equipped with Autopilot hardware, you are 3.7 times less likely to be involved in a fatal accident."

It is with certainty AP equipped Tesla will crash and lead to fatalities. When driver pays attention, AP provides extra level of safety. Data shows indeed most drivers pay attention, but unfortunately there are times both AP and driver fail to prevent an accident.