Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiya, new to the forum, hopefully soon to be new to driving a Tesla, Model X been on order for a while now. I can find lots of useful info on Model 3 lead times and some of it is relevant to mine but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of ways of finding out how long my Model X will take to turn up - the Tesla account is about as much use as a fortune teller and no one I can find to speak to at Tesla seem to have any prior warning of what is happening with their supply chain, or have been instructed not to share it

Hiya, new to the forum, hopefully soon to be new to driving a Tesla, Model X been on order for a while now. I can find lots of useful info on Model 3 lead times and some of it is relevant to mine but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of ways of finding out how long my Model X will take to turn up - the Tesla account is about as much use as a fortune teller and no one I can find to speak to at Tesla seem to have any prior warning of what is happening with their supply chain, or have been instructed not to share it

Welcome to the forum. When did you place your order? Has your hidden VIN appeared yet?

Welcome to the forum. When did you place your order? Has your hidden VIN appeared yet?
I ordered it back in November, asking them for a delivery in April this year when the tax changes took effect for company cars, they did try to give me one within 3 weeks of ordering, which was way too soon. Since then the tax position has changed slightly in so much as the 0% BIK still being applied to cars registered before April the 6th so I let Tesla know that I was happy to have it anytime from 1st March (reckon that was around January) - they said that was fine but I have not heard anything since.

How do I check for a hidden VIN?

I ordered it back in November, asking them for a delivery in April this year when the tax changes took effect for company cars, they did try to give me one within 3 weeks of ordering, which was way too soon. Since then the tax position has changed slightly in so much as the 0% BIK still being applied to cars registered before April the 6th so I let Tesla know that I was happy to have it anytime from 1st March (reckon that was around January) - they said that was fine but I have not heard anything since.

How do I check for a hidden VIN?

I would advise you to call Tesla now, or even better if you are near a showroom call in, and enquire as to the progress of your order.
If you are likely to receive it before the end of March they will tell you.
Any answer other than that, should be a cause for concern.
Ask whether a VIN has been allocated?, has it left the US?, is it in Tilburg?
The delivery route for Model X is totally different from the Model 3.

I would advise you to call Tesla now, or even better if you are near a showroom call in, and enquire as to the progress of your order.
If you are likely to receive it before the end of March they will tell you.
Any answer other than that, should be a cause for concern.
Ask whether a VIN has been allocated?, has it left the US?, is it in Tilburg?
There is no hidden vin on my account, I have been trying to call them but the phone rings un-answered, I have sporadic email contact with one of the guys at Bristol but when I went there a while back (it is a couple of hours away from me) they had no more info. I went to a Tesla experience event a couple of weekends ago and the guys there said there is no way to tell what is happening (worrying in itself). It is like they can sell as many cars as they can make so don't worry about customer service or buying experience :(

If you have a number that gets answered better than the Bristol showroom then yes please :D

I can’t offer much other than I would be fairly confident you’ll be getting a call to arrange delivery in time for Q1 end. Albeit 3 years ago your timeline is likely to be similar to mine, car produced Dec and en route from early Jan. pick up in March.

I was told yesterday that they build batches with almost all possible design house combinations. As they are shipped if one matches your spec you are vin matched. If not matched to anyone it drops into inventory. He stated that the software waits for so long and if one isn’t matched it is then put in production. So you could be lucky and order a car which matches one in transit and get it within weeks or be less lucky and it could be five months. That’s the latest I have regarding my dec order for a model X performance. Still no match for me so not any longer expecting March

I was told yesterday that they build batches with almost all possible design house combinations. As they are shipped if one matches your spec you are vin matched. If not matched to anyone it drops into inventory. He stated that the software waits for so long and if one isn’t matched it is then put in production. So you could be lucky and order a car which matches one in transit and get it within weeks or be less lucky and it could be five months. That’s the latest I have regarding my dec order for a model X performance. Still no match for me so not any longer expecting March
Well based on the number of Model X's they have in inventory I guess they are selling all they can make...which would explain their approach. So from what you were told, if it hasn't been matched then it is at least the transit time away from being with you, I've seen some details pof the Model 3's route to market but based on Mr Miserable's earlier comment:
I have no idea how long they take to get here, or how long we'll (both) be waiting

The Model S/X Delivery Journey

Your new Model S/X is loaded part-built into a 40ft container with 2 others and transported by road to the Oakland Joint Intermodel Terminal which is operated by the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway Co (BNSF) which is located 30 miles north of the Fremont factory.

The container then endures an epic 9 day rail journey to the BNSF Pearland terminal in Houston Texas. The container then moves by road on the short 1 hour trip to the port of Barbours Cut where it waits for the next scheduled ship to Rotterdam.

The shipping company Maersk runs a regular service linking various key US ports (Houston, Norfolk etc) with European ports (Antwerp, Rotterdam, etc). It is then about 15 days before your container arrives in Rotterdam. From there the container is shipped to the Tesla facility in Tilburg, Holland where it is unloaded, reassembled and then finally shipped to the UK.

Model S/X Shipments

MAERSK OHIO departed Houston 17 Feb Arrived Rotterdam 2 Mar
SAFMARINE MAFARDI Departed Houston 26 Feb ETA Rotterdam 9 Mar
MAERSK MONTANA Departed Houston 4 Mar Arr Rotterdam 16 Mar
MAERSK IOWA Departed Houston 8 Mar Arr Rotterdam 23 Mar - (may not have Tesla cargo)

Reactions: Roy W.
Model S/X Shipments

MAERSK OHIO departed Houston 17 Feb Arrived Rotterdam 2 Mar
SAFMARINE MAFARDI Departed Houston 26 Feb ETA Rotterdam 9 Mar
MAERSK MONTANA Departed Houston 4 Mar Arr Rotterdam 16 Mar
MAERSK IOWA Departed Houston 8 Mar Arr Rotterdam 23 Mar - (may not have Tesla cargo)
Thanks Mr M , he did say two more ships expected March but if on them ought to be matched by now

The Model S/X Delivery Journey

Your new Model S/X is loaded part-built into a 40ft container with 2 others and transported by road to the Oakland Joint Intermodel Terminal which is operated by the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway Co (BNSF) which is located 30 miles north of the Fremont factory.

The container then endures an epic 9 day rail journey to the BNSF Pearland terminal in Houston Texas. The container then moves by road on the short 1 hour trip to the port of Barbours Cut where it waits for the next scheduled ship to Rotterdam.

The shipping company Maersk runs a regular service linking various key US ports (Houston, Norfolk etc) with European ports (Antwerp, Rotterdam, etc). It is then about 15 days before your container arrives in Rotterdam. From there the container is shipped to the Tesla facility in Tilburg, Holland where it is unloaded, reassembled and then finally shipped to the UK.

So how come you have been far more helpful than any member of staff or systems from the company that I just spent the best part of £90k with for a new car that everyone tells me will turn up with a list of faults that will take them a while to fix - I guess that either shows that the driving experience will be worth going thru all of that or we are all so hell bent on driving electric that these things are less important - from what I have been able to ascertain thru conversations and test drives of various competitors, even an unfinished Tesla is better than the next best thing. Thank you for your helpful and informative answer

Reactions: Roy W. and Harv3y
Thanks Mr M , he did say two more ships expected March but if on them ought to be matched by now

i haven't listed the following because I think it unlikely that Tesla would use them because the subsequent delivery wouldn't happen in Q1.

MAERSK IDAHO Dep Houston 16 Mar Arr Rotterdam 30 Mar
MAERSK OHIO Dep Houiston 22 Mar Arr Rotterdam 6 Apr

i haven't listed the following because I think it unlikely that Tesla would use them because the subsequent delivery wouldn't happen in Q1.

MAERSK IDAHO Dep Houston 16 Mar Arr Rotterdam 30 Mar
MAERSK OHIO Dep Houiston 22 Mar Arr Rotterdam 6 Apr
Oddly two people at Tesla have told me that the pause in deliveries only applies to M3s and that S and X will continue - someone has said otherwise mind so no idea what’s going on - comms in absolutely dire

Oddly two people at Tesla have told me that the pause in deliveries only applies to M3s and that S and X will continue - someone has said otherwise mind so no idea what’s going on - comms in absolutely dire
I agree the pause in deliveries may not affect Model S/X deliveries but the requirement for the cars to be delivered in the same quarter as they were built will remain. I don't expect the next shipment from Houston to be much before 14 April. (I don't have the April shipping schedule yet to identify the first ship) which will mean no UK delivery until May.

So how come you have been far more helpful than any member of staff or systems from the company that I just spent the best part of £90k with for a new car that everyone tells me will turn up with a list of faults that will take them a while to fix - I guess that either shows that the driving experience will be worth going thru all of that or we are all so hell bent on driving electric that these things are less important - from what I have been able to ascertain thru conversations and test drives of various competitors, even an unfinished Tesla is better than the next best thing. Thank you for your helpful and informative answer

If it helps put your mind at restp my Raven MX (ordered mid August 2019, delivered end October) was spotless and faultless on collection. To date I have not had a single problem with it - the car just gets better and better!