Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you can close them when they are fully open, either from inside the vehicle or from outside. It’s some conciliation, although I really miss walking up to the doors, having the doors fully open and being able to just sit down. It seems Tesla is silent on the matter as to if they will put the feature back in. As discussed before, they do still have the sensors in the falcon wing doors, which I thought was the only thing they were relying on previously to fully open the door.
Yep, that's fair.

My Tesla advisor said me when I asked about little angle of opening the doors, that at the moment it is not available, but in future updates they will fix it. I believe him, was rather good boy, sooner o later Tesla vision will get all the benefits of HW4 and new cameras with Phoenix radar and the doors magically 🪄 would open smart wide way 🤞

Granted I don’t see this as a “my car is useless now” more of a delay I am curious if anyone has tried the light show feature? Do the doors open fully during this test? Meaning if they work there they will likely work with a software update in the future. Capability is still there just a software caution.

This is bugging me more than I thought it would. We went from a 2016 X to this new one, and picked it up from the PPF place on Friday. Incredibly annoying how we need to pull hard on the door to get it open (and yes I wait till it's "done" opening.) This is by far my biggest annoyance with the car, even more so than the turn signals in roundabouts.
This is just one reason that I'm going from a 2016 X to a 2023 Rivian R1S. Losing the stalks is another. I honestly would prefer my current P90D, even with its lower range, slower supercharging, and Autopilot 1.0 with no dashcam, over a new Model X. But with my battery/drivetrain and extended warranties ending early next year, I'm wary of potential repair expense as the car gets older.

This is just one reason that I'm going from a 2016 X to a 2023 Rivian R1S. Losing the stalks is another. I honestly would prefer my current P90D, even with its lower range, slower supercharging, and Autopilot 1.0 with no dashcam, over a new Model X. But with my battery/drivetrain and extended warranties ending early next year, I'm wary of potential repair expense as the car gets older.

That's exactly what I did. Went from my lemony 2023 Model X to an R1S. Sitting in it now using the hotspot on a two week camping trip. You know what is amazing? The range is accurate. I no longer have to use 2/3rds of the rated miles like I did in every Tesla I owned. It makes my brain so much happier.

That's exactly what I did. Went from my lemony 2023 Model X to an R1S. Sitting in it now using the hotspot on a two week camping trip. You know what is amazing? The range is accurate. I no longer have to use 2/3rds of the rated miles like I did in every Tesla I owned. It makes my brain so much happier.

Hope you got PPF on that Rivian!

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Curious if there’s been an update yet to resolve this? From X, looks like HW4 is lagging behind by 6 months, so does this mean we should expect by February to have this feature reenabled? I’m wondering if it’s even possible to match the capability of the USS in this regard

Curious if there’s been an update yet to resolve this? From X, looks like HW4 is lagging behind by 6 months, so does this mean we should expect by February to have this feature reenabled? I’m wondering if it’s even possible to match the capability of the USS in this regard

Who knows. It was being delivered with HW3 as well and still is broken on those vehicles too.

Rule of thumb with Tesla (well really for anything you buy, but especially Tesla) is to purchase based on your satisfaction of current functioning features, not on the expectation of future promised features/functionality from updates because they may likely never come.

It’s been two years and vision still doesn’t work as well as radar. It’s been one year and vision park assist still doesn’t work as well as USS, with summon and auto park still non functional. It’s been 5 years and fully autonomous FSD is still not “solved”. It’s been 5+ years and autowipers are still terrible.

So expect your doors to never be able to do anything more than they do now. If they do, then treat it as a nice surprise. But don’t expect it to happen.

Rule of thumb with Tesla (well really for anything you buy, but especially Tesla) is to purchase based on your satisfaction of current functioning features, not on the expectation of future promised features/functionality from updates because they may likely never come.

It’s been two years and vision still doesn’t work as well as radar. It’s been one year and vision park assist still doesn’t work as well as USS, with summon and auto park still non functional. It’s been 5 years and fully autonomous FSD is still not “solved”. It’s been 5+ years and autowipers are still terrible.

So expect your doors to never be able to do anything more than they do now. If they do, then treat it as a nice surprise. But don’t expect it to happen.

You nailed it. And having owned 4 Teslas over a decade, the windshield wipers only worked well on the first one before they added the sensing capability. The 3 Teslas after that were simply horrible at sensing rain properly. If that was fixable with software, it would have been fixed 5+ years ago.

Reactions: croman and StevenSD

I asked a Tesla advisor - which you always take with a grain of salt - but was told the way it is now is permanent. Said they had too many complaints of the doors hitting other cars. Take that as you wish. But I agree with @E90alex - buy a Tesla with what it has, not with what's the promise.

Reactions: rpo and E90alex
I asked a Tesla advisor - which you always take with a grain of salt - but was told the way it is now is permanent. Said they had too many complaints of the doors hitting other cars. Take that as you wish. But I agree with @E90alex - buy a Tesla with what it has, not with what's the promise.
Yep. Was told the same. They also had complaints when that massive door opened and any wind was present it would also create an issue.

Yep. Was told the same. They also had complaints when that massive door opened and any wind was present it would also create an issue.
If they are so concerned about this, why haven’t they disabled the full door opening on older models? I had a 2019 Model X that I traded in March for a 2023 Model X. The 2019 model
had no problems opening the doors fully.

The lack of USS sensors on the newer models is also an excuse. The newer Model Xs still have the sensors in the falcon wing doors. Of course these sensors are just as inadequate as the older models’, especially when opening the front doors: the sensors in the falcon wing doors don’t see obstacles by the front doors.

I think they are hoping to use the cameras along with the falcon wing sensors, to fully open the doors in the future. Of course, that future may never come, although they are making some strides using the cameras to display obstacles around the car.

Somewhat unrelated, in my neighborhood, where we have bushes and other plants close to the edge of the road, the FSD beta software slows down when encountering them and displays them as obstacles. If they used that logic for deciding if they could fully open the doors, that may be a start.

Reactions: spectrum and rpo
I own a 2018 Model X and the auto doors work amazing. I just test drove and am awaiting delivery of a 2023 X and the front doors suck! I really hope this is fixed, because if not, I’d much rather open the doors of an R1S myself.

Reactions: snorlax
I own a 2018 Model X and the auto doors work amazing. I just test drove and am awaiting delivery of a 2023 X and the front doors suck! I really hope this is fixed, because if not, I’d much rather open the doors of an R1S myself.
Yah test drove one the other day fake wood grain dash looks corny dunno why the hell they thought that was a good idea reminded me of my launch day model 3 and what's the point of auto doors if they don't work pointless my 2016 and 2018 work just perfect how does technology get worse 7 years later sigh

Reactions: rpo and Mike7564