Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I was expected to pick up Model X on Saturday and when I went there, there were few issues. So, the delivery was pushed out. One of the issues was that the front doors only open partially. In the demo vehicle I had, they opened fully. Also, you can see it in the video at 1:32 -
. Now, the Tesla delivery person at the service center tells me that the new models without USS do not open fully and the only open partially. With continued updates to Tesla Vision, the door opening setting may become adjustable but at this time it only opens partially by the design.

This is a bummer and might even be illegal 'bait and switch' - as I was shown a different functionality at the demo than the one that they are delivering me.

Does anyone with Model X without USS have their doors opening fully? Thanks.

Thanks,
Osho

Yes, I noticed this with my newly picked up Model X. It’s funny, but the falcon wing door sensors are there, because it displays obstacles next to the doors. I thought that it was enough with just the falcon wing sensors to fully open the doors. Of course, there were are no sensors in the driver and passenger doors previously and non now, so why cant it work now?

I just received notice that a VON number has been assigned to my new Model X. Tesla also sent me an "notice" that parking assistance, summon, auto park, and Full Self-Driving will be inactive. It says in the future my vehicle will receive an over the air update. It does not give any idea of the date these will be available. The "notice" requires me to "accept and proceed with delivery" Is anyone aware of any new Model X's with Hardware 4 receiving updates that allow for FSD beta?

My new MX (as of last Friday) has the same issue with the front doors. My 2018 2.5 opens the doors flawlessly, but the lack of USS functionality on the 4 cars is utter BS. What is really amazing is how little support/service reps understand about the v.4 cars, giving bad advice/comments right and left.

Reactions: StevenSD
My Nov 2022 delivered X rarely opens the doors more than 3", but when it does, it opens at high speed directly into any objects within the door's reach.

Maybe they disabled the front doors from opening because the doors are damaging themselves and other vehicles parked alongside due to Tesla's incompetence of removing the USS without regard to the side effects if they did not have a replacement system to see objects next to the doors. As the driver, knowing when it will open all the way into something is hard to know until it is happening, and the door moves so fast that I rarely manage to stop it in time.

And that's just one reason the car is being lemoned and I won't drive it anymore. But Tesla disabling the doors from opening all the way because of software issues related to removing the USS makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: CleanDemon
Yes, I noticed this with my newly picked up Model X. It’s funny, but the falcon wing door sensors are there, because it displays obstacles next to the doors. I thought that it was enough with just the falcon wing sensors to fully open the doors. Of course, there were are no sensors in the driver and passenger doors previously and non now, so why cant it work now?
I believe the driver doors used the front lateral USS to estimate how far they should open.

Reactions: Technokrat
My Nov 2022 delivered X rarely opens the doors more than 3", but when it does, it opens at high speed directly into any objects within the door's reach.

Maybe they disabled the front doors from opening because the doors are damaging themselves and other vehicles parked alongside due to Tesla's incompetence of removing the USS without regard to the side effects if they did not have a replacement system to see objects next to the doors. As the driver, knowing when it will open all the way into something is hard to know until it is happening, and the door moves so fast that I rarely manage to stop it in time.

And that's just one reason the car is being lemoned and I won't drive it anymore. But Tesla disabling the doors from opening all the way because of software issues related to removing the USS makes perfect sense to me.

Remember, Tesla removed USS "for safety".

Since they're making cars so terrible that you will not (or cannot) drive them, that is the safest. An object at rest tends to stay at rest and is safe.

This is bugging me more than I thought it would. We went from a 2016 X to this new one, and picked it up from the PPF place on Friday. Incredibly annoying how we need to pull hard on the door to get it open (and yes I wait till it's "done" opening.) This is by far my biggest annoyance with the car, even more so than the turn signals in roundabouts.

Remember, Tesla removed USS "for safety".

Since they're making cars so terrible that you will not (or cannot) drive them, that is the safest. An object at rest tends to stay at rest and is safe.
As someone who enjoys driving my model 3 LR and is currently waiting for my MXP… Your post is utter none sense. Yes I agree that removing the USS was dumb on Teslas part but to suggest these cars are in anyway “BAD” is a joke of a claim.

As someone who enjoys driving my model 3 LR and is currently waiting for my MXP… Your post is utter none sense. Yes I agree that removing the USS was dumb on Teslas part but to suggest these cars are in anyway “BAD” is a joke of a claim.

My message was for rpo. His Tesla model x is literally inoperable due to all the error messages and safety warnings. So it is very safe since it does not move. And Tesla told him it was safe.

I think he’ll get the joke. But you’re right, hopefully you (unlike me) will be able to drive your model x safely.

Reactions: CleanDemon and rpo
This functionality (fully opening doors) has been removed. The door only opens a few inches now, that’s how it’s supposed to work. Nothing wrong with your car.
Honestly, why bother having a motorized door then? It just causes an additional two steps to open the door every time. Hit button, then wait for the door to stop moving and wait an additional two seconds (so the motor doesn't fight you), then push/pull the door (against the motor) the rest of the way. Ridiculous.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Honestly, why bother having a motorized door then? It just causes an additional two steps to open the door every time. Hit button, then wait for the door to stop moving and wait an additional two seconds (so the motor doesn't fight you), then push/pull the door (against the motor) the rest of the way. Ridiculous.
At least you can close them when they are fully open, either from inside the vehicle or from outside. It’s some conciliation, although I really miss walking up to the doors, having the doors fully open and being able to just sit down. It seems Tesla is silent on the matter as to if they will put the feature back in. As discussed before, they do still have the sensors in the falcon wing doors, which I thought was the only thing they were relying on previously to fully open the door.

At least you can close them when they are fully open, either from inside the vehicle or from outside. It’s some conciliation, although I really miss walking up to the doors, having the doors fully open and being able to just sit down. It seems Tesla is silent on the matter as to if they will put the feature back in. As discussed before, they do still have the sensors in the falcon wing doors, which I thought was the only thing they were relying on previously to fully open the door.
I expect said feature will be coming back as tesla vision improves. .... just like the parking assistant stuff coming back this past week. Neural networks improve quickly.