Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Elon Musk says new SUV model due in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking to Tesla folks in Chicago last week, they felt AWD will never make its way to Model S and will be a feature offered on Model X instead. Looks like the Model X is in development indeed... but then - if it's sharing the same platform how come they can offer AWD on X but not S?

I recently found this statement: The Model S is designed to have an adaptable platform architecture and common electric powertrain in order to allow us to efficiently create other electric vehicles, which may include, as examples, a crossover/sport utility vehicle, van or a cabriolet. By developing our future vehicles from this common platform, we believe we can reduce their development time and, as a result, reduce the required additional capital investment.

Follow the link for the full text from Tesla Motors

I recently found this statement: The Model S is designed to have an adaptable platform architecture and common electric powertrain in order to allow us to efficiently create other electric vehicles, which may include, as examples, a crossover/sport utility vehicle, van or a cabriolet. By developing our future vehicles from this common platform, we believe we can reduce their development time and, as a result, reduce the required additional capital investment.

Follow the link for the full text from Tesla Motors

The above article said:
The following contains proprietary information that Tesla Motors, Inc. requests not be released to persons outside the Government, except for purposes of review and evaluation.

Should that link be removed, or is it now public info?

Just wondering... aren't their naming conventions Prototype -> Alpha -> Beta -> RC#? If so, wouldn't an "alpha prototype" be... I dunno, maybe redundant?

In the article it says "alpha model", though their quote from Musk says:

“The plan is to have an unveiling of the Model X prototype in the mid-December time frame,” Musk said. “So far it’s looking good, I don’t think anything will cause an issue.”

Leading me to believe we're just going to see the prototype (like what's on tour right now for the Model S). I'd be REALLY surprised if they were far enough along to actually have Alphas.