Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X endless problems, 60 days to fix latest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I was dumb enough to be an early adopter. Got a 2016 Model X. Was in the shop for a month when first purchased. Continued problems since. In the last six months, motor blew out and was replaced, front door hinge failed (again) and was replaced, storage compartment sliding door failed and had to be replaced, visor broke and was replaced. This is after many, many prior issues. Latest thing is that there is a firmware bug that doesn't recognize that my software update is the latest version. Been in the shop multiple times to try to fix. Ultimately they said it is a bug that needs to be addressed in a future software update, but all the updates for at least two months are already scheduled. In the meantime, I have an error message (Software Update Required - Contact Service Center) and beep that pops up every ten seconds. Makes it almost unbearable to drive. But Tesla's response is I'm SOL.

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation and discouraged many people from buying a Tesla because of my horrible ownership experience. Car is great when it works, which is almost never.

So, I was dumb enough to be an early adopter. Got a 2016 Model X. Was in the shop for a month when first purchased. Continued problems since. In the last six months, motor blew out and was replaced, front door hinge failed (again) and was replaced, storage compartment sliding door failed and had to be replaced, visor broke and was replaced. This is after many, many prior issues. Latest thing is that there is a firmware bug that doesn't recognize that my software update is the latest version. Been in the shop multiple times to try to fix. Ultimately they said it is a bug that needs to be addressed in a future software update, but all the updates for at least two months are already scheduled. In the meantime, I have an error message (Software Update Required - Contact Service Center) and beep that pops up every ten seconds. Makes it almost unbearable to drive. But Tesla's response is I'm SOL.

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation and discouraged many people from buying a Tesla because of my horrible ownership experience. Car is great when it works, which is almost never.

So you have been having problems since 2016 and you are now posting about it 3 years later? Yeah, I don't think it is a surprise that an early VIN Model X has quality issues. I just had a 2016 Model X P90D loaner and it had so many issues - windshield ghosting, FWD would not close sometimes, front motor rattle, etc...

No I posted extensively about my problems when I first received the car.

I only see one post in 2016 detailing a few problems. My issue is that you are discouraging people from buying a Tesla based on your atypical vehicle experience. My car (and I would guess most +2017 MXs) has none of the issues that you describe.

Have you tried Tesla to buy the car back? Doesn't seem worth their time to fix the car anymore.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I only see one post in 2016 detailing a few problems. My issue is that you are discouraging people from buying a Tesla based on your atypical vehicle experience. My car (and I would guess most +2017 MXs) has none of the issues that you describe.

Have you tried Tesla to buy the car back? Doesn't seem worth their time to fix the car anymore.

If I had that experience I would be discouraging people too. I can’t count the number of people I talked out of a Chevy Volt because of the endless shop time.

I am a early Model X owner 16xx. There were some small issues in the first year but none for the last two years. I love my car. Bought a early Model 3 as well and has been pretty much problem free . Hoping to get another Model 3 for Hawaii but was told Tesla will no longer do trade in's on the Big Island as of a month ago.

Whether it is typical or not is up to people to assess based on their own research, including posts like this. Would you prefer more frequent updates on problems or no negative information whatsoever? I have been willing to tolerate problems as long as Tesla addressed them immediately which they have done more or less up until now. But when I'm told that I'm just out of luck for a couple months at least, my only recourse is to let others know that this is how I've been treated.

And the attitude that it serves me right for being a fan and sitting on a waiting list for a year to get a really really poorly built car is essentially the same as Tesla's attitude and there's something wrong with that. They've continued to do that with the Model 3 as far as I can tell. Plenty of continued problems reported on the X as well.

Glad your car is ok though.

• Love
Reactions: bayx and P85_DA
I am sorry to hear about your car's extremely problematic behavior, and the lack of appropriate response to this latest problem. Is it possible for you to talk with other service location techs to find one that will take an interest in the situation and attempt to solve it? I know that there are differences in service location cultures, and finding a better fit for you might be worthwhile. I hope you can get this solved.

Whether it is typical or not is up to people to assess based on their own research, including posts like this. Would you prefer more frequent updates on problems or no negative information whatsoever? I have been willing to tolerate problems as long as Tesla addressed them immediately which they have done more or less up until now. But when I'm told that I'm just out of luck for a couple months at least, my only recourse is to let others know that this is how I've been treated.

And the attitude that it serves me right for being a fan and sitting on a waiting list for a year to get a really really poorly built car is essentially the same as Tesla's attitude and there's something wrong with that. They've continued to do that with the Model 3 as far as I can tell. Plenty of continued problems reported on the X as well.

Glad your car is ok though.

In re-reading my first post on this thread, I was insensitive to your issues. Apologies. Yes, you have valid concerns and Tesla should make you whole.

The part that caused me to post again was that you were discouraging other people from buying Tesla. I have driven a handful of 2016 Model X loaner cars and they are definitely not representative of current/recent Model X cars (in terms of build quality). Almost all of them have the ghosting windshield problem, motor issues, door latch issues and FWD problems.

As you state, people have to do their own research, but generally forums posts are only complaints. I am merely providing my experience which is counter to yours and potentially more relevant since we are beyond the first model year.