Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Energy Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally was able to make a "normal" trip. Tires broken in, weather mild, elevation changes minor and urban freeway speeds 60 to 70 mph on first leg and slower return, in heavy traffic at 45 to 65 mph. Here are the charts.

image.jpeg

The trip B total miles are almost all higher speed (75 to 85 mph) and low temp miles. The trip A was today's 90 mile normal urban round trip. Mostly freeway but not high speeds.
image.jpeg

Energy chart with rated miles line displayed. This segment was rush hour freeway with lower speeds (40 to 50 mph).
image.jpeg

I drive pretty normal and dont worry much about trying to get better Wh/mi numbers. I just drive and don't use the brakes very much. No effort to maximize efficiency.

Last edited:
Thanks Roamer.. I've been wondering about that since most people have been posting 400+. I assumed it was mostly due to new tires, playing with the performance, etc and yours confirms that the X can get quite close to the S in Wh/mi.

I finally was able to make a "normal" trip. Tires broken in, weather mild, elevation changes minor and urban freeway speeds 60 to 70 mph on first leg and slower return, in heavy traffic at 45 to 65 mph. Here are the charts.

View attachment 108802
The trip B total miles are almost all higher speed (75 to 85 mph) and low temp miles. The trip A was today's 90 mile normal urban round trip. Mostly freeway but not high speeds.
View attachment 108800
Energy chart with rated miles line displayed. This segment was rush hour freeway with lower speeds (40 to 50 mph).
View attachment 108801

I drive pretty normal and dont worry much about trying to get better Wh/mi numbers. I just drive and don't use the brakes very much. No effort to maximize efficiency.
What Size tires on your model x

Mx75d : about 900 miles on the car in Connecticut (winter months) averaging 400-425wh/m ... much higher than my MS : which was about 320-330 with 34k miles lifetime.

Short trips in winter weather always give ugly results, as you're probably aware. Here's my five month old X75D:

IMG_0435.JPG

And even that 335 Wh/mile number is driven up by far too many miles at 75 in freezing weather on my 4k+ of road trips since late October and a lot of winter commutes.

(I've recently started turning range mode on for the commute when it isn't precipitating - my ten miles aren't enough to get the battery warm anyway, so why waste power trying? The result is a 10-15% drop in energy usage, as you see here - 46 degrees, maybe a third of the drive at 75+.)

Short trips in winter weather always give ugly results, as you're probably aware. Here's my five month old X75D:

View attachment 212107

And even that 335 Wh/mile number is driven up by far too many miles at 75 in freezing weather on my 4k+ of road trips since late October and a lot of winter commutes.

(I've recently started turning range mode on for the commute when it isn't precipitating - my ten miles aren't enough to get the battery warm anyway, so why waste power trying? The result is a 10-15% drop in energy usage, as you see here - 46 degrees, maybe a third of the drive at 75+.)

I'm not too worried, and you are right ... almost all my trips are under 20mi. But it's not an apples to apples comparison with the MS which has seen 2 summers while MX is a newborn with only winter experience. I'm sure the average will drop once the weather warms up!
Cheers

I have a 90d with 22's, took delivery in December and have about 4K miles on it. All freeway miles and very very conservative, I fond it almost impossible to get under ~375wh/mi. I really want to get the 20's just so I can get over 200 miles on a single charge. My 2014 p85 with 19's avg lifetime was 286 wh/mi. I was definitely expecting better than 380 avg with the x, I think it's wheel totally wheel related as most people with the 20's seems to be much closer to rated range than I am.

Hi, we took our x on a 3k round trip and the temputure was around 5-20 and I have calculated the average loss in energy was around 20-25% lost. We are still in the winter and after our road trip. All my route now I can predict what my end miles will be within 95% estimated.

We haven't had it in the summer time yet, so I don't know about the lost in that area.

In Maine I'm average 420 w/h

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon