Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, error message "Plan your next charge"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting daily messages from other Tesla owners here in Brazil, and this is widespread to everyone with the most recent 2023 updates!!!

This is very anoying! Has anyone found a solution yet?

Are there any tricks to create a charger in the car map so it thinks it has a charger around?

1679522028711.png

My 2022 MXP has a window constantly popping up in the middle of the display screen with the following text.

"Plan your next charge"

"You are almost too far from known charging locations."

Does anyone know what is going on? And/or how to turn it off? I keep canceling but it pops ups again. I also have closed the window with the "x"...no joy. I'm to the point there is no pleasure driving the vehicle with the window like that constantly and randomly popping up.
The car thinks you are getting close to a location where you cannot reach any SC before running out of charge. However, I suspect that the message is bogus, and might be either a software bug or the car getting its GPS location messed up (though you would probably have noticed this).

Reactions: gillfoto
I even got this on my 2014 AP1 Model S, when I was driving towards a hotel out in the hinterlands. The hotel did have a type 2 charger, allbeit not a Tesla charger. I just clicked cancel when it came up and it seemed to be okay. But having to do that every time, because you live in an area without enough superchargers, would be very annoying! And I don't see Ketchikan Alaska ever getting a supercharger. What do they have, 70 mi of road all told?

I had a similar problem happen with my model S, it stopped showing me any superchargers in my local area but instead no matter where I was physically would only show me superchargers in South Miami. GPS was otherwise fine, could manually navigate if I found a charger on the map or knew where it was. Service center said the only solution was to do a hard reset of everything. Lose all my settings. Because they were able to back up my settings and reset the car and everything worked but when they reloaded the profile it broke again. This was some sort of a bug that it picked up in the navigation profile.

This was happening back in January, and I do not believe it had anything to do with a software update but instead is because Tesla is using a separate database bolted onto the Google database.

I disabled trip planner, also did a reboot (which only resets the screen), turned off the vehicle and let it set for five minutes before turning it back on and nada. My wife told me this evening that our 2021 Model Y is now doing the same after it's recent OTA update so, now I'm convinced it's software/update related. But again, no help from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: gillfoto
again, the problem is NOT in the home\work loc
The problem is bugged Trip Planner that hidden\disappeared from navigation menu and is on by default i believe and cant be turned off

I did understand that, I had just hoped that Tesla would assume that you could charge at those locations. I guess that isn't quite fair, although it should know that we do that! This is definitely a software bug. I'm assuming someone has turned it in as a bug report? It might be that we could mention it at a few service centers, perhaps they can push it up the chain. Here's hoping for a software update that fixes it!

Reactions: KauaiGlenn
No destination selected. We have approximately 36 miles of paved road and my vehicle is kept charged between 50% to 80%.

Strange and annoying at the same time. I just had a visitor riding with me and the silly window kept popping up as we were driving into town and back. It's getting to be beyond ridicuous.
Snap, same here - up in Juneau. I have same problem with my 'MY23', however my wife has never had it on her 'MY20'

Attachments

• IMG_5936.jpeg
    IMG_5936.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
So adding a home location and a work location didn't work? I'm assuming you charge it at least one of those locations.
Correct. We charge at home with our home location reflected accordingly. This started with our 2022 Model X Plaid but our 2021 Model Y was not affected until a few days ago. Now, following an over the air update our Model Y is doing the exact same thing with the window repeatedly and randomly popping up. At first I was concerned that I was the only Model X affected but after our Model Y has started to display the same problem I'm convinced it's a software update bug that will need to be corrected by yet another over the air update...the .25 cent question is when are you going to fix this ELON? IT'S ANNOYING.
IMG_5641.jpeg

Last edited:
Correct. We charge at home with our home location reflected accordingly. This started with our 2022 Model X Plaid but our 2021 Model Y was not affected until a few days ago. Now, following an over the air update our Model Y is doing the exact same thing with the window repeatedly and randomly popping up. At first I was concerned that I was the only Model X affected but after our Model Y has started to display the same problem I'm convinced it's a software update bug that will need to be corrected by yet another over the air update...the .25 cent question is when are you going to fix this ELON? IT'S ANNOYING.
View attachment 921327
Well I chatted online with Tesla Support today and gave them the info, so hopefully it won't be too long before we get it patched.

tesla 1 47.PNGtesla 2 950.PNGtesla 3 951.PNG

Same suddenly happened to my M3LR.
The popup first appeared the morning I updated firmware to 2023.6.11.
I tried raising it with Tesla support, but their reply is completely useless (screenshot attached).
I wonder if anyone had any luck getting rid of this pesky popup?

Attachments

• IMG_8734.jpg
    IMG_8734.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: KauaiGlenn
I had that message when driving into an area in north-central Nebraska where there are no chargers except a few campgrounds for over 100 miles in any direction. Fortunately, I have a house with a charger out in the middle of nowhere. The message disappeared after I charged at home.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj