Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X fails in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

has anybody experienced the following problems during winter weather? Today it was around 19 degrees Fahrenheit and Model X failed completely:

1) Driver and passenger front doors do not close anymore
Both doors open but then the window is frozen and does not go down enough to clear the space to close again.

IMG_0474.jpg

2) Falcon wing doors do not open at all or just a little bit
They detect an obstacle as soon as a little bit of snow is on the doors
IMG_0478.jpg

3) Trunk does not open fully
Just a little bit of snow on the windshield of the trunk seems to be too much and the trunk just opens a small bit
IMG_0481.jpg

4) Windshield defroster does not do a good job
Even after 7 minutes of waiting and driving the windshield is not defrosted on the red defroster setting (double-tap)

Is this just my Model X or do other owners have the same issues?

Happy holidays,
Hanno

Did you try clearing the snow off the Falcon Wings and hatchback and then see how they operate?

Maybe preheating the cabin for 15 minutes might warm up the front window mechanism enough to get the windows to operate better.

I am guessing you are in the Sierra Nevadas somewhere today, maybe Tahoe?

Hi ecarfan,

thanks for your reply!

Yes, I cleared most of the snow off the FWDs but with a small amount on them they do not work.

Also the windows did not even operate after driving to the ski resort for 15 minutes with full heat inside.

Yes, I am in Tahoe - a winter wonder land :).

My Model S windows fail that way during winter all the time (yay, a California car), as in the window won't bow down and it stays on top of the chome trim around the window when closed. I have noticed that this can usually be avoided by pushing the window towards the interior while closing from outside, this allows the window to clear the trim and the door to close. Safe to say, this needs to be done very carefully as not to force anything that might break...

Those side mirrors are another California success story in winter. Still can't believe they actually designed a small ledge that is left exposed when the mirrors are folded in. When that ledge gets a drop of something that freezes, the mirrors fail to open (and forcing them would run painter surfaces, another design fail IMO).

(Now, full disclaimer, while I actually think the mirrors are a faulty design, the window issue is something that of course can affect any frameless window design if it relies on bowing down.)

Lots of discussion on this in this thread: Model X Winter Driving Experience

I had similar issues but it depends on conditions of course. I have also had no trouble in lots of cold and snowy conditions, it is very much effected by how wet it is. In short, I was able to mostly resolve these issues by pre heating the car well in advance, at least 30 mins before getting to the car, then clearing off the roof. For the front doors, if they are still frozen after warming, be sure you have scraped any ice and snow off the window, then use a credit card or license to slip between the window and seal to break the little ice build up there and you should be good.

Your photos 2 and 3 look like there is still quite a bit of snow on the roof between the FWDs. This could be impacting the upper sensor causing the car to think you are parked under a very low ceiling. That might explain the partial opening of the FWDs and the trunk.

You can long press on the FWD icon button on the LCD to force the FWD to open. That's what I did. As for the front doors, try standing outside and push the glass into the car B-pillar frame while closing the door. Should work. I was in Tahoe and Model X worked great. H
IMG_0261.jpg
cover1.jpg
ere are some photos.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Yes with the radar and electric motors you will have to be more proactive with this vehicle but I think it's a fair trade off for how convenient it is the rest of the time. Hopefully they are watching these threads and make improvements (maybe some can even be made thru software) however that being said these issues are part of the reason I'm really looking forward to my model 3 doors being old fashioned mechanical and manually operated handles and doors...