Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Feature Request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know if anyone from Tesla is reading these forums, but I think it s a good idea to list down features we would like to see in a future software update. Please add more.

Below are the features I would like to see in a future software update for Model X:
1. Use GPS to detect that car is at home and have option to not "auto-lock" car when at home.
2. Remember which key fob belongs to which driver and reprogram driver automatically.
3. When listening to music from USB. I have to reprogram which album/song to play every time I drive. The car should remember where music was last played to and restart at same place when car is turned on again.
4. Make the driver and passenger door be easier to manually move instead of needing to push/pull it so hard to make it manually close/open (Don't know if this is fixable in software).
5. Have option to freely remove charging cable (even when car is locked) if charging is complete.
6. The second row seat positions (as adjusted by bottom buttons) needs to be "remembered" and returned to when upper side buttons are used by rear seat passengers to move 2nd row seats back and forth.
7. Car wash mode: Close spoiler and side mirrors and put car in neutral.

@plaincipher - while we have seen couple of posts by Tesla execs, it does seem like they do surf the forums. However, you can always email any feature requests directly to [email protected].

As for some of your recommendations:
1. While I used to like leaving the car unlocked in the garage, it was also a concern when garage was left open by kids especially as my SO tends to leave her bag with wallet in the car. With Our Teslas auto locking that's one less thing for me to worry.
2. I actually didn't like when MB had that option. I would pick up a key and sit in the car and it would adjust seats to her settings. It's much simpler to just pick up any key from the drawer and just change the driver from the touchscreen. However, I did write to TM to engrave X or S on the fob cover so it's easier to distinguish for some of us who have both cars.
5. If the car would let the charger cable be removed when locked, then at a public charging station anyone can unplug your car. Seriously you don't want that to happen.
7. I like the idea of car wash mode. However, I would want them to let doors be open for extended duration without losing calibration. I want the spoiler up so I can clean the dirt that collects underneath and leave the side mirrors open too. Oops I just realized you meant going to a mechanical car wash:eek:..umm no I wouldn't take an expensive car to a mechanical car wash.

I'm not so sure the option to remove the cord while locked is such a bad idea - the OP specifically limited it to cases where charging had been completed, so keeping the cord in isn't helping you any, and the cord could help someone else.

Of course, it might be awkward in places where you have to be plugged in to legally occupy the space...

I would like it to be more "home" aware, including an option for not automatically locking the doors. I recall getting ready to take the kids to school, opened a FWD, and then went inside my house to get something - the car closed the FWD on me! Too smart for its own good. :)

I'm not so sure the option to remove the cord while locked is such a bad idea - the OP specifically limited it to cases where charging had been completed, so keeping the cord in isn't helping you any, and the cord could help someone else.

Of course, it might be awkward in places where you have to be plugged in to legally occupy the space...
@Saghost - Yes I understand your point. However, when you aren't charging at a supercharger like with J1772 or ChaDeMo adapter that would mean those adapters will unlock for anyone to steal them. Unless you're asking for programming based on use cases that differentiate between the type of charging device in use.

@Saghost - Yes I understand your point. However, when you aren't charging at a supercharger like with J1772 or ChaDeMo adapter that would mean those adapters will unlock for anyone to steal them. Unless you're asking for programming based on use cases that differentiate between the type of charging device in use.

Interesting point. The car can certainly identify when the CHAdeMO adapter is in use, but AFAIK it has no way to know when the j1772 adapter is on.

I'd also forgotten that the j1772 doesn't prevent the cord from being unplugged, so the most likely public scenario is already addressed (though now nothing prevents removal while you are still charging...)

Maybe this is something for geo fencing - if you enable the option and are at home or at a destination charger it unlocks when the charge finishes, otherwise it won't?

I would like to see the Nav software incorporate elevation changes in estimates of range. We crossed two smaller passes (12,000' of total climb and descent) yesterday on a 200 km (130 mile) stretch (85% charge at start) and the range dropped like a rock until we slowed down well below the speed limit so we could make it home. The nav should also give you estimates based on driving at the speed limit or your choice of average mph above the posted limits on the route. I would like to know if I will still make it if I prefer to drive 10-20 mph over the limit. Or perhaps even a wee bit faster even. Theoretically speaking of course.

The front of the car is hard to see (disclaimer - I just got mine yesterday) and the front ultrasonic sensor for walls or obstructions is hard to keep an eye on at the same time as visual checking out the windshield that I am not going to swipe the side of my garage entrance when I come in at an angle. Backing out of the garage is tough as the car is wide and I have the side mirrors folded down. I would pay to have 360 cameras added down the road.

I like to bike and feel better with my bike sitting inside the SUV rather than on a hitch rack at times. Especially when parked for extended periods where I cannot see the car. My MTB is worth over 13K CDN$ and I love it dearly. If they introduced folding second row seats, I would switch in a heartbeat. I get Elon's desire to make second row seats first class, but I bought this car for my selfish use and more cargo space trumps the comfort of those setting behind me. This is probably the only thing I will miss on my outgoing SQ5.

I like to bike and feel better with my bike sitting inside the SUV.
For some reason I read this as "feel better riding my bike sitting inside the SUV"..lol..must be the afternoon heat getting to me :p

But otherwise I completely agree with you about parking and taking out of garage as I have literally 4in and just really rely on the sensor screaming at me if I am too close.

Yes, Tesla does read the forums for owner feedback.

One of my enhancement requests is to add additional "favorites" to the NAV system. Currently, you get "home", "work", and a max of 11 "favorite" places. I have many more. On my Mercedes, I was able to store them.

The code already has a scrollbar for a very large number of "recent" places, so it's a trivial code delta to provide more "favorites" accessible via scrollbar when you save more than 11. I'd like "home", "work", and at least up to 62 additional "favorites", listed alphabetically, since that's 2^6. If they use a linked list data structure, then the "favorites" list can be arbitrarily long.

I would also add:
1. opening/closing passenger front door from the key fob - maybe by: press and hold the right falcon door key? or some other combination on key fob :)
2. assigning fob to profile could be optional under profiles so if you want a fob to change driver it could be done but like @xkwizit said he doesn't then just easy thing to not assing fob to any profile. That way everyone would be happy :)
3. I know it is added already auto close all doors with one press on fob... but it could also close all windows :) lock them up - as an option toggle in some settings :)
4. a few memory options for front passenger seat - passenger profile

Last edited:
Reactions: F123456
If the car changes driver profile based on key fob, what if both key fobs are around the car at the same time?

I don't know if the car can see where on the inside the fobs are, but it certainly knows where they are around the car, so it could prioritize the one that enters from the driver's side. If it gets it wrong, you can always switch profiles manually from the center screen.

I would love an additional option on the fan speed control for the AC. It currently has a toggle/slide, and a simple +/- on either side would make it easier to go from one speed to the next, rather than jumping a few while I'm driving.

Isn't that one of the right scroll wheel setting options?
Yes it is. On the steering right scroll wheel lets you easily set the fan speed amongst several other functions.
@Epymian - I second your suggestion though I have exactly the opposite issue. I am not tall and so the headrest in my seating position doesn't come down enough. To have the headrest behind my head, I have to get the seat to be too close to the steering. I prefer to have about 14in between me and the steering so that in a crash the airbag deployment doesn't hurt me.