Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Founder Series - Facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just prompted to configure, but I can't tell if my production # came up (2316, deposit 1/2/2013) or if this is the founder's. There is nothing to indicate that it is. Was anyone else with a high reservation number just asked to configure?

I got the call and made the deposit. They said I could configure later today. As of now, I still can not.

They confirmed you can not use the referral credit for the X. Its only for the Model S, service, or accessories.

Timing: Configure...1 week to make changes...then goes into production. They don't know the production time for sure yet, but if its like the Model S, it should take 6 to 8 weeks. He says delivery should be in January. The only unique thing we can configure is the Sig red color. Cost will be $115K, but we will have to pay sales tax on the $145-$150 "sticker", depending on how its configured.

Ugh, I was hoping we would pay tax on the 115K. The standard price of the founder's edition is 115K. I was hoping it wouldn't be considered a discount off a production car since it's a different version.

so you can choose signature red in your config?

what differentiates the founders from the others? just a few badges? are there other items to spec/choose being that it is a Founders?

I doubt we'll pay tax on the full price, you never pay tax on the discounts or "FREE options" when buying cars.... and this isn't a cash back rebate either where you would pay everything up front and get a check back....

I didn't pay tax on the 23k referral discount on the Model S P90DL I just bought even though two Tesla reps said I would, they were just mis informed... this is not a prize, it's a discount, you can only be taxed on what you paid.... I guess they could 1099 you for the differnce, but I doubt it...

I got the call and made the deposit. They said I could configure later today. As of now, I still can not.

They confirmed you can not use the referral credit for the X. Its only for the Model S, service, or accessories.

Timing: Configure...1 week to make changes...then goes into production. They don't know the production time for sure yet, but if its like the Model S, it should take 6 to 8 weeks. He says delivery should be in January. The only unique thing we can configure is the Sig red color. Cost will be $115K, but we will have to pay sales tax on the $145-$150 "sticker", depending on how its configured.

Last edited:
so you can choose signature red in your config?

what differentiates the founders from the others? just a few badges? are there other items to spec/choose being that it is a Founders?

I doubt we'll pay tax on the full price, you never pay tax on the discounts or "FREE options" when buying cars.... and this isn't a cash back rebate either where you would pay everything up front and get a check back....

I didn't pay tax on the 23k referral discount on the Model S P90DL I just bought even though two Tesla reps said I would, they were just mis informed... this is not a prize, it's a discount, you can only be taxed on what you paid.... I guess they could 1099 you for the differnce, but I doubt it...

Oh, I didn't check for signature red. Excellent suggestion. I'll do that in the next few hours.

FYI my sales associate called and said they would cancel the Production order I configured last night (when the Design Studio became available), and add the Founders Edition studio shortly (didn't ask for when).

Yep, same here. My order from last night has been canceled, along with my original RN. I now have a new RN, which is showing as a signature series car, but can't configure it yet.

Well 10 minutes after I configured the Signature Edition car, they called and said they will delete it and replace it with the proper Founders Edition car. Third time is the charm ;)

I went through three configs as well. At one point I had two founder's cars on my account. Sadly, the extra one is now gone.

I also wanted the helix wheels, and was told no can do. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the hitch. Accessory vs. tow.