Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X heater stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 model X heater stopped working. I actually turned heat on with mobile app, saw on app the temp in the car go up then went back down as it was cold 45 degrees out. Defrost also no heat. Rebooted car no luck. Any suggestions?

You could try the reset that is done by changing the tires size back and forth. There's a description somewhere in here if you search. Sure hope it's not an equipment problem!

Upvote 0
Wanted to also note this thread has a video of replacing the PTC fuse

-m

Upvote 0
Yes, we seems to be coming up to a lifespan limit on the heater. 2017 X100D with 62,000 miles here. VIN number ending 54xxx.

My repair was $1,800 USD parts and labor. Took a couple of weeks to get the parts too so open your service call with them as soon as possible.

For me they replaced the battery heater ("MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER (1048941-00-F)") and the PTC heater ("LEFT HAND DRIVE GEN3 PTC HTR, EMC FIX (1060432-00-E)") and misc associated nuts and bolts.

I also just happened to need a 12v battery (unrelated to heat problem) so I had to throw in another $160 for that.... goodie! (but I replaced it myself--too easy not to)

Interesting, I would still "pre-heat" the car via the Tesla phone app.. and even though the interior of the car was still cold, it was heating the battery somehow as I would have full regen available when getting in the car. There must be multiple heaters involved with the battery pack (which makes sense I think)....

Best of luck!!!

-m

Reactions: DeejUK
Upvote 0
This happened to a lot of cars last year. After the holidays update?
Tesla know they ****ed up something, 3 or 4 updates in 5 days...
Same thing this year. Lots of people without heat in the same few days..
Our heater made some "smell". But it didn't die. It's gone with the latest update.
Proving this is probably the worst problem for people. Even if it happened to a lot of people at the same time

Upvote 0
Hi,
Our 2017 MX's front heater just stopped working. This should not be a coincidence. I'm hoping it's not the PTC heater but the fuse but I'd like to check it first before opening a service request as I would not want to pay for the whole PTC replacement if it's just the fuse. Is there any guide on how to do it? Thank you

Upvote 0
I have the same issue, the front heater stopped working last Friday. I did some research (after Tesla quoted me the repair for 1700 euro on MARCH 15TH) and I share my plan with you:
1. Check first if the fuse is broken. If broken, then replace it. Fuse should be 14x51mm 40A 700V AC/DC; Tesla part code is 1019010-00-A
The BUSSMANN / EATON replacement costs 2 eur/pcs, you may need to by a pack of 10pcs (around 20euro), the code is here FWP-40A-14Fa
Position of the FUSEBOX (part number 1049678-00-H) that contain this Heater fuse is under windshield wipers - front trunk access.

Instructions to replace the fuse are attached here: Model X 2017 ptcHeater - Google Drive
and here:

2. If no heat is flowing after fuse is replaced then you need to replace the front cabin ptc Heater GEN3 (code 1060432-00-E)

instructions here:
and here:

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
I have a 2017 Tesla X and the heater suddenly just stopped working. It's been going on a for a few weeks now. I tried rebooting and it wasn't getting any better. I'm concerned because there are a lot of other users with the same issue around the same time mine stopped working. What are the chances of having a faulty heater right after some updates?

Upvote 0