Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be me, sadly. I have a been a loyal GEICO customer for 19+ years, and have always been happy with their quotes and rates, up until two years ago, when they started to creep up. Now that I am waiting for my X, their quote for insurance was outrageous on a per monthly basis, so I will most likely end up with Liberty, or Progressive. The quote I got from Progressive was at least $100 less per month, maybe even more. A real shame to have to leave GEICO, but I refuse to pay their exorbitant quote.

Same here!!!!

BTW in California, a new online insurance company called ClearCover was by far the cheapest for me. I couldn’t take them since they only do auto and offer no umbrella. Oh well. But they’re great and promised they will authorize Tesla Body’s Shop repairs.

eSurance actually gave the best quotes but they ultimately said we don’t insure Tesla! Ugh.

Reactions: Terthen
BTW in California, a new online insurance company called ClearCover was by far the cheapest for me. I couldn’t take them since they only do auto and offer no umbrella. Oh well. But they’re great and promised they will authorize Tesla Body’s Shop repairs.

eSurance actually gave the best quotes but they ultimately said we don’t insure Tesla! Ugh.

Update: you can use ClearCover and hey umbrella through RLI. RLI turns out to be pretty affordable!!

Try dropping your coverage to 100/300, add a 1M umbrella ($200.00/yr) and raise your deductible to $1000.00-$2000.00.

Also, alway shop coverage with your VIN.
Battery size, performance level and options can effect the insurance quote, so when calling an insurance agent for a quote, include your VIN.

Shopping for insurance has been an eye opener for me. Rates vary widely and Liberty Mutual is no bargain. Don't overlook the 3 Farms- State Farm, Farmers, and Farm Bureau. None of them have anything much to do with farming, and they're happy to sell insurance to anybody. Be sure to check out Prudential if you're in the New Jersey area.

I see very little discussion of coverage limits in Tesla Forums, but I think that's a huge consideration. Hit a car full of kids, and IMHO, a $500,000 limit per accident might be inadequate. One agent offered a reasonably priced umbrella policy that added $1,000,000 additional liability to my homeowner's and auto insurance. Medical insurance for passengers injured while riding in my Tesla from one insurer is limited to $1,000, but higher coverages of $5,000, or $10,000 could be purchased for a reasonable price.

If replacing the windshield costs around $1,500, what windshield deductible amount is reasonable? That probably depends if you live in a deer infested area or not. My take on deer - I've hit 3 so far, here's what I learned. First, they hang around in groups, so when you see one anywhere, SLOW DOWN, others are nearby. Two- they're stupid. They're often in the wrong lane. Again, SLOW DOWN or stop as soon as you see one that you could somehow possibly hit. Third- If you hit one head-on and it slides along the road ahead of you, it's amazing how slippery dead deer are on ordinary dry pavement.

Ever since I read The Invisible Bankers, I've been very anti-insurance, but I ended up paying a little more for higher coverages, and I'm glad I got three quotes, looked at exactly what each covered and for how much, and asked lots of questions. With my good driving record, it's less than $1,800/ year for my new base model X75D.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ordered my MX P100D Thursday, I take delivery on Friday (woo!).

Currently shopping around for insurance, and I'm finding the same things as others: Progressive is quoting me significantly lower rates, and everyone else is at least in the same ballpark (~$1800 vs $3200-$3700 for 6mo). I know that underwriting can vary quite a bit, especially on a car like this one, but this seems suspiciously low. If I'm unhappy with their service, I can always switch elsewhere, but I don't want to get stuck with a bad repair job or having to pay significant labor overages out of pocket. Has anyone had a claim on a Tesla with Progressive that can talk about how they handled it?

• Helpful
Reactions: ebfio
Try Ameriprise Auto Insurance.

I don't think the dollar amount of the vehicles has anything to do with the cost of insurance. Think it's a perceived thought that a Tesla costs more than regular cars.

I got quotes for my

Ameriprise = $400/6 months
Gieco = 1200/12 months

Reactions: ebfio
Try Ameriprise Auto Insurance.

I don't think the dollar amount of the vehicles has anything to do with the cost of insurance. Think it's a perceived thought that a Tesla costs more than regular cars.

I got quotes for my

Ameriprise = $400/6 months
Gieco = 1200/12 months

From what I understand, it's the cost of body repairs that send the insurance rates through the roof, not the cost of the car itself. My insurance rates actually went down when I upgraded from a 2005 Outback (~$3k value) to a 2017 Outback (~$40k value).

I assume you mean Ameriprise through Costco, like MelaniainLA suggested. I'm not a Costco member, but even modest insurance savings would more than outweigh the cost. Anyone have experience with how they are with Tesla claims?

Everyone will get different quotes from different places. Allstate came in the best for me with my new 75D, at about $850 / 6mo which includes new car replacement, and 250k/500k coverage for my umbrella policy. This was pretty reasonable. Who knows when it will change. There's 0 customer loyalty in the game, so you have to shop around every two years or so. All of the places listed were insanely high, with the exception of Amerirprise through Costco. They were equally as cheap, maybe a little cheaper, but the home insurance was 2k more per year for some reason. Therefore they were ruled out.

Shop it around. Pick 5 or 10 places to call and be ready to be spammed :( But I don't know of a better way.

• Love
My Model S 85D insurance is $1,000 per 6 months with $500 deductible and 250/500k coverage through safeco.com and our Nissan Leaf is $500 / 6 months and I guess Tesla should be 2 times more to insure, but this is still way too much IMO. If you don't have a loan increase the deductible to $1,500 which should reduce the premium considerably.